Speculation: Would you take Letang for 64 mil per 8 years?

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
Yes, I would take him for the Leafs or someone else in our division where he can put that team in cap hell.

I would probably give him 7+ on a shorter contract but 8 years is too risky. Maybe 3 years (although the point is moist BC he wants crazy money over the long term). We probably aren't in the right (team) developmental stage for him anyways.

I really have no indication that Pittsburgh wants to trade him for a reasonable price or, if they did, that he would want to sign in Buffalo. I imagine he'd demand more money to play here than in Pittsburgh.

I mean, in a perfect world, I'd give up something like Ehrhoff and 16 for Letang, and then I'd sign Letang to $6M per, TOPS. But that's so not going to happen that it's not worth discussing.

Honestly, I might not even do it then, because I have pretty low confidence that he's going to be nearly as dynamic on any other team. I'd probably just stay the hell away.

I definitely wouldn't do that, Ehrhoff was as good as, arguably better than Letang all around with a much, much worse supporting cast.

AlsPug

Nov 1, 2011
I really have no indication that Pittsburgh wants to trade him for a reasonable price or, if they did, that he would want to sign in Buffalo. I imagine he'd demand more money to play here than in Pittsburgh.

I mean, in a perfect world, I'd give up something like Ehrhoff and 16 for Letang, and then I'd sign Letang to $6M per, TOPS. But that's so not going to happen that it's not worth discussing.

Honestly, I might not even do it then, because I have pretty low confidence that he's going to be nearly as dynamic on any other team. I'd probably just stay the hell away.

Thank you for your nice reply. I've allready noticed how nice you treat hockey noobies like me. :) I do really appreciate your expanded answeres, same as Rob Paxon ones. :)

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Letang doesn't play defense. Don't want anything to do with him. We already have enough offensive D man already on this team and in our prospect pool.

Letang doesn't play defense. Don't want anything to do with him. We already have enough offensive D man already on this team and in our prospect pool.

I have to question this assertion. I tend to think our problem is not enough offensive defensemen, or at the very least, not enough defensemen capable of clean zone exits and solid possession numbers.

Ehrhoff is certainly an offensive defenseman, but his defense has been superb as well.
Sekera has never really been an offensive defenseman, just stereotyped as one.
Weber definitely isn't one.
Sulzer has never been an offensive dynamo.
It's probably too early to tell with Pysyk.

And that leaves Tyler Myers who right now is just bad at everything.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I want no part of overpaying a one-dimensional defenseman whose inflated offensive stats were largely due to playing on the most talented offensive team in the NHL. Letang is this year's version of Mike Green IMO - and the ridiculous contract that he'll likely get from some team will become just as quickly the kind of albatross deal as what Washington got stuck with on Green.

If the Sabres don't look at what happened with Ehrhoff when he switched from Vancouver's high-flying offense to Buffalo's less-talented attack as a comparable and accept the strong odds that adding Letang will do more to harm their quest for more two-way players than aid their scoring production, then they're fools.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I want no part of overpaying a one-dimensional defenseman whose inflated offensive stats were largely due to playing on the most talented offensive team in the NHL. Letang is this year's version of Mike Green IMO - and the ridiculous contract that he'll likely get from some team will become just as quickly the kind of albatross deal as what Washington got stuck with on Green.

If the Sabres don't look at what happened with Ehrhoff when he switched from Vancouver's high-flying offense to Buffalo's less-talented attack as a comparable and accept the strong odds that adding Letang will do more to harm their quest for more two-way players than aid their scoring production, then they're fools.

:handclap: well said

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
no way, find a way to get Brooks Orpik though....

That would be my # 1 wish if the Sabres make any changes to their defense this year - but I think the odds of the Pens dealing him reduce dramatically if they don't have Letang's contract on their books. I'm still hoping Shero re-signs Letang and then is forced to cut some salary on the older players i.e. Orpik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad