Would you like to see Gino Odjick inducted into the Canucks' Ring of Honour?

Betamax*

After seeing him in public for the Pavel Bure number retirement ceremony, and the ovation he received, I think the Canucks should honour him in the RoH! He probably ranks in the Top 5 of All-Time Canucks Fan Favourites!

IMO, he had the second most memorable rookie debut (after Bure's):

see:

and

Let's not forget this: Gino punching wild in the infamous Game 6 Playoffs Brawl against The Blues:

He also had some shooting talents ......

And one of the few Canucks that had a song dedicated to him ......

Via http://canuckslegends.blogspot.ca/2006/08/gino-odjick.html

Excerpt:

Odjick was a leader. He was more popular among teammates than with fans. He would go to any length to help out a teammate, on or off the ice. When Mark Messier and Mike Keenan chased popular figures such as Trevor Linden out of town, Odjick was perhaps the only player to stand up against the new regime.

Fast forward to 2013, he's remains an amusing dude as well if you peruse his twitter account:

https://twitter.com/ginodjick/status/403764552354889730

Gino Odjick @ginodjick
@D_Booth7 @OwenNolan11 Mr Booth If I Ever C U Post A Picture Of A Dead Bear Again!U&Your Little Midget Coach John T Will Get A Beating 4It!!

9:59 PM - 21 Nov 13

and almost as important, he has close ties to the decision makers:

https://twitter.com/ginodjick/status/404932363236294656

Gino Odjick @ginodjick
These Men...Have Become Family2Me....They R Not2B Touched Or Victimized....=XoU4....:)CU Thx U Mr F LAHACHE pic.twitter.com/SryzMw54oL

3:19 AM - 25 Nov 13

68byfr.jpg

:handclap:

What say you? :m-cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
No.

Might as well have Cliff Ronning up there or even Courtnall.

Hell we should have McLean just for his, wait for it....., legendary pad save in 94.

My dad hangs out with him fairly often. I'll get him to ask his thoughts next time he sees him.

Last edited:

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
I don't understand why being an amusing person on twitter has anything to do with the ring of honour but ok

Betamax*

No.

Might as well have Cliff Ronning up there or even Courtnall.

Hell we should have McLean just for his, wait for it....., legendary pad save in 94.

Might dad hangs out with him fairly often. I'll get him to ask his thoughts next time he sees him.

Well, I think from the '94 team roster which I rate ahead of the 2011 team roster when it comes to longer lasting positive memories, Gino would rank just after Linden and probably ahead of Bure in terms of popularity among the fan base from that era. Both Linden and Bure have their numbers retired.

Gino's induction would in part, represent the ending of an era i.e. the fan favourite tough guy that I see being phased out incrementally due to concerns of concussions and pending ligitation and likely rule changes to discourage fighting.

Those that followed the team can remember the Canucks were being bullied around and undersized guys like Ronnie Stern were literally forced to stick up for his teammates. The Canucks used a first round pick to draft Shawn Antoski, who was pegged to be what Gino ultimately became, the tough guy/enforcer that the Canucks absolutely needed and fufilled that role for a period of time better than any other player in Canucks history, IMO.

StringerBell

Sure why not. It's basically the equivalence of giving someone a participation ribbon except there's a fun ceremony and a trip down memory lane involved.

Gino is the ****.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Sure why not.

Considering that the Canucks have botched the RoH idea, why not add a name to it. Throw the core of the '94 team up there and be done with it for 20 years and then we'll induct the 2011 core.

Betamax*

The ring of honour is a joke, and I still wouldn't let Gino have one. I like what he did, but no.

No, I think the Ring of Honour is a tool used to recognize past Canucks greats for their contributions to the team. Gino was no joke when it came to how he positively impacted the team and how he brought some credibility when the Canucks had a reputation of being the 'P' variation of the word cat.

To digress, If we are talking about a joke (albeit funny, IMO), it was the il-fated "7th Fan" promotion, when they brought back past Canucks such as Cliffy Ronning to hit a buzzer (IIRC) and than some banner with the number 7 would unravel during each game.

It was a blatant rip-off of the NFL Seahawks' wildly successful 12th man banner raising that they have during each home game.

I think it lasted a couple of times before it quietly disappeared.

I think in terms of failed promos, it would, IMO, rate as the second worst failure in pro sports/entertainment history only behind WCW's debut of the Shockmaster.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Seriously?

Uhhh....no. What feats did he accomplish as a Vancouver Canuck, other than beating people up? Lets save the RoH for excellence on the ice, with the organization and in the community.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
No, I think the Ring of Honour is a tool used to recognize past Canucks greats for their contributions to the team. Gino was no joke when it came to how he positively impacted the team and how he brought some credibility when the Canucks had a reputation of being the 'P' variation of the word cat.

To digress, If we are talking about a joke (albeit funny, IMO), it was the il-fated "7th Fan" promotion, when they brought back past Canucks such as Cliffy Ronning to hit a buzzer (IIRC) and than some banner with the number 7 would unravel during each game.

It was a blatant rip-off of the NFL Seahawks' wildly successful 12th man banner raising that they have during each home game.

I think in terms of failed promos, it would, IMO, rate as the second worst failure in pro sports/entertainment history only behind WCW's debut of the Shockmaster.

"The Guardian Project" :help:

Betamax*

Seriously?

Uhhh....no. What feats did he accomplish as a Vancouver Canuck, other than beating people up? Lets save the RoH for excellence on the ice, with the organization and in the community.

re: "mediocrity"

I'm sorry but that's a complete lack of respect for the role of the enforcer/tough guy, where IMO, Gino in his prime ranked in the Top 5. That is excellence on the ice. Hockey isn't always just about who generates the most points or puts up the most impressive offensive numbers. He still remains popular with the fanbase because they recognize and appreciate what his contributions meant to the team.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver

I'm sorry but that's a complete lack of respect for the role of the enforcer/tough guy, where IMO, Gino in his prime ranked in the Top 5. That is excellence on the ice. Hockey isn't always just about who generates the most points or puts up the most impressive offensive numbers. He still remains popular with the fanbase because they recognize and appreciate what his contributions meant to the team.

look, i was a big gino fan growing up as a kid but lets be serious- he was just a glorified goon. if we had to put up names in the ring of honour off of your criteria then there would be a whole whack of people up there- and that would dilute the meaning of it

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Exactly...its a role that's completely unnecessary in the game of hockey and is currently being slowly weeded out. Guys like Gino are an embarrassment to the game.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver

I think the ROH is a continuation of the '7th man' failure; A result of the inept Canucks PR inorganically churning out way too much false-sentimentality all at once. It's like 'Love Day'. I like Gino enough that he deserves not to get one.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I think the ROH is a continuation of the '7th man' failure; A result of the inept Canucks PR inorganically churning out way too much false-sentimentality all at once. It's like 'Love Day'. I like Gino enough that he deserves not to get one.

Looks like someone doesn't have the Heart of a Canuck! :sarcasm:

John Bender*

Gino looked like he has lost his mind based on his appearance at the bure ceremony.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Love the guy but no. We've honored and retired enough mediocre players. Outside of Bure, the other 3 guys we've retired weren't even point per game players during their careers. We need to stop with the gimmicks. Only the truly great players should be honored.

Betamax*

Comedic Gold, Comedic Silver, and Comedic Bronze!

The Seahawks ripped off the 12th man idea.

IMO, it doesn't matter whether it was a rip off or not. The fans in Seattle embraced it vs. what happened with the Canucks il-fated promo:

BRONZE MEDAL

To be honest, the 7th man ceremony isn't as bad as I thought ... in a comedic bronze kind of way ..... :nod:

BTW, I forgot ... I've downgraded the ranking of the 7th man ceremony after further investigation in this matter and put it in the bronze position, and comedic silver goes to the Ottawa Senators' 300 style Intro:

SILVER MEDAL

Kinda appropos given that they are the two participants in the "Heritage Classic" ... Well, I guess you can say both franchises can lay claim to two Instant Classics ... :laugh:

However, the undisputed Gold Standard in terms of comedic gold without a doubt still goes to WCW's Shockmaster Debut however:

GOLD MEDAL

BTW, Tell me I'm wrong. :m-cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad