Would you pay $50 to see an NHPLA league game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I'm a hockey fan but an NHL hockey fan, first and foremost, so not likely to support this type of league.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I personally am a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs. A team that plays in the NHL. So for them to think fans that are like me (which should be alot of you guys, I think..) would go support them after they showed their greed this past year, is stupid of them.

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: < NHLPA

:devil: < Goodenow

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Puck said:
If the NHL's end-game is January 2006, it might be a good idea for the players to organize a World Cup type of invitational tourney this September that could go on for a few months. The players wouldn't make as much money but it would keep them occupied and playing and happy to some degree. If the two parties settle earlier than January 2006, the PA World Cup could stipulate a quick 2 week playoff with the top teams in the standings at the time, to determine a winner. If they have more players interested, the PA could increase teams for countries (Western Canada, Ontario, Quebec; Eastern USA and Western USA; Moscow and Leningrad for Russia).

I don't know the legalities, maybe the PA itself might not want to get involved for legal reasons, but a few star players could organize this instead of the PA.

In Canada, they could play in Halifax, Quebec, Hamilton, Ottawa (Civic Centre), Winnipeg, Saskatoon etc. They could also make a tv deal for a share of the revenues.

I know this thread's author expected a different outcome in his survey, but this might actually be a very good idea.

Not likely in 2006 as the Olympics will be just around the corner (Feb 2006). This will get much more attention so I doubt something like this will occur.

A Good Flying Bird*

Chayos1 said:
After the crap pulled by the NHLPA would you pay $50 to see a NHLPA league game?

If there was a real league with good partcipation, of course I would.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
ladybugblue said:
Not likely in 2006 as the Olympics will be just around the corner (Feb 2006). This will get much more attention so I doubt something like this will occur.
I was thinking of a Holiday season playoff that would end by January 2006. I didn't elaborate a huge master plan, it was just a quick note. If you want it to happen it could be done, or we can find tons of excuses why it can't be done.

This might be an idea for another thread but if there is any 2005-06 season at all, there may not be Olympics for the NHL players, especially if there is a shortened season. If the NHL resumes and I was the NHLPA, I'd decline the O and let non-NHLers play in the Olympics as a gesture. Non NHLers have been complaining about the loss of jobs during the work stoppage.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Puck said:
I was thinking of a Holiday season playoff that would end by January 2006. I didn't elaborate a huge master plan, it was just a quick note. If you want it to happen it could be done, or we can find tons of excuses why it can't be done.

This might be an idea for another thread but if there is any 2005-06 season at all, there may not be Olympics for the NHL players, especially if there is a shortened season. If the NHL resumes and I was the NHLPA, I'd decline the O and let non-NHLers play in the Olympics as a gesture. Non NHLers have been complaining about the loss of jobs during the work stoppage.

As a country, you always want to put your best athletes out there for the Olympics. And I don't think anyone will turn down a spot on an Olympic team.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
These players put the dollar sign above the game and the fans, so no - I won't buy a ticket - regardless of the price.
I will however buy tickets to nhl games with replacement players, mainly to send a message to the NHLPA.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
It all depends of what kind of team they put in place.

If it's like some NHLer but mostly 3rd-4th & borderline NHLers, I wouldn't pay 1$ for them.

But if you they have some NHL team caliber with superstar in it & it's more competitive than casual (like the Stars vs World showdown in Europe), I would pay my 50$ like I paid in the NHL.

The players are the product to me the the brand name :NHL or the owners.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Scugs said:
As a country, you always want to put your best athletes out there for the Olympics. And I don't think anyone will turn down a spot on an Olympic team.
If the NHL plays through the Olympics, then no countries would have their NHLers at the O. Let the AHLers play. After IOC Roggue's comments, let them field their own teams. The O survived without the NHL before, it will again.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
winter olympics greatest attractions are figure skating and mens ice hockey w/NHLers.. they'd bend over backwards to get the nhl there

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
As the few games earlier in the lockout proved, the players would skate around all touchy feely, like the all star game with scores of 12-9.(Although that does make me reminisce about the 1984 Oilers. :) )

I fell in love with hockey because of the Montreal Forum. The legacy, the history, Roget Doucet, Danny Gallivan, Brian MacFarlane, Peter Puck, Howie Meeker.

Watching Gilbert Perreault, Darryl Sittler, Bobby Clarke, Guy Lafleur.

The Broad Street Bullies, the Big Bad Bruins, the Islander Juggernaut, Battle of Quebec, Battle of Alberta....

I am a fan of the game...not of the players. Because all of the players and people I fell in love with as a kid are all gone now, but that doesn't mean I am not a fan.

When Jean Beliveau gave the young rookie hell for letting the jersey touch the floor, that says it best. Players will come and go, but the jersey will last forever.

That said, I would pay to see neither. Both sides are ridiculous and I won't support anything until they solve it.(Save AHL and CHL)

Mountain Dude

I wouldn't touch those tickets for $1, just to spite them.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I'm angry enough at the PA for wasting months resisting an inevitable cap, but I'm answering no simply because it's not the real NHL and I have plenty of hockey to see besides them anyway. Last night, I saw an intense game between Boston University and Northeastern, paying $10 to sit in the balcony at the old Matthews Arena, one of the best vantage points in all of hockey(picture below). I want the NHL to get its house in order, but until then cheap NCAA hockey is just fine.

http://gonu.com/facilities/matthews.html

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I am a Bruins fan first, an (insert name of Bruin player here) fan second!

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
The average NHL ticket last season was $41.56, why would anyone pay $50 for a NHLPA run league?

Besides the lack of stadiums available for a new league, the names of the teams belong to the owners and the NHL.

Decertifying just so you will not play under a forced low hard salary cap seems awfully extreme.

Damages for loss of money is almost laughable considering by not playing the NHL players lost $1.3 billion in revenue(based on 03-04 season)

If the PA does decertify will the current player contracts be worth the paper they are written on?

Lawyers from the NHL could argue that decertifying VOIDS all player contracts that were done when the NHLPA existed.

Messy will sum up the NHL if decertifying actually comes to pass, yet another slap in the face for fans.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
this is why we disagree

Russian Fan said:
It all depends of what kind of team they put in place.

If it's like some NHLer but mostly 3rd-4th & borderline NHLers, I wouldn't pay 1$ for them.

But if you they have some NHL team caliber with superstar in it & it's more competitive than casual (like the Stars vs World showdown in Europe), I would pay my 50$ like I paid in the NHL.

The players are the product to me the the brand name :NHL or the owners.

Youre a fan of 5 players. Most of us are a fan of the NHL.

...NHL = ~1000 players with marginals.

And most of the bottom 900 bring alot more heart, and so are more enjoyable to watch, in my opinion.

labatt50

Feb 26, 2005
[QUOTE=The Messenger]Since you mentioned it .. The NHLPA could have a lot of fun Marketing their product .. They could make the players available for autographs, hockey Card Signings, they could have fun skates with the players in a public skating a few hours before the game.

Think about TV .. If you are tunning into HNIC on CBC Saturday night they were showing these games the NHLPA could generate a lot of Revenue that way ..[/QUOTE]

Players don't do the above for fun, it's all about the dollar. When have you seen the players sign autographs or mix with the fans like you are suggesting without some type of compensation attached.

Drrocket9

Sep 29, 2004
i am a fan of the San Jose Sharks. players have come and gone, and always will, regardless of the reasons. when the Sharks take the ice, then i will be rooting for them. i would not go see anything less, and to me thats what a PA league would be. far far less. that being said, i also will not be going to any games if i am paying a higher ticket price. i expect to pay less for my next ticket. if not, i may not be going anymore.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wow guess a lot of you wont be supporting the NHL anymore. Considering the NHL is NHLPA stars. So go make your point to show the NHLPA whos boss and not show up to any games. To bad it wont happen and 80% of you will be buying the same amount of tickets you do every season...or wait...are you going to tell me now your only going to buy tickets to the NHL to watch an NHL game with NHLPA players because you support the Owners?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I would no more go to watch NHLPA players playing for nothing, than I would pay just to see a Hollywood star stand around, eat lunch, etc.

Without the reason (IE, playing for the Cup, a movie) they're just normal folks.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
PecaFan said:
I would no more go to watch NHLPA players playing for nothing, than I would pay just to see a Hollywood star stand around, eat lunch, etc.

Without the reason (IE, playing for the Cup, a movie) they're just normal folks.

Exactly. Anyone who believes they're going to get real hockey at an NHLPA-organized game is kidding themselves. You'll get all-star quality play, i.e. no hitting, no intensity, no meaning. Yipee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad