Would You Trade Antti Niemi?

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
I will drive Ni3mi to the airport with a zamboni.
2417731577_fff52bace6.jpg

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
He totally wasn't a solution either. He couldn't even make a lot of normally routine saves this year.

.... We all know how Doug Wilson likes to look at the playoffs for his model.

This year the two finalists had franchise goalies and arguably the best player before he got injured was another goalie in Montreal.

Watch for the copycat...

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
.... We all know how Doug Wilson likes to look at the playoffs for his model.

This year the two finalists had franchise goalies and arguably the best player before he got injured was another goalie in Montreal.

Watch for the copycat...

I think that ship has sailed.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I think that ship has sailed.

I hear you. I wonder inside if he sees either Stalock or Niemi as that long term answer though - that was my suggestion. If he doesn't, I wonder if he's going to be tempted to go for Demko with that first round pick...

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
He's not really a problem. He's just not really a solution either. Goaltending is replaceable and expendable in this day and age.

Disagree, Niemi has had one good season as a Shark. He's a liability in net and a huge momentum killer. His lateral speed, glove high, rebound control, and poise under pressure are all problems.

Fortunately, like you said, goaltending is replaceable and expendable in this day and age.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Disagree, Niemi has had one good season as a Shark. He's a liability in net and a huge momentum killer. His lateral speed, glove high, rebound control, and poise under pressure are all problems.

Fortunately, like you said, goaltending is replaceable and expendable in this day and age.

I would say two good seasons but when Niemi's good, he's good and when he's bad, he's bad. He's certainly limited to some extent but he showed he can backstop a team to a Cup if they're good enough. To me, that just shows any NHL caliber goalie can back stop a team if they're good enough so the focus should be on making the group of skaters in front of the goalie as good as it possibly can be and develop your own goalies then let them go when they start to get pricey. Those are things this organization should be able to do but they've been cutting their homegrown goalies short since Nabokov left.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I would say two good seasons but when Niemi's good, he's good and when he's bad, he's bad. He's certainly limited to some extent but he showed he can backstop a team to a Cup if they're good enough. To me, that just shows any NHL caliber goalie can back stop a team if they're good enough so the focus should be on making the group of skaters in front of the goalie as good as it possibly can be and develop your own goalies then let them go when they start to get pricey. Those are things this organization should be able to do but they've been cutting their homegrown goalies short since Nabokov left.
They stopped doing their own post Strelow. Greiss had minimal exposure to Strelow. Stalock was minimal but is effectively post Strelow. Their hit rate on goalies was never good but Strelow had a better hit rate. You can figure the implications.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In pressure situations, Niemi's been good. One loss in OT come the playoffs...

It doesn't matter if he's giving up goals in non-pressure situations not giving his team a chance to win. His save percentage is pedestrian in the playoffs for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad