Would you rather: Julien or Vigneault?

• Julien

• Vigneault

Results are only viewable after voting.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I see this all the time but if he signs a 5-year contract, this is he's 2nd year. Even if the 1st was only after new years would its still not count so 3 years left right?

Yeah, perhaps. I simply stated this was his first, but sure, he may had burned his first year last year.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Jul 6, 2016
none of them....

I would give a chance to Benoit Groulx, or Joel Bouchard or Pascal Vincent.

Enough of the recycled coaches.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yes but Boston had a secret weapon by the name of Roberto Luongo.

Biggest, big-game choker in the league.

Don't kid yourself. That Stanley Cup series outcome was more in the hands of the refs than any player.

It was the worst, most one sided series I've ever seen from the zebras.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't kid yourself. That Stanley Cup series outcome was more in the hands of the refs than any player.

It was the worst, most one sided series I've ever seen from the zebras.
The zebras didn't make Luongo lose a game 6-0. As soon as the Canucks went up 2 games to nothing in that series I knew that Luongo would find a way to blow it. It's what he does. Remember the gold medal game in 2010 that never should have gone to overtime except that Luongo crapped the bed in the last 30 seconds? That's what he is.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The zebras didn't make Luongo lose a game 6-0. As soon as the Canucks went up 2 games to nothing in that series I knew that Luongo would find a way to blow it. It's what he does. Remember the gold medal game in 2010 that never should have gone to overtime except that Luongo crapped the bed in the last 30 seconds? That's what he is.

And last year Nashville won games 3 and 4 with a combined score of 9-2. Lopsided wins are common in the playoffs and prove nothing.

There was no 6-0 game in the Finals that season, by the way. In the 3 games Vancouver won, 2 were by shutout, the third was a 3-2 overtime win. The difference really wasn't goaltending.

Boston was given free reign to foul throughout the series. That was a huge difference whether you want to admit it or not. I had no horse in that race, to be honest. But after a few games, I was so disgusted I started to root for Vancouver.

The NHL made no attempt to ensure that a blatant conflict of interest could not be claimed. It sullies the result, and unsurprisingly, the Campbells went away smiling.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Boston players got away with murder after every stoppage in play. I can't count the number of times they took swipes at the Sedins and others and went unpunished. It was so blatant it got ridiculous. Add that to stand-on-his-head goaltending by Thomas and there you have it. The most un-deserved cup in recent memory.

Reactions: groovejuice

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
It's not that Boston got away with murder, because in the playoffs it's your duty to take as much as the refs are willing to give, it's the fact that Vancouver couldn't push back on the nastiness and playing on the edge aspects. I'm pretty sure Julien knew this and made his team play that way on purpose, so he deserves credit for that. The refs always let more slide in the POs, and that usually favours teams playing on the edge. The Bruins simply had way more bark and fight in them, winning game 7 4-0 in Vancity was no fluke.

The whole series can be represented by that one exchange where Marchand was punching Henrik (I think) repeatedly while there was no push back at all, and Henrik just sat there taking it as if being the better man and eating shots from that rat would somehow give his team an edge. I was heavily rooting for the Canucks but the way they embarrassed themselves and handed over the SC to the damn Bruins on their own rink made me despise that franchise.

Reactions: Laurentide

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It's not that Boston got away with murder, because in the playoffs it's your duty to take as much as the refs are willing to give, it's the fact that Vancouver couldn't push back on the nastiness and playing on the edge aspects. I'm pretty sure Julien knew this and made his team play that way on purpose, so he deserves credit for that. The refs always let more slide in the POs, and that usually favours teams playing on the edge. The Bruins simply had way more bark and fight in them, winning game 7 4-0 in Vancity was no fluke.

The whole series can be represented by that one exchange where Marchand was punching Henrik (I think) repeatedly while there was no push back at all, and Henrik just sat there taking it as if being the better man and eating shots from that rat would somehow give his team an edge. I was heavily rooting for the Canucks but the way they embarrassed themselves and handed over the SC to the damn Bruins on their own rink made me despise that franchise.
There's a lot of truth in your post. The Canucks should have retaliated to the B's cheap shots. Problem is, they would have got the 2 minutes and come out the losers just the same. :dunno: :laugh:

If only we could have got the overtime goal, this whole conversation would never happen. :sarcasm:

Reactions: PuckSeparator

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
There's a lot of truth in your post. The Canucks should have retaliated to the B's cheap shots. Problem is, they would have got the 2 minutes and come out the losers just the same. :dunno: :laugh:

If only we could have got the overtime goal, this whole conversation would never happen. :sarcasm:
I know, I can't believe we didn't capitalize on at least one of those endless chances. Goddamn Chara and his humongous lower body (I think one of those shots destined for the back of the net bounced off his ass). :laugh:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
And last year Nashville won games 3 and 4 with a combined score of 9-2. Lopsided wins are common in the playoffs and prove nothing.

There was no 6-0 game in the Finals that season, by the way. In the 3 games Vancouver won, 2 were by shutout, the third was a 3-2 overtime win. The difference really wasn't goaltending.

Boston was given free reign to foul throughout the series. That was a huge difference whether you want to admit it or not. I had no horse in that race, to be honest. But after a few games, I was so disgusted I started to root for Vancouver.

The NHL made no attempt to ensure that a blatant conflict of interest could not be claimed. It sullies the result, and unsurprisingly, the Campbells went away smiling.

That series was tangible proof that the league interferes with the refs at least at sparce and specific moments.

Reactions: groovejuice

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

As the old saying goes, "You act like a biatch, you get treated like a biatch". The Canucks played like frightened snowflakes and got pwned. It's the same reason why the Habs always fail in the playoffs: not enough grit in situations where push-back is the only viable option. The Sens beat us up so badly in 2013 that even Hot Karl was taking shots at our skill players. Eller nearly had his career ended in that series. And what did the Habs do about it? Nothing. Not a damn thing, aside from Hal Gill calling Paul McLean a "bug-eyed walrus" or something. The team that wins the Cup is never the most sportsmanlike. Championship teams are the ones who are willing and able to use any means necessary in order to win. If you have to try to deliberately injure an opponent to win, well tough luck for that opponent. It's a zero sum proposition. There can be only one team left standing when it's done. The Canucks failed to grasp this truth in 2011. Don't expect the refs to do anything for you. At playoff time you have to be able to kill whatever you want to eat. That's what makes the sport great in the first place.

Reactions: PuckSeparator

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
As the old saying goes, "You act like a biatch, you get treated like a biatch". The Canucks played like frightened snowflakes and got pwned. It's the same reason why the Habs always fail in the playoffs: not enough grit in situations where push-back is the only viable option. The Sens beat us up so badly in 2013 that even Hot Karl was taking shots at our skill players. Eller nearly had his career ended in that series. And what did the Habs do about it? Nothing. Not a damn thing, aside from Hal Gill calling Paul McLean a "bug-eyed walrus" or something. The team that wins the Cup is never the most sportsmanlike. Championship teams are the ones who are willing and able to use any means necessary in order to win. If you have to try to deliberately injure an opponent to win, well tough luck for that opponent. It's a zero sum proposition. There can be only one team left standing when it's done. The Canucks failed to grasp this truth in 2011. Don't expect the refs to do anything for you. At playoff time you have to be able to kill whatever you want to eat. That's what makes the sport great in the first place.
That tactic worked for the Bruins and the 70's Flyers until the Habs showed then how hockey is supposed to be played. I can't think of any recent Cup winners who used dirty and cheap shots to gain an advantage. I have little respect for teams that resort to poor gamesmanship to win. It's akin to cheating. No honour in that.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
That tactic worked for the Bruins and the 70's Flyers until the Habs showed then how hockey is supposed to be played. I can't think of any recent Cup winners who used dirty and cheap shots to gain an advantage. I have little respect for teams that resort to poor gamesmanship to win. It's akin to cheating. No honour in that.
Don't kid yourself, the Habs of the 70's could beat you any way you wanted to play. The Flyers thought they could intimidate them so for games against Philly Scotty Bowman would dress guys like Pierre Bouchard, Gilles Lupien, Rick Chartraw, Glenn Goldup and Sean Shanahan. After the fights were over, the Flyers had to compete with the Habs by playing hockey and they couldn't do it. But it would be a mistake to think that because the Habs were an artistic, offensively gifted team that they weren't tough. Every tough team in the league tested them. Dave Schultz tested Larry Robinson one day at the Forum and Larry beat the tar out of him. The Big Bad Bruins were neither big enough nor bad enough to beat the Habs in a playoff series between 1943 and 1988. Even the Leafs of the 70's tried to goon it up when they played Montreal. They still lost.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
The most un-deserved cup in recent memory.

nobody really cares HOW you win the cup.....

loads of people out there would say we didn't deserve the 93 cup....others teams paved an easy road for us....we totally lucked out

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Don't kid yourself, the Habs of the 70's could beat you any way you wanted to play. The Flyers thought they could intimidate them so for games against Philly Scotty Bowman would dress guys like Pierre Bouchard, Gilles Lupien, Rick Chartraw, Glenn Goldup and Sean Shanahan. After the fights were over, the Flyers had to compete with the Habs by playing hockey and they couldn't do it. But it would be a mistake to think that because the Habs were an artistic, offensively gifted team that they weren't tough. Every tough team in the league tested them. Dave Schultz tested Larry Robinson one day at the Forum and Larry beat the tar out of him. The Big Bad Bruins were neither big enough nor bad enough to beat the Habs in a playoff series between 1943 and 1988. Even the Leafs of the 70's tried to goon it up when they played Montreal. They still lost.
I still smile when I think of that. And the check on Gary Dornhoefer. Those teams were tough indeed, but not dirty. There's the difference. They were ready to defend themselves when provoked, but never started the cheap stuff; Nordiques games not included. :laugh:

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Julien is 1-1 in Stanley Cup Final Series while Vigneault is 0-2. Claude is defence primary while Alain is a little more offensive.

I would hire Vigneault over Julien.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad