Proposal: Would you rather? Option 1 or Option 2?

Option 1 or Option 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Panarin-Barkov-Dads
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Hoffman
Vatrano-Borgstrom-Random 3rd line UFA
Hawrluk-Sceviour-Malgin

Ekblad-Yandle
Matheson-Pysyk
Weegar-Random depth d guy

Bob
Lu

Like that's undoubtedly a playoff team but that defense is pure garbage. Good goalies, insanely good forward group, insanely bad defensive group

We’d still have money to get a decent Dman. It wouldn’t be a Trouba, but it would be an upgrade to what we have now.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
We’d still have money to get a decent Dman. It wouldn’t be a Trouba, but it would be an upgrade to what we have now.
I said it in the other thread but after re-signing the RFAs and buying out Reimer, you're at about 64 million. With an 82 million cap, that's just enough for both UFAs. I don't see where you're seeing extra money?

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Biggest issue is Quick’s injury history. That and Panarin > Stone. So option 2 is my jam

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Would you rather?

OPTION #1

Trouba, 7yr x $7.5 million
Stone, 7yr x $9 million
Quick 4 years left @ $5.8 million

= $22.3 million

Or

OPTION #2

Panarin, 7yr x $9.5 million
Pietroangelo, 1yr left x $6.5 million OR Martinez, 2yr left @ $4 million OR Pesce, 5yr left x $4.025 million
Bob, 6-7yr x $8.75 million

= $24.75 million with AP
= $22.25 million with AM
= $22.5 million with BP

Posted this in the other thread. If we want to add a top forward, dman and goalie, things will be really tight. We'd have to get rid of yandle at expansion draft and even then it would still be really tight.

In the below, it's basically option 2 with panarin, bob and a $5M dman, but you can switch them up either way.

If we can't get rid of yandle at expansion draft, all discussions are moot. We'd then have to choose between adding dman or forward, not both.

cap.png

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Posted this in the other thread. If we want to add a top forward, dman and goalie, things will be really tight. We'd have to get rid of yandle at expansion draft and even then it would still be really tight.

In the below, it's basically option 2 with panarin, bob and a $5M dman, but you can switch them up either way.

If we can't get rid of yandle at expansion draft, all discussions are moot. We'd then have to choose between adding dman or forward, not both.

View attachment 182657

Thanks for the spreadsheet. I'm hoping we can a good majority of our posters to vote in this thread and we can tweet this to a higher up. Tallon needs to know there are options and hopefully he isnt all hearty eyed for just Bob and Panarin.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks for the spreadsheet. I'm hoping we can a good majority of our posters to vote in this thread and we can tweet this to a higher up. Tallon needs to know there are options and hopefully he isnt all hearty eyed for just Bob and Panarin.

Those big name dmen like Pietrangelo, Trouba, Pesce (yeah, him too) probably won't be available to the Panthers albeit a serious overpayment is always a viable option to some degree. The most likely help on defense will a guy like Braun if the Sharks get EK65 signed or Martinez. Or Stralman from the FA. I'd reckon that the improvements for the next season will be Panarin (even though Stone would be the better option for the Panthers but he hasn't limited his teams to two or three, etc other details), Martinez/Stralman and Bob/Lu-tandem.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Panarin-Barkov-Dads
Vatrano-Borgstrom-Random 3rd line UFA
Hawrluk-Sceviour-Malgin

Ekblad-Yandle
Matheson-Pysyk
Weegar-Random depth d guy

Bob
Lu

Like that's undoubtedly a playoff team but that defense is pure garbage. Good goalies, insanely good forward group, insanely bad defensive group

You’re forgetting McCoshen(so he’s the random depth guy). I think he makes the jump next season and stays on full time. Think that’s why Kiselevich being shopped around.

Only other change I make is swap Pysk with Pesce and bring up Tippett. Maybe swap Malgin for an enforcer. Now that’s a hockey roster.....

Panarin-Barkov-Dads
Vatrano-Borgstrom-Tippett
Hawrluk-Sceviour-Malgin/Enforcer(FA)

Ekblad-Yandle
Matheson-Pesce
Weegar-McCoshen

Bob
Lu

Last edited:

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
What would you guys think fair value in a trade would be for Spurgeon? Would love him here on the Panthers.

Add Breadman/Bob/Spurgeon

Minus-Pysyk/Reimer/Mamin/?

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'd be ok with that if Spurgeon resigns. Losing Vatrano doesn't hurt if we add Panarin to top 6 and Tippett replaces Vatrano on 3rd line.

Would that work for both teams? Vatrano+1st+Pysyk?

Trading Vatrano is a definite no-go imo because projected to score 25 goals with 3rd line minutes is top of the line moneypuck production. I would think that the brass would like to have couple of relatively affordable years out of the guy who'd they would acquire on defense if they are going to use premium assets like a 1st round pick. Tippett was rather awful on his first stint with the Cats and thus he's pretty much guaranteed to start his pro career in the AHL imo. Just sign Brassard for a three year gig and use Dadonov as a stopgap for Tippett.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I'd be ok with that if Spurgeon resigns. Losing Vatrano doesn't hurt if we add Panarin to top 6 and Tippett replaces Vatrano on 3rd line.

Would that work for both teams? Vatrano+1st+Pysyk?
I'd be really happy with it, not sure they would.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Trading Vatrano is a definite no-go imo because projected to score 25 goals with 3rd line minutes is top of the line moneypuck production. I would think that the brass would like to have couple of relatively affordable years out of the guy who'd they would acquire on defense if they are going to use premium assets like a 1st round pick. Tippett was rather awful on his first stint with the Cats and thus he's pretty much guaranteed to start his pro career in the AHL imo. Just sign Brassard for a three year gig and use Dadonov as a stopgap for Tippett.

I value Vatrano too, but Spurgeon would be an ideal add to the team because he's still only 27. I'm also thinking ahead that if we add Bob/Panarin, Yandle won't be here much longer.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I value Vatrano too, but Spurgeon would be an ideal add to the team because he's still only 27. I'm also thinking ahead that if we add Bob/Panarin, Yandle won't be here much longer.

Spurgeon will be 30yo in the next November.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Why do you say that?

Too much money on the books if we get both Panarin/Bob. We'd be looking to shed some salary before having to resign Dads/Hoff. Don't think he finishes his full contract here if we do. Love Yandle but think we'd be better served keeping those 2 wingers and getting a 5Mil Dman to replace Yandle.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Too much money on the books if we get both Panarin/Bob. We'd be looking to shed some salary before having to resign Dads/Hoff. Don't think he finishes his full contract here if we do. Love Yandle but think we'd be better served keeping those 2 wingers and getting a 5Mil Dman to replace Yandle.

Yandle has a NMC on his contract up until his final year. Thus, it's unlikely that both high rollers, Bread and Bob, get signed by Dale because that leaves basically no wiggle room on cap structure if and when changes need to be made. The mgmt probably doesn't want to see $10mil + backup tied up to goat lending on each year until 2027. The additions will probably be something like Bread/Stone + Manson/Martinez + Quick/Koskinen/Talbot. Next year will be something like:

Dadonov - Barkov - Panarin
Brassard - Trocheck - Hoffman
Huberdeau - Borgstrom - Vatrano
Hunt - Lammikko - Sceviour
Hawryluk

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Manson
MacDonald - Brown
Weegar

Quick
Lu

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yandle has a NMC on his contract up until his final year. Thus, it's unlikely that both high rollers, Bread and Bob, get signed by Dale because that leaves basically no wiggle room on cap structure if and when changes need to be made. The mgmt probably doesn't want to see $10mil + backup tied up to goat lending on each year until 2027. The additions will probably be something like Bread/Stone + Manson/Martinez + Quick/Koskinen/Talbot. Next year will be something like:

Dadonov - Barkov - Panarin
Brassard - Trocheck - Hoffman
Huberdeau - Borgstrom - Vatrano
Hunt - Lammikko - Sceviour
Hawryluk

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Manson
MacDonald - Brown
Weegar

Quick
Lu

I like Manson a lot, has a pretty good contract (3 years left @ $ 4.1 million), his modified NTC kicks in soon so that may complicate things if we go 7-3-1 protection route.
Would have to convince him or Yandle to waive or offer up our 1st to take lesser valued roster player.
Manson is tied for 25th in league with hits, can block shots, drop the gloves and I'd take him over Martinez fairly easily. >>>>Manson.PNG

Fun fact: Crouse is 7th in the league with hits, to go along with his 8 goals 16 pts in 53 games, +3, has more takeaways than giveaways. Slow road to a decent 3rd liner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad