Would you like to see Gino Odjick inducted into the Canucks' Ring of Honour?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
He was a fan favorite, but come on... No way.

He was a pure goon, Bure's bodyguard. Bure would feed him the puck after doing all the work sometimes for laughs, or because Bure was always drawing the double team and Gino was open.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I loved him as a Canuck, but no.

And VeteranNetPresence, neither Gino nor Harold were "mediocre" at what they did. Due to the way the game is played nowdays, probably Gino would probably just be a Sestito upgrade. But he'd be a serious upgrade. Harold on the other hand would great in our Top 4.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I loved him as a Canuck, but no.

And VeteranNetPresence, neither Gino nor Harold were "mediocre" at what they did. Due to the way the game is played nowdays, probably Gino would probably just be a Sestito upgrade. But he'd be a serious upgrade. Harold on the other hand would great in our Top 4.

If Harold were in our top 4 we'd be in serious trouble...the guy couldn't skate for ****....he'd be getting walked around constantly...different era.

Betamax*

If Harold were in our top 4 we'd be in serious trouble...the guy couldn't skate for ****....he'd be getting walked around constantly...different era.

I have vague memories of Harold ... besides the Harold chants from the fans, the only thing that comes to mind was that pass ... to Bossy. :(

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

He was fast enough for the time... give him the training, equipment, diet, blahblahblah of a player today and he'd be fine.

Snepsts was actually an above average player... he made the AS team a couple of times and was somewhere in Vancouver's top 3 defenseman for 8 seasons.* Sadly, like Bill Buckner, his fine career often gets remembered for one instant of failure, his pass to Bossy in OT of Game 1 of the 1982 Stanley Cup Final. The thing was, he was on the ice in overtime against the Isles best line because he was our best defender. And he made a mistake. And it sucked.

The thing was, despite that mis-que, which could have gotten a lesser player drummed out of town, the fans LOVED him... and it wasn't just for the moustache and hairline, it was because he bled blue and green (and orange,red and black) and he was good, rugged, stay-at-home defenseman. One of the few "good" players we had at the time.

Now, despite all that, I don't know if I would induct Snepsts into the ring of honour if it were up to me. But I'd definitely put Harold in before Gino, and that is no slight to Gino in any way.

*someone will correctly mention that being the best defenseman on a terrible team isn't that great a deal... and that during that period every team had to have an all-star representative. To that person I say, shut up.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Snepsts was actually an above average player... he made the AS team a couple of times and was somewhere in Vancouver's top 3 defenseman for 8 seasons.* Sadly, like Bill Buckner, his fine career often gets remembered for one instant of failure, his pass to Bossy in OT of Game 1 of the 1982 Stanley Cup Final. The thing was, he was on the ice in overtime against the Isles best line because he was our best defender. And he made a mistake. And it sucked.
I wouldn't just call it a mistake; it was the dumbest he could've done on the ice at the time. Even passing to Trottier would've been far better (and that guy is a legit hall of famer).:laugh:

Still....it really would've only prolonged the probable outcome. Islanders would've still won the series at some point.

Betamax*

One thing I alluded to earlier was Odjick's friendship with Canucks Ownership. Let's not forget that the Canucks as an organization have been proactive in connecting with the Aboriginal communities in BC as witnessed by their Orca Corporate Logo and other examples like pre-training camp this off-season the organization went to the North to those communities for "group bonding" and to further their links and connection to the people. Odjick is probably the most famous ex-Canucks Ambassadors/Representatives of Aboriginal descent, therefore from that angle (besides the fact that I believe his on ice contributions on their own merit induction) there's that the extra incentive to name him to the RoH.

Furthermore, Gino was an Anti-Bullying Advocate before it became a hot button issue in the mainstream. He was certainly ahead of his time.

Betamax*

re: http://canuckslegends.blogspot.ca/20...no-odjick.html

Excerpt:

Odjick was a leader. He was more popular among teammates than with fans. He would go to any length to help out a teammate, on or off the ice. When Mark Messier and Mike Keenan chased popular figures such as Trevor Linden out of town, Odjick was perhaps the only player to stand up against the new regime.

Found this interview by Dan Russell where Gino speaks out about the infamous Keenan dressing down of Linden in St. Louis:

Fast forward to about 14min 18seconds.

He suggested that "If he know he could get away with it, he probably would have punched Keenan out that night." Then he later mentioned that he told Messier that one of these days he was going to punch him out as well.

Seriously, if he did one or the other, I would have proposed that the Canucks' skip the RoH ... and go one step up and retire his number, alongside Linden's and Bure's.

And if he accomplished both, I would have thought, an Induction to the BC Sports Hall of Fame and the Order of British Columbia would have been appropos.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
01-how-about-no-bear.jpg

Betamax*

Uh, Jack ... I think if the bear could speak it would say "Hell Yes!"

re:

https://twitter.com/ginodjick/status/403764552354889730

Gino Odjick @ginodjick
@D_Booth7 @OwenNolan11 Mr Booth If I Ever C U Post A Picture Of A Dead Bear Again!U&Your Little Midget Coach John T Will Get A Beating 4It!!

9:59 PM - 21 Nov 13

Am I the only one that tears up a bit after reading Gino's tweets? I think they are comparable in quality to the ones tweeted by The Iron Sheik.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
Of course Odjick should be up there. It's a ring of honour not a jersey retirement. Fill that thing up with all the fan favourites.

Odjick, Courtnall, Lumme, Adams. Put them all up there. Ohlund, Bertuzzi, and Jovo too when they retire.

Odjick in particular deserves to get in, though. He embraced this community, was the best at we he did, was a hit with the fans, and turned his life around to become a great role model.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'd be embarrassed as a Canucks fan if this were to happen. He might have been a huge fan favourite, but he should not be considered for that type of honour.

Betamax*

Of course Odjick should be up there. It's a ring of honour not a jersey retirement. Fill that thing up with all the fan favourites.

Odjick, Courtnall, Lumme, Adams. Put them all up there. Ohlund, Bertuzzi, and Jovo too when they retire.

Odjick in particular deserves to get in, though. He embraced this community, was the best at we he did, was a hit with the fans, and turned his life around to become a great role model.

Yeah, I think the idea for the RoH came from their 40th anniversary.

Currently they have Kurtenbach (70s era), Snepsts and Gradin (80s era) and McLean (90s era) as the four initial inductees.

I think the 90s era doesn't have enough representation. That's why I think Gino should join the list of Canucks great and as a builder from the 90s era, I would put Pat Quinn in there as well.

BTW, it's also the 20th Anniversary of the '94 run next year, so I think the Canucks should acknowledge it in some way during the Heritage Classic by bringing the team back together for an alumni game during the Heritage Classic Weekend.

natemm

Sep 13, 2013
Having a 20th anniversary celebration for getting knocked out of the playoffs just screams Canucks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad