Speculation: Would you take Letang for 64 mil per 8 years?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
No. Certainly not if you're also trading for him.

Though it seems some of you guys think he's worse than he is. He's not awful defensively. He has a poor defensive IQ but his individual skills defensively are pretty high.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Can we get a poll going in this thread? I'm having trouble keeping track of the consensus.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No. and reports say that we wants to play in Toronto. He turned down Pittsburgh because he doesn't get the spotlight that he thinks he deserved. You don't want to play for a potential Stanley Cup team because when he looks at himself in the mirror he see's an over achieving player but the fans don't realize it? Yeah. No.

That to me screams arrogant, selfish, needy and a demanding player.

No. No. No. No.

and

No.

Last edited:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Toronto would be idiotic to trade for Letang. They have Gardiner and Rielly as future options for that role. Those players have cost control, nevermind what it'd take in assets to acquire Letang.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If the cost was small (i.e. a 2nd round pick) I would acquire him from Pitt in order to give him the exclusive 8 year deal and I would go up to 8/56 but not a penny more.We haven't had an offensive d-man as prolific as Letang since Campbell left (who coincidentally also got 7 mil a year, which is the going rate for high end offensive d-men)

No. Certainly not if you're also trading for him.

Though it seems some of you guys think he's worse than he is. He's not awful defensively. He has a poor defensive IQ but his individual skills defensively are pretty high.

Glad someone came in here to say something like this. The price is certainly crazy pants, but he's been okay defensively, and he isn't sheltered. 48.3% offensive zone starts this season, and his top forward linemates were Kunitz, and Dupuis.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Glad someone came in here to say something like this. The price is certainly crazy pants, but he's been okay defensively, and he isn't sheltered. 48.3% offensive zone starts this season, and his top forward linemates were Kunitz, and Dupuis.

He needs a good partner who provides stability through being a strong physical presence and having high hockey IQ. The more protected is the better he can be defensively because he is a fantastic skater, he's an effort player, he has a great stick, and he throws hits. He just makes terrible decisions and gambles.

The problem is I don't think we have the ideal partner for him, though Sekera would probably do well. A more ideal partner would be someone like Seabrook. Well, the other problem is his contract and cost, but I'm talking about on the ice.

AlsPug

Nov 1, 2011
It's not like i'm trying to sell him to you, guys.

Ok, hes not worth that much, I can't disagree. The silent question is "what is his price and would you care to discuss his acquisition"...

Really.... some guys just have that much of patience only to write "hell nooo", "nooo" ... and nothing to add.

He needs a good partner who provides stability through being a strong physical presence and having high hockey IQ. The more protected is the better he can be defensively because he is a fantastic skater, he's an effort player, he has a great stick, and he throws hits. He just makes terrible decisions and gambles.

The problem is I don't think we have the ideal partner for him, though Sekera would probably do well. A more ideal partner would be someone like Seabrook. Well, the other problem is his contract and cost, but I'm talking about on the ice.

But...but...Sekera is an offensive defenseman :laugh:

I don't know what price I would want him at. Maybe if he had Myers's contract? I would love to have someone else capable of driving and controlling play though.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It's not like i'm trying to sell him to you, guys.

Ok, hes not worth that much, I can't disagree. The silent question is "what is his price and would you care to discuss his acquisition"...

Really.... some guys just have that much of patience only to write "hell nooo", "nooo" ... and nothing to add.

I really have no indication that Pittsburgh wants to trade him for a reasonable price or, if they did, that he would want to sign in Buffalo. I imagine he'd demand more money to play here than in Pittsburgh.

I mean, in a perfect world, I'd give up something like Ehrhoff and 16 for Letang, and then I'd sign Letang to $6M per, TOPS. But that's so not going to happen that it's not worth discussing.

Honestly, I might not even do it then, because I have pretty low confidence that he's going to be nearly as dynamic on any other team. I'd probably just stay the hell away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad