Would you forgive Bergevin if we got Lafreniere or a 1C?

Could you forgive Bergevin? Pick the one that would be sufficient in restoring your faith in him.

• I already like Bergevin (lol)

• Adding Lafreniere at any cost

• Adding Lafreniere without giving up on the aforementioned prospects

• Adding Barzal or PLD

• Adding both Lafreniere and one of Barzal/PLD

• Something else (comment?)

• Nothing, launch him into the sun.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
See: Title. Really curious to see how people on these boards (especially those who passionately hate Bergevin) feel.

If we somehow managed to get Lafreniere, and did not have to give up any of Suzuki, Caufield, Kotkaniemi or Romanov, would your stance on Bergevin change? - EDIT - TRADING UP, NOT WINNING THE LOTTERY.

If not, what if he added Barzal or PLD via offer-sheet?

What if he did both?

I have always been very critical of Bergevin; I think this past summer was the first time I was surprised by him - both that he had the balls to offer sheet Aho, but that he still managed to do nothing in a season where we desperately needed to improve.

He has made some great trades over the past few seasons; though his unwillingness to move players like Petry or Tatar has really left me puzzled. I think if he managed to get us Lafreniere or a PLD/Dubois + a top 8 pick that he should get a bit of a break. What about you?

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If he got Laf and Barkov or Huberdeau I would give him a leash extension. Florida doesn't like their core and Huberdeau is what Drouin was supposed to be. He's been at-odds with Q. Barkov I think would be off-limits even in a re-tool.

Reactions: Kimota

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
See: Title. Really curious to see how people on these boards (especially those who passionately hate Bergevin) feel.

If we somehow managed to get Lafreniere, and did not have to give up any of Suzuki, Caufield, Kotkaniemi or Romanov, would your stance on Bergevin change?

If not, what if he added Barzal or PLD via offer-sheet?

What if he did both?

I have always been very critical of Bergevin; I think this past summer was the first time I was surprised by him - both that he had the balls to offer sheet Aho, but that he still managed to do nothing in a season where we desperately needed to improve.

He has made some great trades over the past few seasons; though his unwillingness to move players like Petry or Tatar has really left me puzzled. I think if he managed to get us Lafreniere or a PLD/Dubois + a top 8 pick that he should get a bit of a break. What about you?
No because he has no idea how to build a team. He’s just randomly adding pieces, there’s no structure or plan.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Why would I (as a fan, nothing personal against Bergevin) forgive him for an event that he has absolutely no power over? It’s not like we’re intentionally tanking (management decision) to get Laf, so that’s not his strategy.

We are where we are for a bunch of reasons, but he’s a big part of it. We end up drafting #1, it is because of luck, and I mean a whole shitload of it since we’re not going to have top-3 odds, and not because of any foresight or planning.

I mean, I look at it this way. Say in baseball, you are batting #4 in the line up and you’ve struck out three times already as well as committing a number of errors that put your team behind.

Your team is down by two bottom of the 9th with two out and two on. The #3 batter hits a three win homer to win it. Should you be forgiven for your poor performance in the game otherwise?

Reactions: Habs13

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If he could get a legitimate top pairing LHD that would be a start without touching our key prospects. Laf/PLD/Barzal are all in the Stamkos/Tavares Make-A-Wish Foundation

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
I only hate berggy for trading subban. I think the state of this team is really good for the future. People seems to forget that this core is young. We don’t have a core full of gomez/gionta/cole/cammaleri/kostytin ...name it. We are building it the right way. Im happy that bergevin didnt sell our future for the past 2 years to get better right away. I don’t care if price and weber are declining.He changed his plan mid-route which is dumb and He should of been fired at the time. Not now that hes trying to build through draft picks without tanking. He isnt on the ice

It’s not his fault if Free agents doesn’t want to sign here

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Laf is different because it's a completely lucky addition because of lottery

Then again

MB said that a GMs job is all about luck so he would have mastered the art of manipulating Luck !
:sarcasm:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If he got a 1C through a trade, props, but winning a lottery isn't something he should be proud of

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Getting Laf would be pure luck so Bergevin would get no credit for that.

Getting PLD/Barzal would be amazing so I would give him credit if that happened. Doubt it happens though.

Just imagine getting both Laf and PLD though

Laf - Suzuki - Gally
Domi - Dubois - Drouin

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Let them eat cake
actually I am pretty stoked about having a top 10 pick in a good draft. Hoping to get into that top 3 with a little luck.
I prepared myself 3 months ago for not making the playoffs. Montreal is due some good luck for a change. If they get 2-3 OA, do they trade down & pick up some assets? but not for picks obviously, but if someone offers you a young dman, to drop down4-5 spots do you do it?

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
If he could get a legitimate top pairing LHD that would be a start without touching our key prospects. Laf/PLD/Barzal are all in the Stamkos/Tavares Make-A-Wish Foundation
Who cares about prospects that « could » become top players, if we can get the proven deal go for it.

We have nothing overly special so far, it would be good to stop holding onto players until they bust or turn out average and actually swap or package some to get proven talent for years to come (not washed up talent obviously).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

To enhance his chances of drafting the best prospects, he ought to consider replacing some of his current amateur scouts.

François Gagnon asked him about this on the TDL presser and Bergevin told him a flat no.

Reactions: Lshap and Edgy

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Reward him because he got awarded something for his failure? :laugh: If we somehow won the lottery and got a young center of that caliber, it should be even more incentive to clean house and start fresh.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Reactions: BLONG7

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Getting Lafreniere is all about lottery luck.

But an offer sheet that passed would be impressive.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I should clarify; I meant trading up for 1OA --- not winning the lottery.

Not sure if I'd forgive him regardless. I suppose it may take time, but just for a minute think about the ask for 1OA. At the minimum, it's got to cost us at least our first rounder, one (or two) of Romanov/Caufield (and if Montreal wants 1OA, I'd be asking for both), Suzuki (I wouldn't be asking for KK or Poehling as a second or third piece, so let's just forget that) and probably a warm body, like Lehkonen (no big loss IMO).

So, potentially we'd be giving up a pick and 3-4 pieces. Now, if it cost us a pick, ONE of Romanov or Caufield, and one of KK or Poehling and one of our 12 bottom-6 players, I'd do it. I would not give our two best prospects AND Suzuki who are players in areas we are already lacking; top-4 LHD, elite goal scoring and an elite center PLUS what is likely to be a decent 1st round pick. Of course, all three (Romanov, CC, Suzuki) plus the pick may not reach potential but let's just take our foot off the gas a bit on the Lafreniere hype train. I think he'll be a star, but he isn't McDavid.

End of the day, as good as Laf is, we will never be a great team until we fix our center position. Of course, I won't complain if we got him and we'll likely be a better team. I just think giving up too many key futures will hurt us more, unless we make drastic changes to the rest of the team. Problem is, we just moved our best trade pieces to get 1OA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad