Would you pay $50 to see an NHPLA league game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Wow guess a lot of you wont be supporting the NHL anymore. Considering the NHL is NHLPA stars. So go make your point to show the NHLPA whos boss and not show up to any games. To bad it wont happen and 80% of you will be buying the same amount of tickets you do every season...or wait...are you going to tell me now your only going to buy tickets to the NHL to watch an NHL game with NHLPA players because you support the Owners?

Most fans support teams not players.

If the Bruins trade Thornton for Lecavalier are the Bruins fans going to rush out and become Tampa fans?

If the Bruins trade every single player on their roster to different teams are the Bruins fans going to rush out and become fans of all of those other teams?

NO
NO

So who is they support? The NHL team or the players?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
wazee said:
Most of us disagree wholeheartedly with that statement. The players are NOT the game.

I did not say the NHLPA players are the game. I said the NHL is the NHLPA stars. Which it has been since the NHL was born.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
me2 said:
Most fans support teams not players.

If the Bruins trade Thornton for Lecavalier are the Bruins fans going to rush out and become Tampa fans?

If the Bruins trade every single player on their roster to different teams are the Bruins fans going to rush out and become fans of all of those other teams?

NO
NO

So who is they support? The NHL team or the players?

To take that a step further, the Philadelphia Flyers of 2003-04 had exactly FOUR players that were members of the team at the start of 1999-2000 campaign. In other words, over a period of five years, the team changed 83 percent of its roster. Yet, amazingly, the fans kept coming to cheer for THE FLYERS.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
I did not say the NHLPA players are the game. I said the NHL is the NHLPA stars. Which it has been since the NHL was born.

The NHL was born in 1967? Because that's when the NHLPA started.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
CarlRacki said:
To take that a step further, the Philadelphia Flyers of 2003-04 had exactly FOUR players that were members of the team at the start of 1999-2000 campaign. In other words, over a period of five years, the team changed 83 percent of its roster. Yet, amazingly, the fans kept coming to cheer for THE FLYERS.

Take that one step down and say..Yet, amazingly, the fans kept coming to cheer for OTHER NHL Stars(you know..the BEST hockey players in the world) Give them a bunch of ECHL players and lets see how many games they sell out.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Take that one step down and say..Yet, amazingly, the fans kept coming to cheer for OTHER NHL Stars(you know..the BEST hockey players in the world) Give them a bunch of ECHL players and lets see how many games they sell out.

To bastardize a line from a hockey movie: They cheer for the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back.

I think the point that's being missed is that whiel fans come to see the best players in the world, it's not necessarily the current crop of best players in the world. In about 15 years, players like Bill Guerin, Trevor Linden, Vincent Damphousse, etc. will be nothing more than bad memory for most NHL fans. By then, fans will be cheering for a new crop of stars that are playing batnam hockey right now and, the way the union might be heading, might never a part of the NHLPA.

Or to put it another way, if every NHLPA player vanished tomorrow, hockey would survive and the NHL would recover. The game is far bigger than any player, or even 750 of them. Unfortunately, this fact seems lost on a large segment of the PA.

YellHockey*

CarlRacki said:
To bastardize a line from a hockey movie: They cheer for the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back.

Then why do most Oiler fans whine everytime their team loses an older player or trades him for a younger player?

If they don't care about the players why don't teams just sign the cheapest players available? After all, the fans don't care about the players, just the sweater.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
BlackRedGold said:
Then why do most Oiler fans whine everytime their team loses an older player or trades him for a younger player?

If they don't care about the players why don't teams just sign the cheapest players available? After all, the fans don't care about the players, just the sweater.

Gee ... that's a tough one. Maybe - and this is just a wild theory I'm putting out there - they'd like to see their team get out of the first round for the first time since 1998.
But that's just a guess.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
BlackRedGold said:

They wouldn't care if you switched Guerin and Weight for any other two of similar quality. I doubt they care about the name just the effectiveness. They could be two guys nobody has ever heard off. The oilers fans don't like getting worse because of money issues.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Player's league:
Won't happen. Why? Money, what this is all about. Go luck getting the players to sign leases, put up the start-up capital, invest in marketing and sales...and on and on. The arena thing is not a small deal, as some posters have stated. If an NHL team holds a lease, and has been paying that lease, regardless of actual games being played there or not, THE PLAYERS HAVE NO LEGAL AVENUES TO GET INTO THAT VENUE! They can't just play anywhere. The best money is in the NHL, that's the bottom line.

Replacement players:
Won't happen. This would be a disasterous strategy. The NHL would cease to be selling a unique product, "The best in the world" and would be just another league. They would insult the remaining fans and sponsors. Not to mention the legal risks involved (impasse and so on). They'd be better off missing another season than using replacement players.

monkey_00*

Chayos1 said:
After the crap pulled by the NHLPA would you pay $50 to see a NHLPA league game?

Chayos1..........

Nice little poll you have going over here...........my answer is YES I would and the thinking here on my part is the longer the fans support a League started up by the nice people from the NHLPA then the odds improve greatly that one of the weaker market teams in the NHL (State-side) goes BELLY-UP and becomes extinct like other clubs from the past:

Cleveland Barons
Kansas City Scouts
Oakland Golden Seals
Colorado Rockies (I actually think Denver is Ok NHL market)
...the next team to be added to this list will be the Buffalo Sabres

................to name but a few..........PLUS these NHLPA games will be played in NON-NHL Arenas like the 18,500 seater they have here in Hamilton called the Copps Coliseum............and once the Hamilton fans know that by supporting a League by the NHLPA we greatly improve the chances of the player lockout dragging on some more and improving the chances of a hockey club like the Phoenix Coyotes from becoming extinct in the process the fans in Hamilton and other places like Winnipeg Manitoba will come out in droves :D

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueShirt

Feb 17, 2005
MSG
Ahh... the Colorado Rockies didn't go belly up. They moved to the Meadowlands and became the Devils.

I am of the opinion of 90% of this thread. I root for the team, not the players. I personally have disliked several players on my team, Lindros and Holik come to mind. However I still root for the team despite them. There is NO WAY in hades that I would support an NHLPA league. No matter what, it isn't the NHL because the NHL owns the uniforms and logos. I root for the red, white, blue, and the NYR shield and it doesn't matter who is underneath.

Also, does anyone in their right mind think the players could possibly make more money with their own league?? There is ZERO chance of that happening. Chances are it would flop just like every other major sport rival league that has come along.

monkey_00*

BlueShirt said:
Ahh... the Colorado Rockies didn't go belly up. They moved to the Meadowlands and became the Devils.

I am of the opinion of 90% of this thread. I root for the team, not the players. I personally have disliked several players on my team, Lindros and Holik come to mind. However I still root for the team despite them. There is NO WAY in hades that I would support an NHLPA league. No matter what, it isn't the NHL because the NHL owns the uniforms and logos. I root for the red, white, blue, and the NYR shield and it doesn't matter who is underneath.

Also, does anyone in their right mind think the players could possibly make more money with their own league?? There is ZERO chance of that happening. Chances are it would flop just like every other major sport rival league that has come along.

BlueShirt..........

Of course not...........the NHLPA will never make more money in their own League than what they were earning in the NHL..........the idea behind starting up an NHLPA League is to have the players earn SOME money while they are locked out by the NHL owners because afterall SOME money is better than NO MONEY at all.........secondly, by being able to earn some money the NHLPA and it's members will be able to ride out this lockout for alot longer time than what the NHL club owners were banking on in the first place..........and with that I say:

GO NHLPA GO!!

BlueShirt

Feb 17, 2005
MSG
monkey_00 said:
BlueShirt..........

Of course not...........the NHLPA will never make more money in their own League than what they were earning in the NHL..........the idea behind starting up an NHLPA League is to have the players earn SOME money while they are locked out by the NHL owners because afterall SOME money is better than NO MONEY at all.........secondly, by being able to earn some money the NHLPA and it's members will be able to ride out this lockout for alot longer time than what the NHL club owners were banking on in the first place..........and with that I say:

GO NHLPA GO!!

The NHLPA can "GO" alright, however they may not find much ice there.

So make a little money so they can hold out longer for what? A better offer from the NHL?? That isn't going to happen. What do they possibly think they are going to get the longer this goes on? They should stop with this alternative league non-sense and just go back to work where they will still be earning more than they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad