Would you have accepted the Seabrook & 3 OA for 10 OA offer?

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
As the Title asks, would you have accepted the rumored draft proposal? It would mean the following:

- Canucks draft Bowen Byram.
- Canucks do not draft Podkolzin.
- No signing Myers because that money is tied up in Seabrook.

The Seabrook contract is obviously brutal, but I would be tempted to take it on for Byram. Imagine Hughes and Byram as the core of our defence for the next 10 years.

Reactions: mossey3535

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Not if Seabrook would’ve prevented us from resigning Pettersson or Boeser or Hughes or Byram.

Getting Seabrook would’ve meant a downgrade on our defense for the next 2-3 years which is not what you want to do if you’re trying to make the playoffs.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Nope the 10 O A would be too much to pay.

I might have been okay with Seabrook and the 3 OA for someone expendable, like Sutter.

But really, Seabrook’s deal is one of the worst ones going and we have enough garbage contracts as it is. I’m fine with letting one of our rivals sink with their self inflicted millstone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If that deal was really on the table, then it worked out for the best for Benning and the Canucks. Myers is light years ahead of Seabrook at this point in their careers, and from all reports Podkolzin was the third best player in the draft for most of the season but dropped because of the 'Russian factor'.

Sure Byram would have been a very nice 'add' for the Canucks.....but the chances of the Hawks trading a top-three draft pick just to unload Seabrook's contract were about 'nil' imo.

Reactions: DomY

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
If that deal was really on the table, then it worked out for the best for Benning and the Canucks. Myers is light years ahead of Seabrook at this point in their careers, and from all reports Podkolzin was the third best player in the draft for most of the season but dropped because of the 'Russian factor'.

Sure Byram would have been a very nice 'add' for the Canucks.....but the chances of the Hawks trading a top-three draft pick just to unload Seabrook's contract were about 'nil' imo.

They definitely were not nil. The rumor was actually viewed as quite credible. And they would not be unloading a Top 3 to get rid of Seabrook. They would be downgrading from #3 to #10 to get rid of him.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Seabrook is 34 and has 5 years left on his deal at $6.875 million per. If it isn't already that is basically guaranteed to turn into an Albatross contract of the Eriksson level, so I think I'm glad they passed on that trade.

With Tyler Myers, age 29 with 5 years at $6.0 million per there is at least a chance he remains a serviceable defenceman for the duration of the contract.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think this trade possibility really demonstrates why wasting cap space on players like Beagle, Roussel and Schaller is a bad idea. Imagine if Benning didn't over pay for tons of UFAs with "intangibles", but instead, was able to upgrade from 10 to 3 for an overpaid player with great "intangibles"? I know what I would have preferred.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Nope, not with that contract. Seabrook already gets sheltered minutes, imagine the next 5 years. Podkolzin and 5 years of Myers > Byram and whats left of Seabrook

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Tough call. The contract costs you a 6-7 million dollar player. Is the difference between Podkolzin/Boldy and Byram/Dach worth not having JTMiller for 5yrs through Horvats prime?

I wouldn't have done it.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Tough call. The contract costs you a 6-7 million dollar player. Is the difference between Podkolzin/Boldy and Byram/Dach worth not having JTMiller for 5yrs through Horvats prime?

I wouldn't have done it.

What do you mean? We would still acquire Miller. It's Myers who we would not have signed (and possibly not Ferland).

Basically, would you rather have Byram & Seabrook or Podkolzin & Myers? The former being a slightly higher cap hit and for longer. It's close, but I would take Seabrook's contract if it means Byram. We need him WAY more than we need Podkolzin. Byram & Hughes on the backend would be a gamechanger.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What do you mean? We would still acquire Miller. It's Myers who we would not have signed (and possibly not Ferland).

Basically, would you rather have Byram & Seabrook or Podkolzin & Myers? The former being a slightly higher cap hit and for longer. It's close, but I would take Seabrook's contract if it means Byram. We need him WAY more than we need Podkolzin. Byram & Hughes on the backend would be a gamechanger.
I agree it could have been Ferland but if Benning wanted to upgrade his defense and came home from shopping with Seabrook he may as well resigned.

Its more like Miller +1.5 million Podkolzin or Ferland 2.25 million Podkolzin vs Byram Seabrook IMO. tough call because as much as i like Byram it depends how you view this affecting Horvats prime

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I still think Seabrook is serviceable. Really in a rebuild, who would be a better candidate to help guide new players into the league than a multi-Stanley Cup winning defenseman from the best hockey system of this generation? We saw the benefits of Schenn last season on Hughes. Seabrook would be just fine as a defensive defenseman in Benn's role.

Reactions: mossey3535

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
I agree it could have been Ferland but if Benning wanted to upgrade his defense and came home from shopping with Seabrook he may as well resigned.

Its more like Miller +1.5 million Podkolzin or Ferland 2.25 million Podkolzin vs Byram Seabrook IMO. tough call because as much as i like Byram it depends how you view this affecting Horvats prime

He wouldn't come home with Seabrook; he would come home with a franchise defenceman in Byram. Seabrook is just a byproduct of the trade.

Yeah, I mean it's all theoretical but I really see no reason to believe Miller would be out if Bryam/Seabrook were in. So I don't think Horvat's linemates are a factor. I would happily give up Podkolzin, Ferland, and the capspace for Byram. He addresses such a huge team need.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
No
The difference between Bryam and Pod isn’t worth taking on Seabrook

Not even considering the value of a franchise defenceman to a team starving for high-end skill on the back end much more than another forward?

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
We already have enough deadweight on this team

I understand where you are coming from, but to me the value of the franchise defenceman is worth the dead weight. I was disappointed Benning didn't make the trade. Oh well.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
At the time I'd have done it. But to be a good move would have meant doing everything my way, including still tanking this year.

Byram spend this year in the minors, Seabrook does his thing in the big leagues, we don't sign Myers or trade for Miller, we still sign Ferland and we sign Nyquist. We get a high draft pick again in 2020.

After that, we start trying to compete. The next 3 years Byram is on his ELC balancing out Seabrooks cap hit, so think of it as a top 4 dman (Byram) and a bottom pairing dman (Seabrook) for their combined cap hits and it's not so bad. We have another top pick from 2020 to also be an ELC afterwards.

With the benefit of hindsight I'd rather pay a small price to move up one and get Zegras. You also can't make this move and then trade away your 1st and instantly try to compete like we did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad