would you have preferred Yakupov request in the off season?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I would've preferred the offseason or even not at all. A trade request diminishes value a bit.
A trade request does diminish value but it's irrelevant that it's come out now. As soon as the Oilers granted Larionov permission to speak to other teams every GM in the league knew he had asked for a trade. His return, whatever it may end up being, isn't going to be affected by that story getting out. If it's affected it's because Chiarelli didn't quietly get a deal done himself.

Elric

May 1, 2015
In Wheat
A trade request does diminish value but it's irrelevant that it's come out now. As soon as the Oilers granted Larionov permission to speak to other teams every GM in the league knew he had asked for a trade. His return, whatever it may end up being, isn't going to be affected by that story getting out. If it's affected it's because Chiarelli didn't quietly get a deal done himself.

I agree in that the timing doesn't affect things much. Generally at the deadline the sellers are giving up players to get the buying team over the hump or provide cheap depth. Yak is the kind of player right now that the buyers give up, not that they trade for. The draft makes more sense but really there is not a huge amount of value there anyway. The pick we give up for Chia probably has more value. The most interesting thing to me is that this is the first player in Edmonton I can remember who has requested a trade that hasn't had a fairly nasty fan reaction. That looks good on Yak.

Avenger*

Now he's been playing great with Hall-Drai. Matter of fact, he's been great since the deadline.

You have low standards if you think Yakupov has been "great". Add that he's a first overall and his play is close to bust.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
While he isn't always effective and is very inconsistent in what he does I don't hate him for asking for a trade and however it went public it doesn't bother me.

I think he's an awesome passionate dude and he desperately needs a change of scenery. I'd like to see him in a Wings uniform.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
That's how I see it but it's also concerning, especially listening to Larionov talk about it. Kid doesn't think the onus is on him to earn a higher spot in the lineup. Regardless of how much he was dicked around here, it ultimately does come down to the player. You can make it impossible for them to keep you out of the top 6 yourself if you put your nose to the grindstone and work, especially with some of the skills Yakupov has. When a guy blames everyone but himself though... that's a bad attitude that is likely better off being purged.

*********. This is the same type of scenario that Chimera was in when he was an Oiler and one of the reasons he openly hated this organization for so long. Yak has been cut out of the circle for 3 straight years now and him requesting a trade is completely reasonable. Especially when we have/had guys like Eberle/Shultz playing like its a game of shinny no energy and no intensity whatsoever gifted top 6 and top 4 minutes. How anyone can sit there with a straight face and say he wasn't mishandled is completely baffling. This organization let Justin Freaking Shultz play 22+ minutes a game for 2 straight years when he didn't deserve diddly squat and continued to do it after the player fell flat on his face and failed time and time again. Yet we couldn't give Yak a full season look in the top 6? Better yet we couldn't give him 30+ game look to end the season when the season was meaningless anyway with Mcdavid? If I was Yakupov I'd be pissed too to see nothings in Korpikoski and Pakman get chances playing with Mcdavid while he toiled away playing with no offence Letestu as his centerman.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
*********. This is the same type of scenario that Chimera was in when he was an Oiler and one of the reasons he openly hated this organization for so long. Yak has been cut out of the circle for 3 straight years now and him requesting a trade is completely reasonable. Especially when we have/had guys like Eberle/Shultz playing like its a game of shinny no energy and no intensity whatsoever gifted top 6 and top 4 minutes. How anyone can sit there with a straight face and say he wasn't mishandled is completely baffling. This organization let Justin Freaking Shultz play 22+ minutes a game for 2 straight years when he didn't deserve diddly squat and continued to do it after the player fell flat on his face and failed time and time again. Yet we couldn't give Yak a full season look in the top 6? Better yet we couldn't give him 30+ game look to end the season when the season was meaningless anyway with Mcdavid? If I was Yakupov I'd be pissed too to see nothings in Korpikoski and Pakman get chances playing with Mcdavid while he toiled away playing with no offence Letestu as his centerman.

So much truth here. I never understood that once the season was over they still never gave him full time top 6 duty. In defence of Eberle, even though he looks like he's floating he's still putting up good numbers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We actually had better options in the top 6 that were producing, so no we couldn't give him a whole year.

It's not meaningless hockey either. This team is finding structure and doesn't need to piss away yet another training camp figuring out who works with who just because there is an underachieving 1st overall that still doesn't grasp the issues that he had in junior that are now hurting him in the NHL.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Eberle is a better player than Yakupov is full stop and there's really no arguments otherwise. Purcell was playing well and he was a veteran who knew how to play not the spaz Yakupov is. So why gift a guy who isn't playing as good as others a spot just so you hope that he lives up to what you imagine he can be? Spots need to be earned and like it or not Eberle and Purcell earned those spots much more than Yakupov ever did. Blaming the lack of top 6 spot for his lack of performance is the biggest cop out ever. There is more to earning a spot than simply producing and too many times Yakupov didn't show that he had what it takes. The fact that he needs to play with the teams best players in order to look like a real player is more of a strike against the guy than it is a case to be in the top 6. If he needs to be dragged along for the ride all the time why gift him a role in the top 6? It's not like he's so good when there that you can't take him out. Everyone else has been producing with McDavid and Hall and Draisaitl as well.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Not sure how I feel about this. Yak's main complaints are his role on the team, not so much the position of the team. Say the Oilers were doing better (playoff hunt) and Yak was just struggling as he is now, would he have come out and confirmed the trade requests all the same? I'm not sure, but for that reason I feel it could have been left until off season.

Why not just wait until the season is over? Every GM already knew he was available at the deadline.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I don't think Yak actually wants out of town. He wants top 6 minutes.

exactly. I don't think he demanded a trade. He just wanted to play in the top 6. probably basically said if you don't play me here in the top 6 then send me some where else.

This is all being blown up. He will probably be back next year.

people ask for trades all the time. It really isn't much of a issue.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I honestly don't think this becoming public makes any real difference.

Yak being actively available wasn't even a secret among fans.

Yup. Everyone knew already. All this did was give the media something to sink their teeth into for a few weeks until the season ends. Once playoffs start they will all forget about it :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad