Would you trade Zetterberg if you can?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It was a shocking dive from Zetterberg. Never seen that from him.
From Nyquist? yes. Kronwall? yes. Larkin? yes.

Don't recall that from Zetterberg.

Are you a Wing Troll? That was a blatant trip. Toe pick by Zetterberg, yes, but stick between legs caused it. Kucherov was actively moving his stick between legs, no way Z goes down other wise in that situation.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Fill bed for him , probably going to get injured and miss most of the season . At 37 shouldn't be main forward with target on his back . Wings cannot retool on the fly. Tatar and Nyquist cannot replace D&Z and I don't know if Larkin and Mantha can do it . We need to draft more talent , we can do it next year . That is why I think we should trade him together with Tatar and Nyquist for next year drafts

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Well, we can assume he'd never accept a trade to Pittsburgh.

So what other teams are legitimate Cup contenders worth risking your legacy for?

Chicago
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Los Angeles

The only team he'd maybe want to go to is LA. He's too prideful to play for the others due to their rivalries with Detroit.

Link?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yes, his cap hit is 6.083 million for the remainder of his contract (2021).

Ok thanks

So the poster who suggested a recapture penalty would impede our ability to resign Larkin or mantha was wrong.

It actually creates cap room

And.. before anyone suggests we would still need to replace zetterberg the answer is in matter of fact, no.. . We will try to do so through the draft which will be enhanced via the return any zetterberg trade provides (draft picks and being worse)

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Personally I could see Nashville as a fit for him if he ever wanted a trade. Playing with Forsberg and Arvidsson and Ekholm, he could be the second line center they need. I dont necessarily wanna see him in a different jersey though, it would be up to him.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I mean yea, if he
Ok thanks

So the poster who suggested a recapture penalty would impede our ability to resign Larkin or mantha was wrong.

It actually creates cap room

And.. before anyone suggests we would still need to replace zetterberg the answer is in matter of fact, no.. . We will try to do so through the draft which will be enhanced via the return any zetterberg trade provides (draft picks and being worse)
I didn't mean Larkin or Mantha I meant future rfas, and it won't have much of an affect as I had thought as we do have some money contracts coming off before 21.
The money coming off from Green and Mrazek/weiss drop/whoever will be sufficient for the 3 big RFAs next season. But it's more likely, imo, that hank plays these next 2 seasons and we have the 5.083x2 or LTIR relief not outright retiring.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
That's Claypool's speculation. There isn't a link to substantiate it.

Probably just a feeling he gets from how Zetterberg seems to carry himself.

That seemed fairly obvious. I asked for a link because it's pretty presumptuous to say something like that.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That seemed fairly obvious. I asked for a link because it's pretty presumptuous to say something like that.
Why is it presumptuous? There's more evidence to suggest he's staying simply based on his contract. Find me a link that even hints at him wanting to leave or has a desire to win another Cup.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I think the link that started this thread but has a paywall (Athletic) Henrik Zetterberg states he wouldn't accept a trade to anywhere.

For those still on the fence, the Athletic is worth the subscription in my opinion. Especially for hockey people, I think the coverage is the best on the net.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Don't think he would request a trade which would be step 1 required to get anything done. Don't think the return would be big enough to warrant trading away the face of the franchise, which would be step 2 required for Holland to pull the trigger.

The thing is Z has a cup. While it would be nice to see him get one last run at another one, he's not an Alfredsson, Sundin, Bourqe etc. that never got to win. He doesn't need to go cup chasing. I think he's fine with sticking it out and retiring with the honor of being a lifetime Wing.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Why is it presumptuous? There's more evidence to suggest he's staying simply based on his contract. Find me a link that even hints at him wanting to leave or has a desire to win another Cup.

Exactly. So why, exactly, would it hurt his feels to play for some different fans? That was what I had a difficult time accepting. Can you cite any examples of what you claim?

I the link that started this but has a paywall (Athletic) here Henrik Zetterberg states he wouldn't accept a trade to anywhere.

For those still on the fence, the Athletic is worth the subscription in my opinion. Especially for hockey people, I think the coverage is the best on the net.

Thanks. I suppose that's the company answer. I wonder where he 'actually' sees his value in that decision. Does he think he can lead the team to the playoffs, or does he see himself as an extension of the Dan Cleary Hockey School? I wonder what he secretly thinks about his value? Perhaps he'd be more valuable to the club by returning futures, but he knows Holland can't do that because of the indirect admission of futility. None of us know, and all we can really quote is the PR white noise that surrounds this team.

I'd pay, but just like my decision not to re-up Center Ice, I'm not that interested in following the dumpster fire.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
If he doesn't have the NTC, it's not even up to him.
He is an asset, and if another GM comes with an "offer you can't refuse", you just do it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If he doesn't have the NTC, it's not even up to him.
He is an asset, and if another GM comes with an "offer you can't refuse", you just do it.

He makes it known he'll refuse to report and no one will offer anything, not that I think anyone would make that sort of offer in the first place.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
He makes it known he'll refuse to report and no one will offer anything, not that I think anyone would make that sort of offer in the first place.
Then he gets suspended and the whole contract is wiped off the books, including the recapture.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Then he gets suspended and the whole contract is wiped off the books, including the recapture.

He could just retire on the spot, too. It's not a game Holland wants to get involved in because he's going to lose if Z is determined to put the screws to him.

And this is without mentioning the harm this does the franchise for Holland to try to go nuclear on Z.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If Z wants to go, you try to find a deal. But with 3 years left on his deal after this season, he's not exactly a prime rental candidate. Wings would have to retain salary or there would have to be some kind of gentleman's agreement that he was going to retire. No contender has room for Z pushing 40 and still making $6 million for multiple seasons.

This isn't the kind of deal I can see Holland working to massage unless Zetterberg is determined to go.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If Z wants to go, you try to find a deal.

No, because there's a massive risk of a team not wanting or to LTIR him or Zetterberg just retiring on his own causing massive cap issues for Detroit. Once you trade him he's out of your control. You can't "gentleman's agreement" anything once he's gone. If he retires you're screwed. While under Detroit's control you at least have a greater chance of figuring out how to hide his cap hit.

Holland absolutely should not trade him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No, because there's a massive risk of a team not wanting or to LTIR him or Zetterberg just retiring on his own causing massive cap issues for Detroit. Once you trade him he's out of your control. You can't "gentleman's agreement" anything once he's gone. If he retires you're screwed. While under Detroit's control you at least have a greater chance of figuring out how to hide his cap hit.

I'm not sure holding your franchise player hostage to the tank patrol is better than the wrath of recapture.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

That Zetterberg recapture is not a big deal.

Let's say he is traded this season, goes for a contender and then retires. Red Wings will get a recapture penalty of 5.1million for 2 seasons.

So?

Replace him with Rasmussen ELC and it will cost the same 5.1M + 925k = 6.0M.

Basicly, trading Zetterberg will keep the salary cap things same, with or without him.

But he can land extra 1st rounders. That's a huge positive if he is dealt.

Also team will get weakened, so our our own 1st rounder will be higher.

It would be a rebuild-rebuild-rebuild move.

Reactions: StargateSG1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad