Speculation: Would you give Duchene 8M x 7 years in free agency?

Would you sign Duchene to a 7 year deal with an AAV of 8M?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Not sure why some act like they can be picky...

The best ufa signed by the Habs in the last 20 years was... Cammalleri? If a top tier player want to sign here, you have to think thrice before saying no.

(But hey, the Habs will probably sign a 2nd/3rd class ufa and give a PTO to random washed up guy anyway, so no point in overthinking this.)

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

The best ufa signed by the Habs in the last 20 years was... Cammalleri? If a top tier player want to sign here, you have to think thrice before saying no.

(But hey, the Habs will probably sign a 2nd/3rd class ufa and give a PTO to random washed up guy anyway, so no point in overthinking this.)
Alzner ?

:snide:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
There is no way he signs for 8 million with the tax rate in Montreal. If he was willing to, I would easily sign him.

We have no idea what he wants financially, the tax could be irrelevant to him, he stated repeteadly earlier in the year it wasnt about money (cliche, but cant rule out the possibility of truthfulness), and then re-iterated after getting traded to columbus that there was simply too many question marks in ottawa to want to commit long term despite their generous contract offers

He WOULD like to preferably stay close to his close-to-ottawa home, and ottawa and toronto are out of the running and the next closest place is his childhood favorite team... that's possibly about to open the checkbooks... im just, im jus sayin

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Absolutely not.

He will be a major disappointment to whichever GM/team is silly enough to pay a UFA premium for his contract-year point totals (a year in which his team was a basement dweller & his deadline team has struggled since acquiring him).

Reactions: Walrus26

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
For many professionals it's is more then about money. The last few millions don't change much in life. in today world climate, I would not be surprised if a Canadian player with a young family choses to live in Canada over the us for a couple of millions more.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
We have no idea what he wants financially, the tax could be irrelevant to him, he stated repeteadly earlier in the year it wasnt about money (cliche, but cant rule out the possibility of truthfulness), and then re-iterated after getting traded to columbus that there was simply too many question marks in ottawa to want to commit long term despite their generous contract offers

He WOULD like to preferably stay close to his close-to-ottawa home, and ottawa and toronto are out of the running and the next closest place is his childhood favorite team... that's possibly about to open the checkbooks..
8 million per year seems fairly low for a centre of Duchene's quality. He can likely sign in Nashville for that amount while being on a better team. Lower end teams can definitely offer more money. The odds seem stacked against us.

But like I said, if he is willing to, then it's an easy yes. Anyone saying no because of his attitude or because we have Poehling or Suzuki coming up are kidding themselves.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
For many professionals it's is more then about money. The last few millions don't change much in life. in today world climate, I would not be surprised if a Canadian player with a young family choses to live in Canada over the us for a couple of millions more.

Especially when his RFA contract paid him THAT much already

I completely agree, he just had a kid, its time to settle down, Radulov in 2016 style

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
For me it's pretty simple:

If he would get here because we make the biggest offer, the answer is no.
If he would sign here because he wants to be here, the answer is yes.

I don't really care about the money at 8M...if that's what he's worth on the open market, then fine, but i won't start a bidding war in order to add him

You can do lateral moves like Galchenyuk for Domi all we wants but in the end, it's a lateral move or if you prefer a very small improvement. But adding a player without dropping assets, it's a huge improvement.

Adding a player like him would have a trickle down effect that would give the Habs major pieces to trade away for other major pieces that we need.

Reactions: Redux91

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

it goes against the Habs philosophy. In order to finish 9th you'd need to dump a good player to bring him in

what, you wanna win or something?

Reactions: OnTheRun

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I can totally see why people would want to stay away, and its fair

Im just thinking why not take a stab at it, deal with repurcussions after

I mean who are we really "saving money" for at this point?? McDavid?? Price and Weber are paid.
Panarin fills a type of need sure, i just dont think he's angling towards a MTL destination, not like Duchene

People dont want a free 60-70 pt center who is also one of the best faceoff man in the league because of a leaked uber video that makes him look like a locker room cancer. Its not "fair" at all.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I know we always get those crazy ufa threads wth everybody hoping the prized star player would sign with us but things seems to be a bit different when it comes to Duchene.

Like mentionned earlier, he wants to live in the Ottawa area. His favorite team growing up was the Montreal Canadiens, he wears #9 in tribute to Maurice Richard. We have all the cap space in the world to meet his demands and his playing style fits our team.

Also let’s not forget that he also played with Weber and Price for Team Canada. :sarcasm:

For a lot of people who wanted to sign Tavares, Duchene isn’t much of a downgrade. When you get the chance to sign a player of his caliber you do it without hesitating.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I know we always get those crazy ufa threads wth everybody hoping the prized star player would sign with us but things seems to be a bit different when it comes to Duchene.

Like mentionned earlier, he wants to live in the Ottawa area. His favorite team growing up was the Montreal Canadiens, he wears #9 in tribute to Maurice Richard. We have all the cap space in the world to meet his demands and his playing style fits our team.

Also let’s not forget that he also played with Weber and Price for Team Canada. :sarcasm:

For a lot of people who wanted to sign Tavares, Duchene isn’t much of a downgrade. When you get the chance to sign a player of his caliber you do it without hesitating.

I dont think Duchene and Tavares are on the same tier (which is why he would be paid 3 M less), but I agree with the rest.

Even if Duchene was a bit of a locker room cancer, do people really think it would be a problem with our team considering the amount of leaders we have (Weber, Price, Gallagher, Byron, Petry, Shaw, Domi and Danault)?

The teams he played on preciously were teams without much leadership (ottawa, colorado)

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
OUI.jpg

Reactions: peate

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

yeah I'm not thinking about it until i hear the tinniest news in the off-season that Duchene may be interested in signing with us.

Either way, he's more of a complimentary piece like Drouin than a main piece. How are we going to get the main pieces is the question. I say sign as many vets as possible and try to trade them for 1st round picks. We missed out on Skinner last summer. I'd go after anyone that will sign with us (Duchene, Johansson, Nyqvist, Dzingle) and try to get good draft picks or left dmen if we end up with a surplus of forwards.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I don’t want him because I just don’t rate him that high. Seems to trade off just a couple of performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad