Would You Trade Antti Niemi?

sweHockeypunk21

Jul 24, 2007
CALI
Would you give up Niemi if we got good value for him? I personally would get the most value I could out of him and hope to sign Martin Brodeur to mentor Stalock.

No, Keep NEMO
Yes: Stalock 1A and call up Grosenick as 1B or sign a back-up
Yes: Acquire another starting goalie via Trade
Yes: Stalock + FA goalie (Broduer/Miller etc.)

Last edited:

JayP812

The Team of Tomorrow
Aug 16, 2010
Bay Area
I say keep him, but tell him he and Stalock are on equal footing, and he needs to earn the #1 spot again. If he does, we stay the course. If Stalock comes out on top, shop Nemo at the deadline/let him walk in FA.

sweHockeypunk21

Jul 24, 2007
CALI
Depends on if they trade Thornton and Marleau. If we're going full monty, then might as well trade Niemi as well.

I personally don't see Nemo as the goalie that will get this core over the top. With our forward group intact from last year, and Burns on D we are already a better team in my opinion. We can contend without Niemi with what we have right now, and we have plenty of space to add nice complementary pieces. Niemi would fetch us a nice draft pick or possibly help us fetch a defensman while not affecting our core. Stalock looks good, and if we could pick-up Brodeur it would be cool to see those two battle it out for the starting role :laugh:.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
If the right trade were there, yes. No less than a late first and preferably in 2015.

I would not sign Miller or Brodeur as both are over the hill and would expect too many starts. I might go Hiller with the understanding that he has to compete for the starting job. I would give no option to TM to declare a vet goalie THE #1, regardless of performance.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I would trade him at the first possible offer and not even think twice.

I would do something like Niemi+Demers for Mike Green+Holtby.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Yes. Regardless of what happens with the big guns, I don't want Nemo is teal next season. I want to give Stalock a chance and sign a 1B like Montoya or trade for Reimer. No Miller, Hiller or Brodeur. If Montoya and Reimer aren't options I'd be fine with Tim Tom or Bryz for a season.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I wouldn't. You deal Niemi and then you have to find another goalie, open the #1 job for Stalock and Nemo. Best man wins.

Last edited:

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
Trade Niente is a no brainer. Hell, I'd trade him for a good set of goalie equipment. Just to be rid of this poor excuse for an NHL goalie.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Trade him for a 2015 1st rd draft pick. Get a goalie with a low asking price like Reimer to replace him. Play Reimer and Stalock equally and let the better goalie win the role for the playoffs.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
Time to let the Sloth GO!

sloth-meme.jpg

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
We clearly are not planning on contending next season, so there is zero reason to keep him. He'll be traded, assuming they get Stalock signed.

I truly don't believe we'll see any of Thornton, Marleau or Niemi on the team next season, which indicates about as big a tank as the Sharks can be expected to execute.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I'm in no rush to trade him

If we do we better have someone to push stalock hard and he better bring in at least a high draft pick

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
A Niemi/Stalock split would be fine, as long as Todd is grooming Alex for the starting position ... especially for the playoffs. The two of them get along quite well.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think a lot of people may not realize Niemi is an impending UFA. The Sharks just lost Boyle for nothing and I'm betting they see that is a pretty big mistake, they are not going to re-sign Niemi, and they certainly are not going to want to lose him for nothing when they are talking rebuild to the media.

If a team want's him, they'll trade him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think a lot of people may not realize Niemi is an impending UFA. The Sharks just lost Boyle for nothing and I'm betting they see that is a pretty big mistake, they are not going to re-sign Niemi, and they certainly are not going to want to lose him for nothing when they are talking rebuild to the media.

If a team want's him, they'll trade him.

The main problem is his value right now. The what have you done lately effect is strongly against him right now. He doesn't even have the best track record to really give him a reputation as anything right now.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
The main problem is his value right now. The what have you done lately effect is strongly against him right now. He doesn't even have the best track record to really give him a reputation as anything right now.

He has a better track record than Halak or Miller. A 1st is not out of reason for Niemi. He's a year removed from being a vezina finalist and has won a cup. What had Miller and Halak done recently that warranted what they got?

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Only if the price is right.

There aren't too many reasonable options out there. No thanks to Miller, Hiller etc. They'd be most likely expecting a starting role and as DW has embraced Stalock so much, they don't seem realistic. Niemi on the other hand might want a chance redeem himself as a NHL starter.

I think Niemi and Stalock can battle it out. If Stalock comes out on top, trade Niemi or let him walk. If Niemi comes out on top, there's no harm as long as Alex gets a reasonable amount of starts (didn't he himself say that he's not ready for a starter role?)

In addition, it's not like Niemi is locked up for 5 years at 6M. One year at 3,8M isn't a problem.

My two cents..?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

There are teams desperate for goalies, he has value. The team he has almost no value to is the Sharks. He's an impending UFA goalie who is going to demand too much salary from a team that is rebuilding.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
I want to say trade him, but non of those other options are any better, if not worse. Any decent FA goalie will cost just as much or more than Neimi.

I think the best thing to do is let Stalock and Neimi battle it out to determine who is the number one goalie rather than defaulting it to Neimi like this past year. If Stalock ends up being the clear #1 then they can deal Neimi at the deadline.

But first thing is first and they need to sign Stalock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad