Would you trade for B. Schenn?

gtwyc

FlyingHeadButts4All
Jun 5, 2011
los angeles, ca
dont see much of him but what ive seen from him is just a reckless dumby who has a lot of talent but might not ever reel himself in, in order to reach his potential. and i love our squad/depth right now so ill pass

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I would not go out of my way to try and bring Braden back to the crown but I would prefer him over lewis or stoll. In time I see BS becoming a more physical version of Stoll with a bit more offencive upside. 2nd/3rd line center.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Do we really need another RW?

My post was meant to discuss players the Kings traded away for MR10 who have either proven Lombardi right or wrong regarding the weaknesses in their game. With Schenn it was his 200-foot game, with Simmonds it was his offensive consistency. Schenn has proven nothing...Simmonds...proven plenty.

Had nothing to do with trading for anyone. Simmonds ain't coming back.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
There's a reason Dean traded him and he's yet to prove Dean wrong about that. Simmonds on the other hand....:nod:

I have a few concerns with Simmonds when it comes to money.

Firstly, that cap hit of $3.975 million is a lot, especially considering he's got three goals and nine points in 20 games so far. He has scored better in the past, but there is always that concern his numbers could dip in the Kings system, so lets say he's good for 45-50 points a season in LA. That's a hefty cap hit for that. Add in he has a modified NTC and it makes him even less attractive.

Secondly, the contract is backloaded, meaning he's actually going to get the bulk of his contract in future years. He signed a 6 year, $23.85 million contract that started this year. After this season, he still has 5 years and over $21 million left on the deal and sees increases of roughly $500,000 per year until reaching $5 million in the final year of the deal.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
My post was meant to discuss players the Kings traded away for MR10 who have either proven Lombardi right or wrong regarding the weaknesses in their game. With Schenn it was his 200-foot game, with Simmonds it was his offensive consistency. Schenn has proven nothing...Simmonds...proven plenty.
Had nothing to do with trading for anyone. Simmonds ain't coming back.

Simmonds ? In what way? You realize his numbers thru the first 2 years were padded stats coming from Lavvy's ridiculous all offense/no defense pond hockey system and ALOT of PP time parked by the net with Giroux and Jagr doing the work. Berube has installed a new system that focuses on defense first and Simmonds isn't strong there, he makes poor decisions in his own end and has struggled all year. He's a good 3rd line winger with a strong physical game. The Kings have plenty of those already.

It's not likely he'll finish the year in PHilliy, he'll be flipped (with B Schenn perhaps, it's been in a lot of rumors) for a top D, which the Fliyers need badly or a top 6 power forward (which one of the local media guys said he heard Homer wants)
btu the Top D they've been hunting for a couple years now.
McGinn is just as good and much cheaper, (775K vs 4 million) they'll just bring him up from the PHantoms.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Simmonds ? In what way? You realize his numbers thru the first 2 years were padded stats coming from Lavvy's ridiculous all offense/no defense pond hockey system and ALOT of PP time parked by the net with Giroux and Jagr doing the work. Berube has installed a new system that focuses on defense first and Simmonds isn't strong there, he makes poor decisions in his own end and has struggled all year. He's a good 3rd line winger with a strong physical game. The Kings have plenty of those already.

It's not likely he'll finish the year in PHilliy, he'll be flipped (with B Schenn perhaps, it's been in a lot of rumors) for a top D, which the Fliyers need badly or a top 6 power forward (which one of the local media guys said he heard Homer wants)
btu the Top D they've been hunting for a couple years now.
McGinn is just as good and much cheaper, (775K vs 4 million) they'll just bring him up from the PHantoms.

I like and agree with most of what you say but this bit in particular stands out as a reminder to all of us Simmonds fans. What you have written there is something that nears repeating when it comes to Simmonds.

He is a good 3rd line winger with a strong physical game. He has good hands and can contribute offencively but he isn't one those players who can do everything at the same time. Simmonds is a player who can either focus on being a gritty O player or as we saw him during his time here can play a gritty D minded two way player.

From what I have seen of him during his time in Philly is that he tends to be completely focused on being an O minded forward with a bit of sandpaper to his game. Dee of course (and a couple of other posters here who follow the Fliers way more closely then most of us me included ever do) you have a much better read on things so I defer to your position on this and all things Philly but I hope I am at least somewhat right in my assessment.

I love WS' game but he would have to do a ton of work to make in a Kings uni again or at least judging on how he plays today it sure looks like he would.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I like and agree with most of what you say but this bit in particular stands out as a reminder to all of us Simmonds fans. What you have written there is something that nears repeating when it comes to Simmonds.

He is a good 3rd line winger with a strong physical game. He has good hands and can contribute offencively but he isn't one those players who can do everything at the same time. Simmonds is a player who can either focus on being a gritty O player or as we saw him during his time here can play a gritty D minded two way player.

From what I have seen of him during his time in Philly is that he tends to be completely focused on being an O minded forward with a bit of sandpaper to his game. Dee of course (and a couple of other posters here who follow the Fliers way more closely then most of us me included ever do) you have a much better read on things so I defer to your position on this and all things Philly but I hope I am at least somewhat right in my assessment.I love WS' game but he would have to do a ton of work to make in a Kings uni again or at least judging on how he plays today it sure looks like he would.

That is it, and in some systems with the right personnel around him and not with unreasonable expectations placed on him, he'd be a contributor. But he doesn't have a complete game, that is pretty much required for the Kings. The Kings already have more than enough 3rd line RW's who are positionally sound on both sides of the puck and succesful in all 3 zones who make a lot less and contribute a lot more , esp defending. And the Kings forwards have the ability to think and act quickly, with speed. He's struggles with that.
The other thing is the 4 million he makes, which is needed elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad