Would You Trade Antti Niemi?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
... I don't want to spend big cap $$ for Miller or a simular NHL vet goalie. He may be over rated even know he's not a bad goalie and i just don't think that will work. I'd rather find the next J Quick goalie, get him on the upside so to speak. Stalock may be a top 5 NHL goalie, we won't know until we give him the chance.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
It depends:

Let's say Doug Wilson sat him and his agent down and explained that the organization was committed to letting Alex Stalock play more games (highly likely) and possibly take over the starting job. In response Niemi's agent understandably says that is unacceptable (that could potentially lower his clients value, you have to play sixty games). Then you trade him... for a another goaltender or the Sharks need another goaltender before he is traded.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It depends:

Let's say Doug Wilson sat him and his agent down and explained that the organization was committed to letting Alex Stalock play more games (highly likely) and possibly take over the starting job. In response Niemi's agent understandably says that is unacceptable (that could potentially lower his clients value, you have to play sixty games). Then you trade him... for a another goaltender or the Sharks need another goaltender before he is traded.

Niemi's agent saying it's unacceptable doesn't lower his trade value since he doesn't have a movement clause that we're aware of. But the reason why it's a solid asset management move is because getting a goalie in the free agent market is something they've had recent success with to the point that it is an option to pursue that doesn't cost them assets outside of cap dollars. Whether they're rebuilding or whether they're contending, it makes little difference. They can get a goalie in free agency to put up comparable to numbers to Niemi or to platoon with Stalock. So even if another team is only willing to pony up a 2nd round pick for him, they're better off doing it, re-signing Stalock and going out to get any number of guys that can do what Niemi did here.

TeamTeal8

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
Would you like this Goalie tandem?

I'm in the camp the Sharks should trade Niemi. I think he's lost the form that helped him lead the Hawks to a cup. Saying that however, I think he still has enough value to land us a pretty good defenseman or winger.

So my idea would be to re-sign Stalock to a 3-year deal and sign Marty Brodeur to a 1-year deal with Stalock getting the majority of the play-time. What better backup goalie for Stalock to grow from than a sure HOFer?!

Your thoughts?

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I'm in the camp the Sharks should trade Niemi. I think he's lost the form that helped him lead the Hawks to a cup. Saying that however, I think he still has enough value to land us a pretty good defenseman or winger.

So my idea would be to re-sign Stalock to a 3-year deal and sign Marty Brodeur to a 1-year deal with Stalock getting the majority of the play-time. What better backup goalie for Stalock to grow from than a sure HOFer?!

Your thoughts?

I think Brodeur wants playing time. He doesnt want to mentor a goalie.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I like the idea of it, since they play the same way roughly. He might be willing to come here if we really do allow the position to be a competition.

However even though the idea sounds nice, not sure he will be good enough if sat lock falters , leaving us really weak in net.

In short. I wouldn't be upset if it happened.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
Stalock
Montoya

inigo-montoya-prepare-to-die-t-shirt-causes-d-L-iLMG1C.jpeg

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Would rather keep niemi for 1 more year and lose him for nothing than sign brodeur at any cost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad