Salary Cap: Would you or wouldn't you?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Also one last thing is you want to have guys like Duchene and Landeskog who set a culture for the team where if you want to be in Colorado and win the Cup then sign solid deals so when the time comes the team can get the guys they need to push them over the edge. RoR has had plenty of chances to be an Av for long term and each time he has put himself before the team, and that's not the type of guys you invest in. Look at LA who sign there players to nothing but steals. Even TT signed for crazy cheap instead of going for an offer sheet.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I hope so, I'm just going to have to take everybody else's word for it. I'm not sure I agree, but I don't have a crystal ball either.

People seem to have short term memories as far as hockey goes.
1st) we know Duchene needs a winger (preferably LW) that can possess the puck and enter the zone consistently to give him a little bit of space (players like Flash, Meuller to a smaller extent, PaP and RoR) however when he does have that player he is one of THE best players in the NHL and plays with horrifying skill. When he doesn't have that (like last year) he can tend to get frustrated. Luckily he doesn't need a very talented LW, just one that fits with his play style which is good news for the Avs.

2nd) Mackinnon was 1st OA in an insanely good draft. I think this kid will be a top 5 player in the WORLD in his prime.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
People seem to have short term memories as far as hockey goes.
1st) we know Duchene needs a winger (preferably LW) that can possess the puck and enter the zone consistently to give him a little bit of space (players like Flash, Meuller to a smaller extent, PaP and RoR) however when he does have that player he is one of THE best players in the NHL and plays with horrifying skill. When he doesn't have that (like last year) he can tend to get frustrated. Luckily he doesn't need a very talented LW, just one that fits with his play style which is good news for the Avs.

2nd) Mackinnon was 1st OA in an insanely good draft. I think this kid will be a top 5 player in the WORLD in his prime.

I agree about Mack, I have liked him from the beginning. I guess Dutchy is where I have the hangup. You are right, though, if you find him the right winger he could be an elite #2. I would have just preferred to keep the more versatile ROR.

I really hope to eat my words on him, though........ he is a good dude, wants to be an AV and is on a great contract. He is still young, too.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I dunno where to ask, but can we afford to sign Radulov next off-season for $6-$7mil per season? Let's say MacK will earn 6,5mil, Barrie 5,5mil and EJ 6,75mil.. Is there anything left?

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I dunno where to ask, but can we afford to sign Radulov next off-season for $6-$7mil per season? Let's say MacK will earn 6,5mil, Barrie 5,5mil and EJ 6,75mil.. Is there anything left?

Well you're looking at about 8 million in raises. Plus 4.5 to Beauch and 2.4 to Comeau. Thats 14.9M spent to our 16.5 in space we had this year. So 1.6M open. Depends on the cap increase (I guarantee it won't be much with the Canadian dollar continuing to plummet) and who isn't with the team anymore. I doubt it very much.

Edit: Obviously that's not counting filling holes we'll have with other guys off the roster next year. Just rough estimates based on our space this year.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Well you're looking at about 8 million in raises. Plus 4.5 to Beauch and 2.4 to Comeau. Thats 14.9M spent to our 16.5 in space we had this year. So 1.6M open. Depends on the cap increase (I guarantee it won't be much with the Canadian dollar continuing to plummet) and who isn't with the team anymore. I doubt it very much.

Damn, so there's absolutely no room, unless we sign MacKinnon to bridge deal, that could save couple mill.

We would have to give up Tanguay, Stuart:))) etc.

It could work, If our younger prospects would make it to NHL..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad