Would you pay Andersen 7m?

Would you pay Freddy Andersen 7m?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't want any goalie north of $7m personally. With Cup winning goalies like Binnington, Murray, Crawford, Niemi, Osgood, Giguere, and Ward since the lockout, needing a huge money goalie doesn't seem all that necessary. Sure, you get sunk by bad goalies, but not having other important pieces because you are paying a goalie too much seems worse.
Last week Pierre LeBrun said that if Matt Murray goes to arbitration with what the team who trades for him, he could possibly get $6 million and become a UFA in 1 year.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Andersen's 0-8 record in winner take all elimination games also includes 4 loses when he played in Anaheim. So did any of their defense let him down like what's happened during his time in Toronto? In the 2015 Western Conference Finals with Anaheim up 3-2, Andersen allowed 4 goals in Game 6 and 5 goals in Game 7. So that's a total of 9 goals allowed in two games.

I also agree that he's the best Goalie the Leafs have had since Ed Belfour and it's frustrating knowing how good he can be and to always seeing him coming up just short in a critical game.
then it's something wrong with him. he gets nervous when he's close to winning a series? lol I just hope if we move on from him, we have a reliable backup. I'm not sold on that person being Murray. seems like Leafs have interest in him

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Wouldn't pay him 7. Andersen is an above average goalie and his next contract should reflect that. Add a little to whatever the average is for starters and you're there.
Term is probably the more important element of the next Andersen contract though.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
On top of issues with Andersen's playoff performance, I am more and more buying into the idea that investing a lot of money in goaltending is a suboptimal idea.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
While Andersen has been the best Leafs Goalie since they once had Ed Belfour, $7 million is way to much to pay him considering in the playoffs when it comes to winner take all elimination games like a Game 7 and most recently Game 5 against Columbus since that was a best of five series, Andersen is 0-8 in that situation going back to his time in Anaheim.
Now show how many pts the leafs high priced forwards got in the 4 elimination games in these past 4 years and differentiate why they deserve the money he doesn’t despite also failing using the metrics you use for Andersen.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
That would make him the 5th highest paid goalie in the league (assuming Lundqvist does not retire/get bought out).

So, no. But I would give him 6m. Maybe a touch more. Very good goalie, but he won't be the best FA goalie that year - maybe not even top 3. It has the potential to be an extremely strong class, with Rask, Raanta, Binnington, and Grubauer all up for new deals. I've also seen speculation of a short-term deal with Washington for Holtby, although I have a hard time believing he'd take a 1yr deal.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don’t see anything that suggests he’s a $7m goaltender. Looking at his peers and the flat cap for the next few years his ceiling should be somewhere close to $6m depending on term.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Now show how many pts the leafs high priced forwards got in the 4 elimination games in these past 4 years and differentiate why they deserve the money he doesn’t despite also failing using the metrics you use for Andersen.
In 2017 Matthews had 5 points in six games, in 2018 Marner had 9 points in seven games, in 2019 Matthews had 6 points in seven games and in 2020 Matthews had 6 points in five games.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
In 2017 Matthews had 5 points in six games, in 2018 Marner had 9 points in seven games, in 2019 Matthews had 6 points in seven games and in 2020 Matthews had 6 points in five games.
Are you not using elimination games specifically as your benchmark for Andersen?

Reactions: Hot Pockets

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Are you not using elimination games specifically as your benchmark for Andersen?
That 0-8 record for Andersen in winner take all elmination games came from the Sportsnet Stats Twitter account. So all I did was post what it happened to be and I also answered your question what type of points their players had in those previous series.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That 0-8 record for Andersen in winner take all elmination games came from the Sportsnet Stats Twitter account. So all I did was post what it happened to be and I also answered your question what type of points their players had in those previous series.
I didn’t ask how much points those players had in those previous series. I asked specifically about elimination games. I don’t see how looking only at elimination to gauge if Andersen is worth the money is fair, but using the exact same measurement for the skaters wouldn’t be.

If Andersen isn’t worth big money for playing far below expectations in elimination games, why would the skaters then justify their big contracts when they equally play far below expectations in elimination games?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I didn’t ask how much points those players had in those previous series. I asked specifically about elimination games. I don’t see how looking only at elimination to gauge if Andersen is worth the money is fair, but using the exact same measurement for the skaters wouldn’t be.

If Andersen isn’t worth big money for playing far below expectations in elimination games, why would the skaters then justify their big contracts when they equally play far below expectations in elimination games?
Like I said before with Anaheim he was 0-4 in winner take all elimination games and the Ducks obviously choose to go with John Gibson after the 2016 playoffs. Just like they did in the 2015 Western Conference Final blowing a 3-2 series lead, they did that again to Nashville in the 2016 first round. However you never saw the Ducks make major changes to their skaters at that time and they have done no better since trading Andersen.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Like I said before with Anaheim he was 0-4 in winner take all elimination games and the Ducks obviously choose to go with John Gibson after the 2016 playoffs. Just like they did in the 2015 Western Conference Final blowing a 3-2 series lead, they did that again to Nashville in the 2016 first round. However you never saw the Ducks make major changes to their skaters at that time and they have done no better since trading Andersen.
I understanding this. My question remains the same. If your criteria for Andersen being worth big money or not is performance in elimination games, why do the high price skaters not have the same criteria of elimination game production?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I understanding this. My question remains the same. If your criteria for Andersen being worth big money or not is performance in elimination games, why do the high price skaters not have the same criteria of elimination game production?
Maybe because it's easier to track a Goalies record in elimination games since some of their stats are judged by wins and loses. So it's the best reason I why I think the Sportsnet Stats Twitter account posted that information.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Then why are you going four-why not all 8 of his elimination games?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I like Freddy, He's been the best option since Belfour.
He has let us down a bunch in crucial moments.
Or was it the D? They leave him out to dry all the freaking time.
It all depends who his replacement is.
I could live with Freddy getting like Helle money. Not a big fan of paying Goalie's close or higher than 10M
Vas is worth his contract though.

pretty much this and as good as some goalies are, there are a ton of excellent goalies out there and in a salary cap world paying 7 million a year just seems really high except for maybe a handfull of players.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
You got to consider the defense he's playing in front of. He might be worth more than he seems to be.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
That would make him the 5th highest paid goalie in the league (assuming Lundqvist does not retire/get bought out).

So, no. But I would give him 6m. Maybe a touch more. Very good goalie, but he won't be the best FA goalie that year - maybe not even top 3. It has the potential to be an extremely strong class, with Rask, Raanta, Binnington, and Grubauer all up for new deals. I've also seen speculation of a short-term deal with Washington for Holtby, although I have a hard time believing he'd take a 1yr deal.

Raanta has one more year left on his deal.
Since AZ has stated they wanted to tear down and rebuild, I'd want Kuemper-I've always been a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->