OT: Would you follow Lacrosse if it received better coverage?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I remember watching it years ago in the early 00's when it was on TV, but then I could never find it. If it was on regularly I would definitely watch it again

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Lacrosse does not seem to grab my TV watching attention, despite being a general sports fan. I'm not sure why that is the case, but my guess is that it already has an analogue in hockey and overlaps with the NHL season. It's like NCAA/CFL versus NFL football, all of which are entertaining sporting events, but I find NFL is my preferred version to watch. My guess is that if I had played it as a kid or been involved with the sport in a way other than a spectator, I would be more interested.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
i wouldnt watch it.
that being said, if the league wants a tv deal they should realize they dont have any power to compete with other sports. take a page from Bettman with the OLN deal in the US when hockey ranked 12th in sports viewing popularity. get a good broadcaster who will invest in the programming...and let them have the profits of it. as long as that company invests in their programming (having knowledgable and well articulated presenters), has good access to viewers over multiple regions, and can become a go to source for any league action...the league itself would benefit. right now they should be willing to give FREE broadcast rights to a company like that.

they wont exist until that happens. kids are learning lacrosse now in schools (field mostly, as opposed to box) but i have nieces and nephews that hate the league games. if i got them tickets to the games now they would think they were being punished.

its simply not good product.

also i think HOCKEY is the very last sport that they should be trying to make some strange connection to. Hockey is a totally different game. comparing the two sports is rediculous, as i dont see any cross over other than the playing surface (for box lacrosse).
also field lacrosse might be more popular than box but that brings up all new video and broadcasting dynamics and challenges.

point is...i thinj hockey fans arent a great choice to pitch lacrosse to. whoever thought of that connection seems to have no knowledge of either sport. there is NO connection.

Last edited:

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
A couple things that could help lacrosse ratings IMO:

- shrink the goalies to make it look less absurd
- shrink the nets to force more drives to the net, minimizing perimeter play
- eliminate clutching/grabbing, especially on picks, opening up offense
- don't play music during the play... simple "De-fense" type basketball music only
- shorten the shot clock
- somehow eliminate platoon style line changes
- find a time of year that doesn't compete with hockey
- air on CBC and focus on cultural significance of sport

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
definitely would watch more. Went to a few games last year and this year, and loved it. Great sport.

In fact, I'm finding that I am watching other sports or leagues over the NHL these days. I was watching the WHL/OHL playoffs and Mem Cup over the SCP, same with the Men's World Championships. I am currently paying more attention to the NBA finals then the SCF. NFL > NHL in the first half of the season, too.

Its a good thing the Oil won the McD sweepstakes, because, otherwise, I might have been on my way out. NHL just isn't that good for entertainment anymore. Stars are neutralized most nights. Try watching the NBA, the stars play the almost whole game and there's almost no whistles.

Sometimes, i think i enjoy reading Oiler blogs and trolling these boards more than watching the NHL.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
A couple things that could help lacrosse ratings IMO:

- shrink the goalies to make it look less absurd
- shrink the nets to force more drives to the net, minimizing perimeter play
- eliminate clutching/grabbing, especially on picks, opening up offense
- don't play music during the play... simple "De-fense" type basketball music only
- shorten the shot clock
- somehow eliminate platoon style line changes
- find a time of year that doesn't compete with hockey
- air on CBC and focus on cultural significance of sport

that's an interesting one.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I actually wonder if the broadcasts had higher production values, it would get better traction.

Whenever I see it on TV, it looks 'cheap'. Like it was produced by a group of volunteer high school students.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
definitely would watch more. Went to a few games last year and this year, and loved it. Great sport.

In fact, I'm finding that I am watching other sports or leagues over the NHL these days. I was watching the WHL/OHL playoffs and Mem Cup over the SCP, same with the Men's World Championships. I am currently paying more attention to the NBA finals then the SCF. NFL > NHL in the first half of the season, too.

Its a good thing the Oil won the McD sweepstakes, because, otherwise, I might have been on my way out. NHL just isn't that good for entertainment anymore. Stars are neutralized most nights. Try watching the NBA, the stars play the almost whole game and there's almost no whistles.

Sometimes, i think i enjoy reading Oiler blogs and trolling these boards more than watching the NHL.

except when there's questionable fouls and 100 timeouts in the last 2 minutes of a game

NBA markets the stars cause they're on the floor for 42 minutes of 48

as for lacrosse, its a niche sport...didn't mind the game on TV but I doubt I'd go watch a game, fighting through that noise

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I try to avoid giving crap organizations like the Oilers any money (sadly they own the Oil Kings) so the Rush are definitely a high priority for me. Love the sport and love seeing guys from the local lacrosse scene making it.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I try to avoid giving crap organizations like the Oilers any money (sadly they own the Oil Kings) so the Rush are definitely a high priority for me. Love the sport and love seeing guys from the local lacrosse scene making it.

how do you feel about the "efforts" the owner has made to grow the game in the community? do you think he's done enough, or even done a good job with it?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
it's our national sport, and all. I like it.

Yeah, and CBC is obligated to air content that serves to preserve Canadian culture, as far as I can recall. I think they should, at the very least, air coverage of the Mann & Minto Cup tournaments every year. They are both during the hockey off-season, too.

Lacrosse is pretty broken though, at least in Western Canada. The WLA and BCJALL have all their teams stuck in disinterested lower mainland markets that are over-saturated with lacrosse, and generate no fan interest. And because the majority of teams sit in struggling financial positions, the league will never agree to relocate more widely across BC/AB/SK with higher travel costs but much better community support.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Every now and then I'll watch maybe ten minutes or so of a game so I don't mind it but it's not something I would likely watch an entire game.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I rather not suggest anymore programming for CBC especially something that is probably going to take 5-10 years to build. They are already a money pit.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I honestly think it should be part of the CBC's cultural mandate.

Not an unusual thought at all. CBC's top program in its advent, and has been for decades such things as HNIC.

Sports in general have made up a huge component in any success CBC had in the marketplace but especially the HNIC brand which is quintessential Canadiana.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah, and CBC is obligated to air content that serves to preserve Canadian culture, as far as I can recall. I think they should, at the very least, air coverage of the Mann & Minto Cup tournaments every year. They are both during the hockey off-season, too.

Lacrosse is pretty broken though, at least in Western Canada. The WLA and BCJALL have all their teams stuck in disinterested lower mainland markets that are over-saturated with lacrosse, and generate no fan interest. And because the majority of teams sit in struggling financial positions, the league will never agree to relocate more widely across BC/AB/SK with higher travel costs but much better community support.

Given the roots of Lacrosse in this country, and the CBC mandate, I entirely agree. Well stated. Even if not a Lacrosse I can accept the well presented argument that CBC should have had more to do with nurturing this sport.

Afairc either field lacrosse or box lacrosse of a type used to be on CBC but several decades ago either in late 60's or early 70's. I remember it because it was my first exposure to the sport. Pretty sure it was CBC.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
I cant stand how Gregor tries to shove the game down everybodys throats..

Also the Goalies look absolutely lame..seriously wtf?

Constant music is lame

Game tries to much to be like hockey

Players are amazing athletes and I actually think that the game would be a blast to play

A legit videogame company needs to make a game on the sport, when you understand the rules of the game and are more familiar with the teams rosters its amazing what affect that has on your GAS (give a ****) meter.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
TV is dying and will likely be dead the next decade when the 70+ year olds kick the bucket.

In 5-10 years, people will just subscribe to exactly what they want with streaming services like Netflix, PopcornTime, Hulu, or HBO.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
I went to Game2 of the NLL Finals here in Edmonton this past Friday and had a blast (First time i've seen a a pro Edmonton sports team win a Championship live!)

The game was alot of fun to watch. The two teams were both fantastic and evenly matched. Tons of breakaways, nice saves, lots of hits and physical play (lots of boarding tho :shakehead) Lots of goals, the guys play hard and take alot of abuse crashing the net etc.

Seeing Mark Matthews score the 5-4 lead goal with .1 seconds left in the first half was awesome (dude had 5 goals) and the roof nearly blew off when they scored the 11-10 Cup winning goal with a minute left. Very entertaining night overall IMO.

My only complaint was the announcer dude talks a little too much.

I guess i'm in the Minority here but I hope the Rush stick around and will definitely be checking out more games next season if they do :handclap: :thumbu: GO RUSH

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So the poll has pretty much run its course and even among a polling of ardent sports fans a clear 70% of respondents indicated they would rarely if ever watch.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
My interest would likely be around the same as how I feel about the Oil Kings, I would likely watch when they are on TV and might go to a game or 2, which is infinitely higher than my current interest in the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad