Would you trade for B. Schenn?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Thread on the trade boards about someone on TSN saying Schenn is being quietly shopped.

Normally I wouldn't believe it but it is Philly and Holmgren, so who knows.

Skimming the thread, seems they prefer defense, so not really sure we'd be a good trading partner, but I know we have a few Flyers followers in our midst who may be able to provide more input on what Philly would want.

Question is, would you trade for Schenn?

Be interesting, since he's basically been touted by DL as the next Mike Richards, and we all know that is about as close to being a DL player as you can get. Plus we are familiar with Schenn as we drafted him, and he would have some familiarity with some of the Kings players.

The cost might be prohibitive, but he'd definitely provide some solid offense to the team and would give us a trifecta of talent down the middle for the next decade or so.

Martinez, Stoll (to even out salary), Vey and a 1st for Schenn and Gustafsson?

Or are we better off just sticking with what we have?

EDIT: Mods, can you adjust the title to say "Would you trade for B. Schenn?"

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I like what we have. After seeing Schenn for the past year or two, i'm not sold on him. I don't think he has the same hockey sense or leadership that this team thrives on. Maybe he gets that with age, but not seeing it yet.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I would love B. Scheen back. I think Clifford would be something the flyers might be interested in. I don't know if id trade martinez thou hes a important role player for us. Hes the perfect fill in/regular piece in case of injury.Most important who would replace him shultz? I know i wouldnt be comfy knowing im a injury away from him playing regular. I agree stoll would have to be a piece going back salary wise. I dunno if we really have anyone to send there that would round out the trade.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
No. I don't want Schenn. As a person who watches every game of the Flyers and Kings, he's not anywhere close to being a future Mike Richards. Secondly, he plays a position of strength for the Kings and even if we traded both our centers, he'd still only be getting 3rd line time.

And the Flyers are shopping him but would need to be a really good deal to let him go. I'm talking Voynov for Schenn type. I really don't think they are going to trade Schenn because he's not worth as much as they think he's worth.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I have serious questions about Schenn's overall game, and think he's far too one dimensional at this point. I also think he picks fights far too often with guys he has no business fighting and ends-up taking some serious shots, which is detrimental to his health. I'd be slightly intrigued, but am positive another team would offer more. Also:

According to McKenzie on TSN radio:

"Flyers want to get a really good D if they deal Brayden Schenn or Couturier"

That's Voynov.......nope

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Thread on the trade boards about someone on TSN saying Schenn is being quietly shopped.

Normally I wouldn't believe it but it is Philly and Holmgren, so who knows.

Skimming the thread, seems they prefer defense, so not really sure we'd be a good trading partner, but I know we have a few Flyers followers in our midst who may be able to provide more input on what Philly would want.

Question is, would you trade for Schenn?
Be interesting, since he's basically been touted by DL as the next Mike Richards, and we all know that is about as close to being a DL player as you can get. Plus we are familiar with Schenn as we drafted him, and he would have some familiarity with some of the Kings players.

The cost might be prohibitive, but he'd definitely provide some solid offense to the team and would give us a trifecta of talent down the middle for the next decade or so.

Martinez, Stoll (to even out salary), Vey and a 1st for Schenn and Gustafsson?

Or are we better off just sticking with what we have?

EDIT: Mods, can you adjust the title to say "Would you trade for B. Schenn?"

Having seen every games he's played as a FLyer, NO. And he's nothing like Mike Richards, not even close.

He was overhyped. And I'm not sure where that came from. The day of the trade, I read scouting reports from his last year with the Wheat Kings and Blades and they gave him pretty good ratings for his offensive work, but not the work in the neutral zone or his own end, esp his own end. Everything those reports pointed out about the areas he was lacking in defensively were all true and haven't changed, esp the parts about his costly turnovers and his lack of puck protection ability and his habititual disappearing for games on end.

He's loses far too many board battles, turns the puck over far too much and makes a lot of costly errors that go into the Flyers net or nearly there. He's just not comfortable there and it shows. He tends to shrink in critical game situations, he's not a 'lean on' guy and he disappears for long stretches of games at time. And he's hockey IQ is below average, limited ice vision.
He's fine in the offensive zone, drives to the net, phsyical , etc, but he's very streaky and inconsistant.

HAsn't shown, eps in his own end, anything close to the level of responsiblity a top line centers needs, usually loses those battles which is why he was moved to wing. He's been better there because he doesn't have t o be as responsible.
He'll be a 25 goal, 55-60 point role playe on the 2nd line, not a leader, a follower. And a defensive liablity.

And I really don't get the Richards comparisons, at 20 Richards led the PHantoms to an AHL Championship. In his 3rd NHL season, where Schenn is now, Richards put up not only 75 pts but did so against facing top competition (schenn doesn't) and was the go to guy on PK, (schenn isn't). Despite that , his best work wasn't the 75 points it was how many he prevented on a nightly basis, due to the high hockey IQ, guts and fangs
He was and remains a real leader (schenn isn't) and his work in the playoffs vs Ovechkin in the 2nd round was outstanding, never shrank from playoff pressure on game 7 OT pressure. 3rd year in the league and he 'd already led them to an AHL championship and the 2008 Easern Conf Final.

Basically Richards was and remains a complete player, confident in all 3 zones, positianlly sound on both sides of the puck , mean, nasty, played his backside off every night, was and is a SOB to play against, physical, PK, PP, one very smart multidimensional stud. Schenn isn't any of that, he's a good offensive player, but not much else.

There is a very good reason why Schenn was dealt and I think it's because DL saw the reality of him when he came to the Kings. There is a reason he was benched after 8 games as to not lower his trade value (something the Flyers are finding out now; the scouts are reporting back and there's a reason they all want Coururier, he's the one with most upside , a terrific 2 way player with great vision) who at 20 is alreay showing the roots that once he matures physically, will allow him to be one of the best 2 way forwards in the game. The Flyers missed the boat when they turned down the Yotes (Yandle) nad hte Ducks (Ryan) for Schenn. He'll be packaged with another player I think by the deadline, the FLyers need a top D badly.

Schenn has nothing the Kings need, they have all far better talent in manchester and in TT.
And since what the Flyers want in return is a top 6 Power forward or a top D, that's a trade that won't happen.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
I don't see much of that guy, I remember in a playoff game they're losing he kinda put aside the game and started taking runs at Volchenkov who hit him early iirc. Of course this is just one game but I have doubts DL would want him back after seeing him in action as an outsider for 2,5 seasons.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Schenn was at the absolute zenith of his value the day we traded him for Richards. He had torn up juniors, was coming off one of the best individual performances at the WJCs of all time, and was considered the best prospect in the world.

At no other point before or after would Schenn retain the value necessary to land a player like Mike Richards.

LAX attack*

Schenn was at the absolute zenith of his value the day we traded him for Richards. He had torn up juniors, was coming off one of the best individual performances at the WJCs of all time, and was considered the best prospect in the world.

At no other point before or after would Schenn retain the value necessary to land a player like Mike Richards.

That was DL giving a well-deserved slap to the face to HFboards collectively

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I would love B. Scheen back. I think Clifford would be something the flyers might be interested in. I don't know if id trade martinez thou hes a important role player for us. Hes the perfect fill in/regular piece in case of injury.Most important who would replace him shultz? I know i wouldnt be comfy knowing im a injury away from him playing regular. I agree stoll would have to be a piece going back salary wise. I dunno if we really have anyone to send there that would round out the trade.

In recognition of Martinez's fill in value, I included Gustafsson coming our way. A-Mart is better, but Gustafsson, to my anyways, is underrated. Again, I'm sure of Philly-faithful/not-so-faithful can address Gustafsson better than I I'm sure.

Isn't he a center? Aren't we full on those?

That's another reason Stoll would go the other way.

As for the Schenn/Richards comparision, I belive those revolve more around Schenn's upside at the time of the draft, mainly his offense and his leadership. Schenn may have taken a wrong turn at Philadelphia, I'm not sure, but that's where I believe DL started his stating his comparisions. Obviously, that may have changed since.

Speaking of change, thanks to whichever mod altered the headline. Much appreciated. :handclap:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Isn't he a center? Aren't we full on those?

No, we don't have a 3rd line center.
And this is exactly where i would put him.

Brown - Kopitar - Toffoli
Pearson - Richards - Carter
Frattin - Schenn - williams
Clifford - Lewis - Nolan

This is a lineup i wanna see.
Lot's of potential to shuffle if needed.

3 potent offensive line plus 1 elite shut down line
You can't ask for more

KingKopitar11*

Clifford - Lewis - Nolan

You can't ask for more

You send Lewis to Greenland if this were to happen so Vey can take fourth C. I wouldn't want Lewis in the line up over Vey

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I probably like Schenn more than others here, but I would pass. Like someone mentioned, it would probably take a Voynov to obtain Schenn, and I don't want to lose Voynov. Besides, we're pretty strong down the middle.

As long as King keeps playing like he has, we really don't need to add anyone else.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
In recognition of Martinez's fill in value, I included Gustafsson coming our way. A-Mart is better, but Gustafsson, to my anyways, is underrated. Again, I'm sure of Philly-faithful/not-so-faithful can address Gustafsson better than I I'm sure.

He's very good, the best up and coming defenseman the Flyers have. Which is why I think they are going to want to keep him no matter what. His upside is higher than Martinez and they know they need defense.

HolyShot*

"Martinez, Stoll (to even out salary), Vey and a 1st for Schenn and Gustafsson? "

Not even close. They'd want voynov, toff/pearson, lewis and a 1st.

I wouldn't trade for schenn because he's not even a wing and he hasn't done anything yet. No thanks.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

Clifford - Lewis - Nolan

You can't ask for more

Frattin isn't playing LW, go listen to Lombardi's radio interview yesterday, he said putting Frattin on LW was a mistake. Also, Schenn has been much better playing wing

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago

Clifford - Lewis - Nolan

You can't ask for more

at this point i would rather see Vey in the #3C slot. the #4C with Lewis or AA.

i was so hopeful to see what Schenn could become and crushed when the trade happened. LA hadn't had any type of forward prospect close to him in the 20+ years i've followed them. i wanted to see that finally play out for the Kings and the fans.

i knew what Richards was and how special he is, but was still crushed by the trade at first. for me it was similar to staring at a light to long. i was just to close to see the trade rationally. in hindsight it is a trade that will compare to the Gretzky trade in the long run. Gretz helped stabilize and bring credibility along with some success. Richards helped finally bring a Cup to LA.

i was a big Schenn fan. but now.....i don't do this. i've watched plenty of Kings East games and i see what others are commenting on and agree with them.

i like what i see in Vey's game so far. perhaps Schenn has more offensive upside, but Vey will end up being a better 200' foot player.

no to Schenn and yes to Vey

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Having seen every games he's played as a FLyer, NO. And he's nothing like Mike Richards, not even close.

He was overhyped. And I'm not sure where that came from. The day of the trade, I read scouting reports from his last year with the Wheat Kings and Blades and they gave him pretty good ratings for his offensive work, but not the work in the neutral zone or his own end, esp his own end. Everything those reports pointed out about the areas he was lacking in defensively were all true and haven't changed, esp the parts about his costly turnovers and his lack of puck protection ability and his habititual disappearing for games on end.

He's loses far too many board battles, turns the puck over far too much and makes a lot of costly errors that go into the Flyers net or nearly there. He's just not comfortable there and it shows. He tends to shrink in critical game situations, he's not a 'lean on' guy and he disappears for long stretches of games at time. And he's hockey IQ is below average, limited ice vision.
He's fine in the offensive zone, drives to the net, phsyical , etc, but he's very streaky and inconsistant.

HAsn't shown, eps in his own end, anything close to the level of responsiblity a top line centers needs, usually loses those battles which is why he was moved to wing. He's been better there because he doesn't have t o be as responsible.
He'll be a 25 goal, 55-60 point role playe on the 2nd line, not a leader, a follower. And a defensive liablity.

And I really don't get the Richards comparisons, at 20 Richards led the PHantoms to an AHL Championship. In his 3rd NHL season, where Schenn is now, Richards put up not only 75 pts but did so against facing top competition (schenn doesn't) and was the go to guy on PK, (schenn isn't). Despite that , his best work wasn't the 75 points it was how many he prevented on a nightly basis, due to the high hockey IQ, guts and fangs
He was and remains a real leader (schenn isn't) and his work in the playoffs vs Ovechkin in the 2nd round was outstanding, never shrank from playoff pressure on game 7 OT pressure. 3rd year in the league and he 'd already led them to an AHL championship and the 2008 Easern Conf Final.

Basically Richards was and remains a complete player, confident in all 3 zones, positianlly sound on both sides of the puck , mean, nasty, played his backside off every night, was and is a SOB to play against, physical, PK, PP, one very smart multidimensional stud. Schenn isn't any of that, he's a good offensive player, but not much else.

There is a very good reason why Schenn was dealt and I think it's because DL saw the reality of him when he came to the Kings. There is a reason he was benched after 8 games as to not lower his trade value (something the Flyers are finding out now; the scouts are reporting back and there's a reason they all want Coururier, he's the one with most upside , a terrific 2 way player with great vision) who at 20 is alreay showing the roots that once he matures physically, will allow him to be one of the best 2 way forwards in the game. The Flyers missed the boat when they turned down the Yotes (Yandle) nad hte Ducks (Ryan) for Schenn. He'll be packaged with another player I think by the deadline, the FLyers need a top D badly.

Schenn has nothing the Kings need, they have all far better talent in manchester and in TT.
And since what the Flyers want in return is a top 6 Power forward or a top D, that's a trade that won't happen.

Lengthy... but good.

:handclap:

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
"Martinez, Stoll (to even out salary), Vey and a 1st for Schenn and Gustafsson? "

I wouldn't trade for schenn because he's not even a wing and he hasn't done anything yet. No thanks.

And I would want Kate Upton at my beck and call, but that's not going to happen. There is no way Schenn is worth all that, that's more than the Kings traded for Mike Richards. The Flyers would trade Schenn for Voynov, the Kings wouldn't

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

mj-laughing.gif

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
QUOTE]
This Flyers fan is a HUGE Gus fan and I don't want him traded, he and Grossman are the only brights on D for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad