Salary Cap: Would you or wouldn't you?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Ryan O'Reilly.

$60,000,000 over 8 years. $7.5m AAV with a NTC.

Would you sign him to that or would you rather trade him and get other assets(rumored young LHD + 1st)?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd sign him to that if the math worked on EJ, Barrie and MacK's extensions to let us sign a LHD. i'm a big Zadorov fan and believe Murray will put him on the table for ROR, but if we can keep our core and sign a vet to play with EJ that's obviously my first choice.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I know this wouldn't and won't happen but I sign Oreilly and trade Dutchy for the assets. It's a cruel world.

Would put us back a bit because we'd have to wait for Mack to mature into a bigger role, but when we are ready to rock and roll we would have an all around better team.

My opinion of course.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Depends on the assets.

Agreed. It all depends on what deals are available. If they are not great, I'd sign ROR and figure out the cap later. If they are great, I'd give them a long thought.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It really depends on the assets. I think 7.5m is a fair price but should we be spending that money on a forward when our defense is so bad?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I know this wouldn't and won't happen but I sign Oreilly and trade Dutchy for the assets. It's a cruel world.

Would put us back a bit because we'd have to wait for Mack to mature into a bigger role.

My opinion of course.
Any ROR trade is going to make us a worse team. I hope people anticipate that. It's just about what kind of assets we can get in return for him and what they do with the cap space.

It would depend on the assets but 7.5M is the absolute tops for me with ROR. If we sign him for that, I don't see how we can improve the defense unless we just wait on Bigras and pray he develops.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Trade him.

Three times out of three he's put himself over the team. Enough is enough. He's not the best player on the team and he shouldn't blow the salary structure to pieces.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
No due to NTC. I'd like him to a be a part of this team, but there has to be the option to trade him if (when) the right opportunity arises.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
No due to NTC. I'd like him to a be a part of this team, but there has to be the option to trade him if (when) the right opportunity arises.

But, like I mentioned in the other thread, he wouldn't have an NMC for the coming year. he could be signed and traded this year.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Trade him.

Three times out of three he's put himself over the team. Enough is enough. He's not the best player on the team and he shouldn't blow the salary structure to pieces.

So much truth here. He shouldnt make 1,5 mil more than Duchene, especially on contract like this. Just not worth it.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
But, like I mentioned in the other thread, he wouldn't have an NMC for the coming year. he could be signed and traded this year.

I think being signed for 8 years increases his value. But having an NMC about to take effect would be bound to give a lot of teams pause - look at the Mike Richards situation. If you're paying him 7.5x8, I don't think there's any need to include an NMC, and it only complicates the situation.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
This situation sucks regardless of the decision made. If ROR gets 7.5mil, what is MacKinnon or EJ worth? Top end players are going to turn themselves into islands on teams the higher their salaries continue to go.

In 2016-17 we could potentially be looking at 45mil for Duchy, Landy, MacK, ROR, Barrie, EJ and Varly. That's 1.5mil per roster player after them to fill out the roster. 1.17mil per roster player if we add a 6mil defender to the mix this offseason.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
Trade him.

Agreed. At the end of the day, this is a team.He's going to be a big lose to the team but screw him. We haven't gotten really far with him so it couldn't be much worse without him :laugh:.

A trade for Zadorov+ is ideal for me.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
This situation sucks regardless of the decision made. If ROR gets 7.5mil, what is MacKinnon or EJ worth? Top end players are going to turn themselves into islands on teams the higher their salaries continue to go.

In 2016-17 we could potentially be looking at 45mil for Duchy, Landy, MacK, ROR, Barrie, EJ and Varly. That's 1.5mil per roster player after them to fill out the roster. 1.17mil per roster player if we add a 6mil defender to the mix this offseason.

If we pay ROR 7,5 mil. We might as well pay EJ 10 mil. He's worth that much more to us.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Trade him, depending on the assets coming back.

If we didn't already have Duchene (good contract) and MacKinnon (think he will end up at center) for centers on this team I would be fine with $7.5Mx8.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Any ROR trade is going to make us a worse team. I hope people anticipate that. It's just about what kind of assets we can get in return for him and what they do with the cap space.

It would depend on the assets but 7.5M is the absolute tops for me with ROR. If we sign him for that, I don't see how we can improve the defense unless we just wait on Bigras and pray he develops.

It's a sticky situation, for sure. If we sign him to that contract, what would his role going forward be anyway? (assuming we keep Dutchy) How do the centers line up in a couple of years? Will RoR be Dutchy's winger again? number 2 center until Mack develops? Then what do you do with him? I don't think you can keep all three on the same team. It makes no sense.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If we pay ROR 7,5 mil. We might as well pay EJ 10 mil. He's worth that much more to us.

At some point there has to be a bubble burst in the market. I suppose now is as good a time as any, it just always seems to be the Avs on the losing end of cap-related precedents.

If ROR turns UFA and goes to a team like Buffalo that can afford to pay him 7.5-8mil, we may see more star but not elite-level talents take their skates elsewhere and shake up the market.

And then once that happens, every team capable of operating close to the cap will be. Players that want high salaries will be stuck because the league will be as saturated at the cap level as a fan-made sim league. I would assume the hurt will then fall to the non-star players. Your 2nd and 3rd liner salary will drop to compensate for the 1st liners making 8-10mil.

If your entire top line, top pairing and starter made an average of 8mil, that's over half of your cap right there. Less than 2mil left per player after.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If I could go in the time machine and see EJ, Barrie and MacKinnon sign fair but good contracts, see McGinn, Tanguay and Iginla replaced by players that are the same price or cheaper with no drop off, that we don't need to overpay and UFAs to fix our defense and see all of Bigras, Bleackley and #10 prove to be cost effective pieces for our lineup then yes I'd pay ROR that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad