Would you support trading to acquire Lafreniere this off-season?

Would you support going "all-in" to trade for Lafreniere this off-season?

• Total voters

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I voted yes, but I put an asterisk there because I have my reservations about the QMJHL and the quality of the stars originating from there.

Last 10 years, the Q has produced 9 of the top 50 scorers in the NHL over that period, including the top Canadian in Crosby.

Edit: Changed it to 9, forgot about Yandle's one season

By comparison:

OHL 14
WHL 6

Source: NHL Player Stats in Last 10 Seasons

I have never understood that line of thinking, other than bigger media coverage in Ontario. We have always held our own when it came to top end guys. I don't have the goalie representations but I'm pretty sure we'd be strong there too.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
We have NOTHING worth keeping besides maybe two kids (KK, Suzy) so ALL in. However, you'd have to feed whomever wins the draft some serious magic mushrooms to even have a chance at this.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I've got my reservation on Lafrenière for multiple reasons.

1- The Q = Not the strongest league by far. Still players like MacKinnon were in the Q.

2- He's a winger = Most players that deserve to go all-in for, are centers. There's exception of course.
Not so long ago many Habs fans were advocating that we shouldn't build around a winger

3- One player = It's not enough to win anything, you need a cast around him and i'm not sure i would be ready to
trade that cast, especially that if a deal would ever be possible…..it would take at least our 1st + Suzuki and that's only
a start.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what we think the Habs should do….there's no way the winner of the next draft will even listened to any offer.
2. Yes when we had zero centers. Now we do so let's build around a superstar but not at such a high price

lou

Feb 25, 2004
Red Deer AB.
I Dont think Lafreniere is elite enough to trade every grade A prospect....I think he will be a consistant 70 to 80 point winger. I say a great big NO for me.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
Would have to say no with the cost being as high as some suggest. No way would I empty the cupboards for 1 player. IMO it would set the team on a EDM/BUF trajectory of being a bottom 5 team for the better part of a decade , I'd say Laf would be Tatars age before we could ice a competitive team again unless we try to fill the roster with UFAs. I'd be all for trying to trade up and would prob make an offer but not our top 4 prospects plus 2 1sts. He may be a star but he could also be a Yak/RNH type as there is no way to tell for sure. I'm also pretty sure if his last name was Lafronov nobody in their right mind would ever even consider this (nobody wanted to sell the farm for hughes last year despite similar hype)

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Crazy to think that we'll be drafting top 7 while continously trying to make the playoffs.

1 or 2 Habs traded and a few additional games off for key players when they were injured which isn't even tanking could have easily gotten us in the top 3-4 picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad