would you have preferred Yakupov request in the off season?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Listening to a few stations tonight and it seems the question is "why now"? and not "in the off season"?

The older posters on this board will remember the Pronger request. There were some rumours during the cup final, all denied and when he left after packing up he said "See you in the fall" to a few reporters." Then 48 hours after he left town--the trade request become public.

I do not like how that was handled.

so here is the question

Would you have rather Yak be in Edmonton and face questions? or duck out of Edmonton and have his agent handle all the questions? Like Pronger

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Obviously Yak wants to create public pressure in order to be traded. I do not care. He is the worst number1 pick. Even Daigle was better. We just trade him. Maybe we can get something in return in the form of salary dump

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think its relevant because the Oilers are not headed into the playoffs. I actually think it might have caused some interesting distraction at a time where the team is at a lull closing out the season.
The team definitely showed some fire last night and so did Yak. Sometimes more emotion, engagement, even controversy is needed.

Conversely being an Eskimos fan I don't like that the Chris Jones contract offer thing, and him likely leaving, was leaded during the playoffs. That was brutal.

This one was no big thing occurring late in a non playoff year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Better Yak or the team releasing it than Bryan Murray in Ottawa. The fact that it stayed this quiet despite the fact that his agent was talking to other teams is quite shocking in itself.

The other thing is after listening to Larionov I really don't know that he is demanding a trade either. Seems quite simple either play me or try find someone who will.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Timing is not a big deal.

Asking shortly before the deadline made a lot of sense. Yak kept it quiet for a while. If he was that big of a distraction I don't think Chia sticks to his price in mind.

Now Chia might as well hold onto Yak until the return is what he wants.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't think Yak actually wants out of town. He wants top 6 minutes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Timing is not a big deal.

Asking shortly before the deadline made a lot of sense. Yak kept it quiet for a while. If he was that big of a distraction I don't think Chia sticks to his price in mind.

Now Chia might as well hold onto Yak until the return is what he wants.

For what it's worth Pronger asked long before it came out as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

This is what I got out of Larionov. The problem I see it is the language barrier and the hate that there is for Yak.

I don't agree that the Oilers should just give Yak 15 minutes a night no questions asked like Larionov wants. As a whole I didn't like what Larionov said. He needs to realize that at this point Yak scoring 5 goals isn't going to change anything and that the Oilers are trying to do their best to finish strong so they aren't ******* around in training camp yet again.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I would assume hes wanted out for a little while now. But strange timing for it to come out now after the deadline during this last part of a mess of a season. Yakupov/agent sould have waited till offseason for this to come out. Nothing can be done yet anyways and its just causing yet another distraction. The team has way worse things to worry about than reporters talking about him requesting a trade. Its quite obvious Oilers are going to do everything in their power to trade him this offseason anyways.

Im actually quite irritated this has come out at this point

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Chia told him and his agent they could approach teams, so everyone who matters -- NHL GMs -- already knew. The fact that Joe Blow of the general public knows doesn't change anything.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Chia told him and his agent they could approach teams, so everyone who matters -- NHL GMs -- already knew. The fact that Joe Blow of the general public knows doesn't change anything.

Thank you.

It's not like the players, coaches or management are shocked by his request.

I'll be interested to see what price Chia is sticking to. Maybe he has set it high because he does want to keep Yak around, or at least keep his options open.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So a consensus 1st overall who was mishandled for 4 years and now asking for top 6 minutes? If you were in his position, what would you do?

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I respect that he or his agent didnt go public before the deadline. And that he still tries out there.

I liked Hall's comment on the situation and think this going public could even help Yakupov get along with the team better.

Yakupov seems like the type that will let his sad feelings go unheard, but now that its out there maybe the guys will be able to help iron out his mental issues.

I still think his value is too low to be worth trading.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

That's how I see it but it's also concerning, especially listening to Larionov talk about it. Kid doesn't think the onus is on him to earn a higher spot in the lineup. Regardless of how much he was dicked around here, it ultimately does come down to the player. You can make it impossible for them to keep you out of the top 6 yourself if you put your nose to the grindstone and work, especially with some of the skills Yakupov has. When a guy blames everyone but himself though... that's a bad attitude that is likely better off being purged.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't really understand the question. As stated by many, he wants more opportunity. He wants to play. He gets to play right now, so No you don't want him to request the year off, he doesn't want that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thank you.

It's not like the players, coaches or management are shocked by his request.

I'll be interested to see what price Chia is sticking to. Maybe he has set it high because he does want to keep Yak around, or at least keep his options open.

Apparently TM asked the media did he really ask for a trade or was it another language barrier issue.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't really understand the question. As stated by many, he wants more opportunity. He wants to play. He gets to play right now, so No you don't want him to request the year off, he doesn't want that.

Exactly this. Yak got what he wanted. He asked for a trade to get more opportunity on the team. Now he's been playing great with Hall-Drai. Matter of fact, he's been great since the deadline.

Waiting until the offseason doesn't do anything for him on the 3rd line or his value.

Redbarchettayyz

Oct 30, 2009
Edmonton
I respect that he or his agent didnt go public before the deadline. And that he still tries out there.

I liked Hall's comment on the situation and think this going public could even help Yakupov get along with the team better.

Yakupov seems like the type that will let his sad feelings go unheard, but now that its out there maybe the guys will be able to help iron out his mental issues.

I still think his value is too low to be worth trading.

I missed what Hall said on it, what did he say?

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He seems fine. He's still playing hard, and seems to be getting along better with his teammates than before the trade request (how often does Hall pass him the puck like he did last night?) The celebration after the goal was better too.

I wish it hadn't come to a trade request but can totally understand why it happened. Wherever he does end up, I hope he turns into a 30 goal scorer and plays in the NHL for a long time. I certainly think there are some teams that are a great fit for him, and if he finds his way there he's going to have success.

Regardless, he's one of the few genuine players in interviews and I can appreciate him for that. And I won't miss hearing Remenda bag on him every chance he gets (seriously, what was that garbage yesterday).

It would be interesting to do a poll now for people to make their stance known as to whether they think Yakupov will have any future success in the NHL.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I don't really care, Yak is gone and not for much of a return, he doesn't justify much of a return. Another once promising player screwed up by the oilers and with the 'trade request' we now have our new whipping boy to berate and he will certainlybe a major whipping boy for the media that went out of their way to blame him for a lot of things. Rishaug must be griming like the Grinch right about now.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I honestly don't think this becoming public makes any real difference.

Yak being actively available wasn't even a secret among fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad