Would you take Prime Gretzky, or Prime Crosby and Malkin?

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Thought this would be an interesting comparison. In a 1v1, it's Gretzky every time. But if we compare him to the Pens duo, that changes things. Would you choose Gretzky, or the Pens duo if given the choice?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Well if we assume Gretzky's peak is the 90 goal, 210+ points versus 120 points for Sid/110 points for Malkin then it's pretty obviously Gretzky.

But that's not accounting for the time period in which they played or anything like that.

Reactions: slapKing

Crow

May 19, 2014
I’m thought I was in the minority here, and I find Malkin a touch overrated because he isn’t as good in the playoffs as the regular season, and he gets hurt a lot. Actually Crosby is hurt a lot too but at least he plays aggressive defense and maintains his play more in the postseason.

I guess I’m going with Gretzky. Changed my mind.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
People tend to think that anyone could score with superstar X but it's just not true. But with Gretzky it was often hard not to because he would give you chance after chance after chance. I watched Dave Lumley look like an all star playing with Gretzky after being so firmly entrencehed in Sather's dog house that people almost started calling him Fido. And if additional evidence is needed I point to the games between October 18th and October 29th of 1980.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Tough one since the extra cap that comes along with taking Gretzky would probably be enough for a really good winger. It's a toss up but I went with the duo.

Reactions: slapKing

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
As amazing as Gretzky was, he's only one player and never won a cup after leaving a team so stacked they won another cup even after losing 99, Kurri, and Coffey. I'd rather have 2 of the best players ever than likely the best one if the goal is to win a cup.
Kurri was on all 5 cup teams, your point is still valid though.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

rogking65

May 13, 2016
nothing on these forums irks me more than the stanley cup argument to gauge how good a player was. Just don't comprehend this rationale

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Anyone not taking Gretzky is being ridiculous
Gretzky would probably outscore a prime Crosby by about 20-30 points or so (he wouldn't come remotely close to his 80s totals). Is that 20-30 points really worth a prime Malkin?

Gretzky proved he couldn't do it alone in Los Angeles. On the other hand, Sid and Geno won Cups with less than impressive rosters. I think people often overstate the importance of a single player, even one as good as The Great One.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
To think prime Gretzky by himself basically almost outscored prime Malkin and Crosby together...

The Great One.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Messier > Esposito

Orr can win you cups, but it's still two cups versus Crosby and Malkins 3 cups.

For peak - Esposito >> Messier for me. Career maybe you can make a case for Messier, but I still prefer Espo. Not sure how that's relevant to anything I said though.

Kunitz has 4 cups. Is he better than any of them?

I probably have Crosby 5th all-time. Still think all of Lemieux, Orr and Gretzky are a significant tier above, and despite how good Malkin is, I take any of those 3 alone above that duo.

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad