Would you forgive Bergevin if we got Lafreniere or a 1C?

Could you forgive Bergevin? Pick the one that would be sufficient in restoring your faith in him.

• I already like Bergevin (lol)

• Adding Lafreniere at any cost

• Adding Lafreniere without giving up on the aforementioned prospects

• Adding Barzal or PLD

• Adding both Lafreniere and one of Barzal/PLD

• Something else (comment?)

• Nothing, launch him into the sun.

Results are only viewable after voting.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Heres a thought. If Ottawa wins the draft with either pick, how much coin would Mol$on pay Melnyk to get Lafreniere?

Melnyk is the modern day Pocklington and I could definitely see them cash in along with Burger Van kicking in the first rounder.

I don’t believe cash transactions are allowed anymore under the collective bargaining agreement.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
But he didn't do that, just look at this poll, the vast majority wants him gone. Even analysts on Antichambre have been scratching their heads as to what is going on, they'll never say it but I'm sure they all think he should be fired. A lot of people are wondering how he still has a job after missing the POs 4/5 years. The focus is on him.
Unfortunately, the one guy in a position to fix this situation is just as much of an idiot so he just sticks with him.
He’s done it once already when he cleaned house a couple of years ago, that bought him more time and he will hold off doing it again as long as possible. 100% agree the guy to do it won’t cause he’s still making a shitload of cash and doesn’t have the same passion the fans have for a championship

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
The thing fans forgot is the bad team depth and prospect pool he start with. Other thing is that we manage to make the conference final 2 years later. I try to be objectif in my opinion of Bergevin and not fallow the bashing bandwagon who is the easy solution. He had make some incredible trade except for Drouin IMO. The thing is prospects still struggle to play for the habs but it's true 3 years in a row we had really low draft pick and lose some to immediate help for the playoff. I think we should let the end of the reset play out and see how prospects are performing. If nobody pay out in the defensive pool in Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris, Brook and Fleury, it's time to change the scouting and development department. The key is those young players play NHL and that's what he sell us with his new plan.

First of all, the jury is still out on how good that prospect pool is right now compared to 2013. I'm having more and more doubts. Secondly, the fault in that kind of thinking is that he is going to get brand new shiny prospects again this year, and the next.... and it will always be "oh, let's wait until that or that new guy is ready to finally judge MB" rinse and repeats, and let's miss the PO again and again, and then, Price is old, no more goaltenders because "they are not available!"

rinse and repeat....

Get him out on Planet Mars with the next rover please.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
The only way I can have my faith restored in Bergevin is if he actually builds a Stanley Cup contender in the time he has left (who knows how long that is with Molson around). Don't care who he brings in. In other words, very little chance my faith gets restored.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
HE is one of the reasons people don't want to sign in MOntreal. The Markov/Radulov/Loyal Dog fiasco was a huge thing amongst the ufa players on a go forward. On top of ALL the losing that has happened under his watch.

Winning..........cures everything.....MB doesn't know how to win, or build a winner. Riding a goalie is not a plan.

Bolded part. Why do people keep insinuating that MB called anyone a dog or anything of the like? I am not an MB supporter but be fair about it at least...he was pointing out that the player didn't owe the team anything and if you want/expect loyalty get a dog...Anyways, sorry about that..just bugs me for some reason. I will be ok...lol

Spacehabs

Mar 3, 2020
Can you list some of the ‘amazing trades’ he’s done? It’s been 8 years I’m not feeling the wow factor on many of his deals

Subban vs Weber (A)
Danault+2th vs Weise+Fleischmann (A+)
Pacioretty vs Tatar+Suzuki+2th (A)
Galchenyuk vs Domi (A+)

Find arround the league how many team made that much game changer trade.

For Timmins we need to remember that he made some really good choice too even if lost a lot of selection in the 2th round. We need to see about his last 3 drafts because they are really promising arround the league.
Gallagher 5th, Sergachev, McDonaugh, Pacioretty, Subban 2th, Emelin 3th, Streit 9th, Lehkonen 2th
Hudon 5th, Evans 7th, Vejdemo 3th, Mete 4th, Poehling, KK, Primeau 7th, Brook 2th, Ikonen 2th, Fleury 3th, Ylonen 2th, Romanov 2th, Harris 3th, Olofsson 2th, Caufield, Struble 2th, Norlinder 3th. We could have something special with that.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
forgive him what?

there are things I can forgive and there are things I can't.

Inexperience ? sure! Keeping Sly for so long? hard to get over.

I'm cool with him staying another year, but only because I believe in people too much. I believe they can adapt, change and become better versions of themselves. That sounds like a familiar story. The work I have done for myself is what I believe anyone could do. I would love to hate, I think I would be great, but unfortunately I believe in evolution.

Reactions: Hacketts

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Subban vs Weber (A)
Galchenyuk vs Domi (A+)

For Timmins we need to remember that he made some really good choice too even if lost a lot of selection in the 2th round. We need to see about his last 3 drafts because they are really promising arround the league.
Gallagher 5th, Sergachev, McDonaugh, Pacioretty, Subban 2th, Emelin 3th, Streit 9th, Lehkonen 2th
Hudon 5th, Evans 7th, Vejdemo 3th, Mete 4th, Poehling, KK, Primeau 7th, Brook 2th, Ikonen 2th, Fleury 3th, Ylonen 2th, Romanov 2th, Harris 3th, Olofsson 2th, Caufield, Struble 2th, Norlinder 3th. We could have something special with that.

I don’t find any of those to be spectacular trades id call the Galchenyuk for Domi trade the best

Not getting a bag of magic beans in return for Pacioretty doesn’t really knock my socks off. It’s a good return for the best scorer we’ve seen here in a long time

The draft players I don’t know well other than maybe Kotka and I know Romanov a bit from tournament play

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
forgive him what?

there are things I can forgive and there are things I can't.

Inexperience ? sure! Keeping Sly for so long? hard to get over.

I'm cool with him staying another year, but only because I believe in people too much. I believe they can adapt, change and become better versions of themselves. That sounds like a familiar story. The work I have done for myself is what I believe anyone could do. I would love to hate, I think I would be great, but unfortunately I believe in evolution.
Evolution? That more than likely suggests that it will take thousands of years, probably a lot more IMO, for one of MB’s defendants to evolve into a competent NHL GM!

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
No because he has no idea how to build a team. He’s just randomly adding pieces, there’s no structure or plan.
Exactly. Further, even if he's lucky enough to win the lottery and draft Laf (note the conjunction is necessary because I wouldn't put it passed this organization to win the lottery and pass on Laf), there is no guarantee that he or his cronies are anywhere near competent enough to develop Laf properly.

Montrealcowboys

Jan 7, 2020
Getting Laf would be pure luck so Bergevin would get no credit for that.

Getting PLD/Barzal would be amazing so I would give him credit if that happened. Doubt it happens though.

Just imagine getting both Laf and PLD though

Laf - Suzuki - Gally
Domi - Dubois - Drouin

IF Gallagher (a 3rd line talent for a championship aspiring team) is on your first line, you are in big trouble.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
What’s a “galactic escape velocity”?

The same idea as a rocket leaving earth you have to reach a speed that allows you to ‘escape’ the gravity of the planet. The escape velocity from Earth's surface is about 11.186 km/s

To go fast enough to completely be able to leave the Milky Way galaxy you have to go wayyy faster than the escape velocity to fire a rocket into space

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Exactly. Further, even if he's lucky enough to win the lottery and draft Laf (note the conjunction is necessary because I wouldn't put it passed this organization to win the lottery and pass on Laf), there is no guarantee that he or his cronies are anywhere near competent enough to develop Laf properly.
To be fair he probably doesn’t need development. For those players it’s in them already.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Subban vs Weber (A)
Galchenyuk vs Domi (A+)

game changer ? team is worse...

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I would only forgive him if he would build through the draft without adding 1st round picks while believing that the draft is mostly luck. Until then, forget it. :sarcasm:

There’s nothing he can do for me to be supportive of him.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Subban vs Weber (A)
Galchenyuk vs Domi (A+)

He’s done so many good things that he is setting records for seasons without playoff appearances. Most historic collapse in franchise history, 2 x 8 game losing streaks in the same season all while trying to be competitive. Your right, he’s a game changer, but not in a good way.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’d say if he has 4 x 8 game losing streaks each of the next 2 seasons then he might not be extended, but I wouldn’t bet any money on it.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Because the June 2020 Draft will be held in the cozy confines of Le Centre Bell, Bergey should get on his hands and knees before Geoff Molson and beg him to receive the authority to do whatever he must in order to obtain the No. 1 overall pick that is Alexis Lafreniere. Whether it will be the Red Wings, Kings, Sens, Ducks or the Sharks, Bergey should offer that team's GM a king's ransom (a Herschel Walker Vikings-Boyz blockbuster trade) and them some for Alexis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad