Proposal: Would you participate in a protest to Shanny?

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I'm really emotional now and I haven't eaten since I saw Cooke forcibly drive his razor sharp skate down into EK's ankle. I'm wondering how feasible it would be to organise a protest. It may not even accomplish anything but I think the principle is more important.

Would you take some time to go down to NYC and protest for a day? It would obviously be extremely short notice so it wouldn't have the same degree of planning that the Nordiques do. I'm just extremely angry that Cooke is getting away with these "unfortunate incidents" and he's not facing any punishment. Maybe we could hit up Shanny on his way in and out of work for a day.

I apologise if this is ridiculous but I'm just in this state of mind at the moment. I'm sorry for being insensitive - soldiers are dying in the middle east, children starving and forced into slave labour in Afrika, but all I can think of is EK's ankle. I'm not looking forward to Saturday.

I assume posters replying to this thread will be under agreement it was intentional or severely reckless. Please do not post if you feel it was unintentional as this question would OBVIOUSLY not apply to you. Thank you for your cooperation!

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
This is the worst thing thats happened to me since my Xbox Red Ringed. I want revenge and I want it served cold.

So, yes. Please protest.

hogtownhabsfan*

I think Senators fans are understanding the anger Habs fans felt after the Chara/Pacioretty play.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I'm really emotional now and I haven't eaten since I saw Cooke forcibly drive his razor sharp skate down into EK's ankle. I'm wondering how feasible it would be to organise a protest. It may not even accomplish anything but I think the principle is more important.

Would you take some time to go down to NYC and protest for a day? It would obviously be extremely short notice so it wouldn't have the same degree of planning that the Nordiques do. I'm just extremely angry that Cooke is getting away with these "unfortunate incidents" and he's not facing any punishment. Maybe we could hit up Shanny on his way in and out of work for a day.

I apologise if this is ridiculous but I'm just in this state of mind at the moment. I'm sorry for being insensitive - soldiers are dying in the middle east, children starving and forced into slave labour in Afrika, but all I can think of is EK's ankle. I'm not looking forward to Saturday.

Mental Health Hotline Ontario: 1-866-531-2600

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Nah, I don't think it was malicious attempt to cause injury. Just very reckless play by Cooke. Regardless of what Erin Ward and the drones on this board think - it wasn't a pin play t hat happens tons of times a game.

He was trying to take Karlsson out of the play with a *sort of* muscling/slew foot type play. Playing Karlsson's body (every Penguin and player not on the Senators is probably told to play the body hard).

That play happens sometimes and sometimes goes unpenalized but it's not a simple, safe, legit pin play regardless of what people in this thread and on the main board say. The Cooke play itself looks more like a slow-downed battle towards a puck that's being called icing. Two players battling for positioning. The common thread? This play and those icing plays often end horrifically for the first guy in. This time it was a skate, sometimes it's a stick taking feet out, sometimes it's a loss of balance by one of the two, etc...

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i definitely want to do something. as long as it has some kind of impact. i like the idea of trying to think up something.

As paying nhl fans we are supporting matt cooke and i definitely do not want to be doing that. He makes 1.8 million this year. I am a very unhappy customer and i want something done about it.

I was looking for a phone number to call at least so my voice can be heard. Posting on here helps but isn't going to change much.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
No. Why on earth would we protest an accident?

Let's look sane here fellas.

hogtownhabsfan*

You are comparing Karlsson to Pacioretty?

Huh?

As players? No, but the play? Yes. Both are highly suspicious.

Chara had a vendetta against Pacioretty, and then coincidentally made that "questionable" push.

And we all know Cooke's history.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I think Senators fans are understanding the anger Habs fans felt after the Chara/Pacioretty play.

i was just as upset about that too and posted just as much about that back then and changed my avatar for it. i am a fan of hockey.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
We're going to protest the decision not to suspend Cooke for hurting someone completely unintentionally? This thread is embarrassing.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Give it a rest. A rag tag group of 3 or 4 fanatical sens fans carpooling down to nyc to march in protest in front of the nhl offices is not going to make shanny suddenly decide he was wrong and to throw the book at cooke.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Mental Health Hotline Ontario: 1-866-531-2600

No. Why on earth would we protest an accident?

Let's look sane here fellas.

This isn't the OT Lounge so I would appreciate serious responses. I'm sure Marty Straka's itchy trigger finger wouldn't hesitate to come down on me like a ton of bricks if I posted these responses.

You are comparing Karlsson to Pacioretty?

We don't know how much better of a player Patches would be had that injury not occurred.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Huh?

As players? No, but the play? Yes. Both are highly suspicious.

Chara had a vendetta against Pacioretty, and then coincidentally made that "questionable" push.

And we all know Cooke's history.

The Chara hit was much, much worse than this.

hogtownhabsfan*

i was just as upset about that too and posted just as much about that back then and changed my avatar for it. i am a fan of hockey.

And I come into this thread in support as I completely think Cooke tried to hurt him. Obviously the big question here is intent. But when you watch the play and consider the evidence...

I think Cooke knew what he was doing.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
We're going to protest the decision not to suspend Cooke for hurting someone completely unintentionally? This thread is embarrassing.

it's not just about this incident. it is about matt cooke.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
This isn't the OT Lounge so I would appreciate serious responses. I'm sure Marty Straka's itchy trigger finger wouldn't hesitate to come down on me like a ton of bricks if I posted these responses.

We don't know how much better of a player Patches would be had that injury not occurred.

I am being serious, a hockey player getting hurt should not prevent you from eating nearly 18 hours after the event

hogtownhabsfan*

I play the game regularly myself, and I just can't imagine an NHL caliber player having that much non awareness.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I am being serious, a hockey player getting hurt should not prevent you from eating nearly 18 hours after the event

It's not just "getting hurt". There is a possibility he may never be the same player. There is no guarantee the surgery will be successful as the Achilles does not "heal" like regular tissue. Until I hear otherwise I can only assume the worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad