Speculation: Would you give Duchene 8M x 7 years in free agency?

Would you sign Duchene to a 7 year deal with an AAV of 8M?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Really MTL has never been a player in free agency and rarely even considered by the NHLs elite.

Id be looking at the Islanders UFAs. Jake Gardiner is interesting especially if you can pair him with Weber.

MTL needs a LD and size/scoring from the wing. The forward group need more dimensions to their game. You need more than just small and shifty

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Yes, despite what it may look like throughout his career that his teams "struggle", he remains one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and on THIS team, maybe he finally finds the place he's always been looking for, a fast, stable team

Personally, not to get everyone excited or anything, i think its a foregone conclusion
Too many things have been angling in this direction

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
In a second. This team has over 16M in cap space that will likely be nearly 20M with the cap increase and only has Lehkonen + a few depth plugs to sign this year and Domi the year after. I have absolutely no idea why "no" is leading this poll.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
In a second. This team has over 16M in cap space that will likely be nearly 20M with the cap increase and only has Lehkonen + a few depth plugs to sign this year and Domi the year after. I have absolutely no idea why "no" is leading this poll.
Just because you have cap space doesn’t mean you should waste it

Reactions: Miller Time

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
If we're breaking the bank on a UFA please let it be Panarin. Just as (un) likely as landing Duchene but far more appealing.

Does Duchene drive a team like a bona fide #1C or is he basically the equivalent of MaxPac at C?

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Duchene is a great player but I feel like he would stunt the growth of Kotkaniemi/Poehling/Suzuki. I’m not 100% sure that I would sign him. On top of that, he has massive attitude issues. The Uber video has to be something that MB factors in when looking at him. I’m leaning towards no but that’s me.

8x7 probably not.

6x7 yes

8.5x5 yes

9x5 probably, yes.

8x7 is just...a lot.

Bringing him in would also allow us to move one of Poehling or Suzuki for help in other areas (LD, scoring winger). Alternatively, it lets us shift Suzuki to a RW.

My hope this offseason is that we find a way to move on from Alzner, sign Duchene at 9x5/8x5 and Gardiner at 6x7 or 7x5. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Poehling+ for a top 6 winger with term either.

Reactions: Redux91

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
8M for one of the fastest players in the league who fills a decades long organizational hole and offers star power on a team with no legitimate star players isn't a waste. Especially when that leaves the team with nearly 10M of space with only one player of consequence (Domi) that needs a new contract.

What number would be acceptable and how many assets are you willing to trade to get a comparable player and save that marginal amount of money versus signing a UFA that just costs money? How many more years are we willing to kick the can down the road with 20 million in cap space while Price and Weber age into their 30s?

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

However, should we carry it forward for a third season in a row, assuming Duchene is the only UFA who is actually interested in signing with the Habs?

Suzuki projects as a winger anyway and it puts you in a position to trade some other asset for a LD.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Yes easily

I cant believe people say no considering the amount of cap space we have

I can totally see why people would want to stay away, and its fair

Im just thinking why not take a stab at it, deal with repurcussions after

I mean who are we really "saving money" for at this point?? McDavid?? Price and Weber are paid.
Panarin fills a type of need sure, i just dont think he's angling towards a MTL destination, not like Duchene

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
No, it doesn’t work like that.

If a team traded for his rights, they’d still have a 7 year maximum. CBJ are the only team that can offer 8.

It doesn't? Is it based on how many games the player played for a given team or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad