Would you pay Andersen 7m?

Would you pay Freddy Andersen 7m?

• Total voters

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
You mean his 9 goals and 9 assists, while playing a matchup role? Kadri was great in the playoffs. Andy was great too, as evidenced by his .936 save % against CBJ. Heck, the Avs would love to upgrade their tending to Andy. Too bad he’s not got one year left on his contract, or that’s a potential trade partner.

He also did blow the coverage, to allow the goal to be scored against oh-so great Hutch.
He did kill their run.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He also did blow the coverage, to allow the goal to be scored against oh-so great Hutch.
He did kill their run.
If those kinds of little things make a Leaf’s fan feel better, that’s fine. I understand. But trading Andy (imo) is a big mistake. Just look at the team’s record when the backups play! Look at how many games Andy plays! The guy is a work horse stud of a goalie. You might be nit picking his great playoff performance next season for another team, like you’re doing with Kadri now, if he’s traded.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If those kinds of little things make a Leaf’s fan feel better, that’s fine. I understand. But trading Andy (imo) is a big mistake. Just look at the team’s record when the backups play! Look at how many games Andy plays! The guy is a work horse stud of a goalie. You might be nit picking his great playoff performance next season for another team, like you’re doing with Kadri now, if he’s traded.

He's 0-8, not just with the Leafs. He's not a closer.

Evergreen

Not when there are so many solid goalies available this offseason, the cap is stagnant, and he's not proven capable of elite play in the playoffs.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If the Leafs don't plan on re-signing Andersen since he's going into the final year of his contract, isn't looking to trade him something Kyle Dubas needs to look into doing? Yes he's been good for the Maple Leafs in the regular season and I don't think there is a Leafs fan who will dispute that. However one thing that can not be denied is in the playoffs he hasn't come through in a winner take all elimination game and it goes back to his time in Anaheim.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If the Leafs don't plan on re-signing Andersen since he's going into the final year of his contract, isn't looking to trade him something Kyle Dubas needs to look into doing? Yes he's been good for the Maple Leafs in the regular season and I don't think there is a Leafs fan who will dispute that. However one thing that can not be denied is in the playoffs he hasn't come through in a winner take all elimination game and it goes back to his time in Anaheim.
Who replaces Andy’s games? IMO it’s Very likely any new starter is less than Andy, and the Leafs can’t afford to waste another year of Matthews.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Who replaces Andy’s games? IMO it’s Very likely any new starter is less than Andy, and the Leafs can’t afford to waste another year of Matthews.
The only way to determine that is looking at whatever trade Andersen is involved in and the return they get, along who the Leafs get to replace him. For example what if they are able to sign Robin Lehner or Braden Holtby as UFA's.

Right now Leafs fans are looking at trading Andersen from a practical point of view since he has 1 year left on his contract. His playoff record is only adding fuel to the fire as a reason to also do that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The only way to determine that is looking at whatever trade Andersen is involved in and the return they get, along who the Leafs get to replace him. For example what if they are able to sign Robin Lehner or Braden Holtby as UFA's.

Right now Leafs fans are looking at trading Andersen from a practical point of view since he has 1 year left on his contract. His playoff record is only adding fuel to the fire as a reason to also do that.
Lehner looks close to signing a 5x5 re-up. Holtby imo is a huge step backwards from Andy. I have heard out here (Vancouver sports radio) the Canucks would have interest in Andy if they can’t sign Marky.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
We pay our 10,5M $ (Obviously, he's also the best at his job) so I guess I'm kind of numb at a 7M$ contract for a goalie.
But yeah, I'd pay him that much, just not for 8 years. Maybe like 4?
Andersen is a good (not great) goalie that should be ok on a team that isn't complete trash on defense.
If I'm Toronto, I'm letting other people go before Andersen.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
As a Sabres fan I hope freddy leaves. He plays unreal against us but I've never been particularly impressed outside of those games.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Leafs aren’t improving on Freddy. A fair number would be 5.5 x 4 years.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Andersen is a good goalie; I'd probably do 6.5 if we didn't already have Hellebuyck.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Right. Regular season, sure. Great. Playoffs? Nah. Toronto still needs to find "that guy".

Look guys like Anton Khudobin, Robin Lehenrr, Semyon Varlamov...I can’t say they’re better tgoaltenders or talents than Freddie but they play behind teams who can defend.

That’s why you don’t pay a premium for a goalie unless they truly game changing. Fix your defense (not just personnel But overall structure) and you can find capable goaltending for much cheaper and your team will be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad