Would you rather your team win the Stanley Cup, or your country win a gold medal?

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I think most all North American fans (USA and Canada) would say cup. But I can see a lot of European fans wanting to see their country win Gold over their favorite NHL team winning the cup.

Yes, I think all know that Stanley cup is harder to win, but that does not mean that you actually prefer a cup win on the expense of an Olympic gold.

But I would prefer to see Modo win Stanley Cup rather than Sweden win gold in the Olympics. :D

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Definitely a Flames Stanley Cup > Canada gold.

The Olympics is just a nice distraction

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
No contest:

ColumbusBlueJackets_PRM_9999.jpg

stanley_cup.jpeg

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
when i grew up, playing in the street as a 10 yr old, id skate around with the yellow recycling pail over my head as if it were the stanley cup. National pride is something that is there, win or lose, you go and play your bottom off at the olympics, but as a hockey player, esp growing up, you ALWAYS dream about raising that precious cup. Everyone who wins at the olympics gets a gold medal, but theres only one stanley cup.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
One day I think we'll see a Leagues Champions tournament similar to the one in soccer.

KHL - champion
Euro leagues - champion
NHL - champion

Yes I hope that it happens in some way and constellation, and I hope it will before I am dead too.

It would really help to promote the game.

Kent

Apr 16, 2009
The stanley cup feels more like a local award. It's the same teams year after year and it's not even the best teams in the world.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Blues fan. I am so cup starved, if there was some weird deal presented that had the Blues win the cup once but US never winning gold again, I'd jump on it. In a second.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Obviously this is not an either/or, you can do both. But if you had to choose one..

Which would you choose?

Please include your country and your favorite team with your answer.

Ranger fan, USA, and I would prefer a Ranger Stanley Cup to a USA gold medal.

Ottawa's chance of winning a Cup anytime soon are kinda slim :cry:

So I'd settle for a Gold Medal I guess GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!

Eowin

Mar 7, 2009
Carmel, IN, USA
I'm a big Blackhawks and USA fan so I get the best of both worlds. 2010 will be a great hockey year for me.

BTW, I am cheering for Toews, Keith and Seabrook and wish they could be playing on the US.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I'm a big Blackhawks and USA fan so I get the best of both worlds. 2010 will be a great hockey year for me.

Or a horrible one? Losing in the conference finals or finals is terrible and USA hasn't won Gold either yet.

Me? I'd take Gold just because it'd be the biggest upset in the history of all of sport if Germany won Olympic hockey Gold.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Right now, I'd rather see Finland win the gold than the Rangers win the Cup -- partly because I think Selänne and Koivu deserve gold medals, too. Same goes for the US, if the Finns don't win.

If the Rangers are in the playoffs and you ask me then, I might answer differently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad