Proposal: Would you trade McDavid for Eichel and Taylor Hall?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
it comes down to McDavid vs Eichel. Hall's really not that much of a factor in the big picture. IMO

Do you want Prime Crosby or Tavares? everyone answers Crosby...
Do you want Prime Crosby or Tavares and Bobby Ryan? oh wait... Bobby Ryan... let me think about it for a sec :rolleyes:
your comparison is way off unless you think Tavares is the second best player in the league

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I find the "Hall is a superstar" argument equally outlandish.

Four players had more points than him over the previous two seasons: Stamkos, Getzlaf, Crosby, and Ovechkin. I'm guessing you think they're all superstars. You probably think Tavares is one, too. I get it: in order to support your argument, you have to cast Hall as a good-not-great winger who doesn't justify the purported huge difference between McDavid and Eichel. Even after his down season, I bet Hall will still be in the top-10.

You hate wingers, notwithstanding the fact that the two teams who've won four of the last five Stanley Cups have made heavy investments in wingers. You can pay wingers and still win. It's laughable that you try to marginalize Taylor Hall now, and it was laughable when you tried to do it in the context of a Myers-Hall swap. You're just plain wrong about Hall.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Four players had more points than him over the previous two seasons: Stamkos, Getzlaf, Crosby, and Ovechkin. I'm guessing you think they're all superstars. You probably think Tavares is one, too. I get it: in order to support your argument, you have to cast Hall as a good-not-great winger who doesn't justify the purported huge difference between McDavid and Eichel. Even after his down season, I bet Hall will still be in the top-10.

You hate wingers, notwithstanding the fact that the two teams who've won four of the last five Stanley Cups have made heavy investments in wingers. You can pay wingers and still win. It's laughable that you try to marginalize Taylor Hall now, and it was laughable when you tried to do it in the context of a Myers-Hall swap. You're just plain wrong about Hall.

I wasn't impressed when people posted Vanek goals over x period of time either. Not to mention the hilarity of posting a 2 year # including a breakout year that he didn't sustain.

i've watched taylor hall play... post all the numbers you want.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
your comparison is way off unless you think Tavares is the second best player in the league

i posted this before, and should've included this time... im not making a direct comparison of eichel to tavares, just the level of impact. Tavares is a damn good franchise center was the point

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
it comes down to McDavid vs Eichel. Hall's really not that much of a factor in the big picture. IMO

Do you want Prime Crosby or Tavares? everyone answers Crosby...
Do you want Prime Crosby or Tavares and Bobby Ryan? oh wait... Bobby Ryan... let me think about it for a sec :rolleyes:

Two can play this game: Do you want 110-point Crosby or the 90-point versions of Getzlaf/Perry? Do you want Crosby or Toews/Kane?

Gee, let me think about that...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Jordan Eberle and Pascal Dupuis were tied 3rd in points from 2011-2013 (ES)

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Who has more points since the start of the 2011-12 season? (ES)
Taylor Hall
or.... Jamie Benn

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yeah, because they each played with a dynamic top line forward.

great, let's draft McDavid and turn our own Pascal Dupuis' and Eberle's into top of the league wingers :duh:

and we can spend the 10 million we would have to pay Hall in a few years when we are contenders, in other areas

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Do people watch Taylor Hall? Or just envy the stats?

I would agree with most of the praise he gets for his talent... but he's a selfish hockey player, a system-less hockey player... his play is very immature. I wouldn't want him on this young team at all (as i've noted with denying trading even Myers for him.)

You're getting all star talent with Hall, but he's still a huge project in terms of being a franchise type player.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Do people watch Taylor Hall? Or just envy the stats?

I would agree with most of the praise he gets for his talent... but he's a selfish hockey player, a system-less hockey player... his play is very immature. I wouldn't want him on this young team at all (as i've noted with denying trading even Myers for him.)

You're getting all star talent with Hall, but he's still a huge project in terms of being a franchise type player.

When in doubt, start smearing. Apparently, he's a selfish player who gets a boatload of primaries by not using his teammates. Also, by most Oilers fans' accounts, he's ridiculously hard on himself and just wants to win. Sounds like exactly the kind of player teams should want.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
When in doubt, start smearing. Apparently, he's a selfish player who gets a boatload of primaries by not using his teammates. Also, by most Oilers fans' accounts, he's ridiculously hard on himself and just wants to win. Sounds like exactly the kind of player teams should want.

there's 2 whole other zones that are involved in hockey.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I travel the Oiler's board often and I can promise you that there is no "most" regarding Oiler's fans and Taylor Hall. For every poster who would agree with you, there is one who will call him a primadonna golden boy who doesn't get disciplined when he plays selfish.

If you watch him play regularly there are a lot holes in his game. Whether you think the points he scores outweighs that is up to you, but I can't call any player with his flaws a superstar in this league.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Selfish is not solely about the puck/passing/assists

I'm not in doubt

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Two can play this game: Do you want 110-point Crosby or the 90-point versions of Getzlaf/Perry? Do you want Crosby or Toews/Kane?

Gee, let me think about that...

Just a side note, but Crosby pre-concussion was not a 110 point player. The last two and half seasons before the concussion, Crosby put up a 120 pt season, on pace for 120 ish point season and in the concussion season he was on pace for 128. And he was just entering his prime.

So in the Toews example, the hypothetical would be more like 120 pt Crosby vs 75 pts Toews. Toews in the shortened season was ppg, but his highest total for a complete season is 76.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
great, let's draft McDavid and turn our own Pascal Dupuis' and Eberle's into top of the league wingers :duh:

and we can spend the 10 million we would have to pay Hall in a few years when we are contenders, in other areas

Maybe we wouldnt have to wait a few years to be contenders if we aquired some help for our young centers. Who was the last legit 1st liner we had? Vanek? Does Moulson really count?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Personally, while McDavid is the better prospect, I wouldn't be too surprised if Eichel was more productive as I think his game will translate better to the NHL.

As for the trade, instead of Hall I'd ask for:

Edm:
McDavid

Buf:
Eichel
Nurse
Option to flip 1st rd picks in '16

My reasoning is that Nurse would immediately become our top rated LHD and would solidify that position for a long time. I can find a winger in UFA or by trading lesser pieces, harder to find a potential young 1st pairing dman.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Maybe we wouldnt have to wait a few years to be contenders if we aquired some help for our young centers. Who was the last legit 1st liner we had? Vanek? Does Moulson really count?

I don't think hall moves the needle much in that regard, and even if he did I think it's a silly to rush at that cost

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Moulson would score a **** ton of goals on mcdavids wing.
And Hall would score more.
I don't think hall moves the needle much in that regard, and even if he did I think it's a silly to rush at that cost
I guess I just dont like the idea of all of our young guys being expected to develop without experienced talented players along side of them. I think Girgensons, Ennis and Moulson are ok but Hall would be another key piece that could really help.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
And Hall would score more.

I guess I just dont like the idea of all of our young guys being expected to develop without experienced talented players along side of them. I think Girgensons, Ennis and Moulson are ok but Hall would be another key piece that could really help.

Nothing about not taking this deal stops the team from trading lesser prospects and picks to acquire another top six guy.

Not that it matters for this debate, but is it crazy to think McDavid could definitely turn Fasching into Kunitz?

I also could see Girgs put up dirty numbers on McDavid's wing.

Fasching McDavid Girgs

:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad