Would you pay Andersen 7m?

Would you pay Freddy Andersen 7m?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So i'm a Habs fan - and I love Price, and can't imagine having a different goalie. Trying to answer this in a vacuum though. I voted option 2. I think he's probably worth right around 7M - not long-term, 3-4 years is fine.

Good goalie

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Seems like a good bit to pay for a guy that’s usually pretty good but never really amazing. I like him at $5m. $7m would make me want to check my options.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
While Andersen has been the best Leafs Goalie since they once had Ed Belfour, $7 million is way to much to pay him considering in the playoffs when it comes to winner take all elimination games like a Game 7 and most recently Game 5 against Columbus since that was a best of five series, Andersen is 0-8 in that situation going back to his time in Anaheim.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I like Freddy, He's been the best option since Belfour.
He has let us down a bunch in crucial moments.
Or was it the D? They leave him out to dry all the freaking time.
It all depends who his replacement is.
I could live with Freddy getting like Helle money. Not a big fan of paying Goalie's close or higher than 10M
Vas is worth his contract though.

Reactions: wetcoast

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I like Freddy, He's been the best option since Belfour.
He has let us down a bunch in crucial moments.
Or was it the D? They leave him out to dry all the freaking time.
It all depends who his replacement is.
I could live with Freddy getting like Helle money. Not a big fan of paying Goalie's close or higher than 10M
Vas is worth his contract though.
Can you blame the Leafs defense when Andersen allowed this goal to get past him in Game 7 of their 2019 playoff series against Boston. Keep in mind this was in the 1st period and the score was 0-0 before the Bruins scored with 5:31 remaining and these are the types of bad goals Andersen has allowed.

Reactions: kelso and rosscow

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Can you blame the Leafs defense when Andersen allowed this goal to get past him in Game 7 of their 2019 playoff series against Boston. Keep in mind this was in the 1st period and the score was 0-0 before the Bruins scored with 5:31 remaining and these are the types of bad goals Andersen has allowed.

I dont wanna watch and be disappointed again.
Yeah I know he lets in stinkers all the time it's frustrating. but is it because thats just him? or is he over worked because of a poor D?
I'm open for change. I just dunno if I'm ready to go down that goalie road again, Raycroft->Toskala->Reimer->Bernier to Andersen. He's been the best since Belfour.
I just wonder if we have a reliable D infront of him. will things change? or will we trade him and he gets over his demons in year 1 because of a better D

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I dont wanna watch and be disappointed again.
Yeah I know he lets in stinkers all the time it's frustrating. but is it because thats just him? or is he over worked because of a poor D?
I'm open for change. I just dunno if I'm ready to go down that goalie road again, Raycroft->Toskala->Reimer->Bernier to Andersen. He's been the best since Belfour.
I just wonder if we have a reliable D infront of him. will things change? or will we trade him and he gets over his demons in year 1 because of a better D
Andersen's 0-8 record in winner take all elimination games also includes 4 loses when he played in Anaheim. So did any of their defense let him down like what's happened during his time in Toronto? In the 2015 Western Conference Finals with Anaheim up 3-2, Andersen allowed 4 goals in Game 6 and 5 goals in Game 7. So that's a total of 9 goals allowed in two games.

I also agree that he's the best Goalie the Leafs have had since Ed Belfour and it's frustrating knowing how good he can be and to always seeing him coming up just short in a critical game.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Leafs can't afford to pay him that, but given the market for goalies the last couple years he's most certainly worth that. The guy is one of the best in the league. Personally, I dont like the idea of paying any goalie that much though.

Reactions: qqaz

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I would only give him a slight raise from his current cap hit, he is inconsistent and is 30 so i think most of his development is finished.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I wouldn't want any goalie north of $7m personally. With Cup winning goalies like Binnington, Murray, Crawford, Niemi, Osgood, Giguere, and Ward since the lockout, needing a huge money goalie doesn't seem all that necessary. Sure, you get sunk by bad goalies, but not having other important pieces because you are paying a goalie too much seems worse.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
No option for "I don't want him, period"? Because I don't.

Had to pick the absolute bargain option.

I agree with you, but I thought that answer was #4.
Even at a bargain, I don't want a 32yr old, who gives up weak goals and can't close series.

The moving on from him, is to find someone, who can win and close series'
Remember your Glengarry Glen Ross, *spoils* are for closers.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I wouldn't want any goalie north of $7m personally. With Cup winning goalies like Binnington, Murray, Crawford, Niemi, Osgood, Giguere, and Ward since the lockout, needing a huge money goalie doesn't seem all that necessary. Sure, you get sunk by bad goalies, but not having other important pieces because you are paying a goalie too much seems worse.

the first two names you mentioned were both terrible this year
actually a lot of the guys you mentioned while cup winning tenders became terrible inconsistent

there is 1 goalie on that list who was probably one of the main reasons his team won lol

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
the first two names you mentioned were both terrible this year
actually a lot of the guys you mentioned while cup winning tenders became terrible inconsistent

there is 1 goalie on that list who was probably one of the main reasons his team won lol

I think that furthers my point though. Goalies can be flash in the pans. Outside the top few guys, the rest are unpredictable. Imagine Pittsburgh giving big money to Murray for winning them two Cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad