OT: Would you follow Lacrosse if it received better coverage?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I was curious if most Oiler fans would find Lacrosse more appealing if it was easier to follow. I know for myself i'd like to follow the Rush but the lack of coverage the NLL receives means i always forget about them. If TSN started doing the highlights and brodcasting all/the majority of the games of at least the Canadian teams do you think you'd follow the Rush more closely? I know i would, the talent is outstanding and the league is highly competitive.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I said no because I don't find the game interesting at all. I'd rather watch darts.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I tried to watch some yesterday but couldn't get into it. It was like watching a basketball game for me, too much scoring and I kendw none of the rules.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not at all. Wouldn't watch. Also I'm old enough to remember times where Lacrosse did get some ample coverage and even back in the 3 channel universe. I've tried watching it several times. No appeal at all. Don't like the flow of the sport, that I've compared to shot clock stop and go basketball. lacrosse also a lot in common flow wise with Waterpolo. Really all the sports involve a whole lot of throwing the ball around the periphery. Although in defense of Basketball at least brilliant, absolutely stunning plays are made. With such depth and intricate precision and passing plays that anybody can appreciate the top notch skill involved.

But I generally dislike any team sport where the basis of play is one team gets the ball for a long time followed by the other team getting the ball for a longtime.

I love Hockey and Soccer because turnovers are often forced and the games are truly counterstrike oriented.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Not going to slap it in the face with the second tier sport vote, but I'd have no interest in watching. I do enjoy looking at their massive goalies though.

mike_miron_head.jpg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think what doesn't resonate with me about Lacrosse is the presentation.
It seems as if they are trying to present the game with this never ending high level of energy.
In reality what happens is that its just a lot of noise layered over top of a game that leaves me wondering if Lacrosse could stand on its own merits.

Why the endless noise while the game is going on? Is the game itself not able to create its own level of interest? Are they trying too hard to market this game specifically to teenagers and pre teens?

Why not let the game itself dictate the highs and lows instead of trying to force this artificially induced (phony) energy level.
They might actually be perceived as being more legit and have a have a better opportunity at acquiring a more varied audience.

My 2 cents.

Oh...one last note. Another thing that doesnt help the TV coverage is that Gregor does a terrible job at play by play. Terrible.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Tough to say I watched years ago when the Rock were on TSN and I didn't mind it, but people complain about hockey going so late and I think I'd have the same feeling about lacrosse.

I also don't think the prices are cheap enough. They just don't seem to do enough promotions themselves to gain new fans. With the soccer team here, there are free or dirt cheap tickets all the time.

Seems quite bad that if it weren't for Gregor the sport would have very little coverage. He really goes out of his way on his shows to make sure people know about the Rush, you'd think Urban would try do more himself with local media. Then again he seems to be more and more of ***** the more I read about him.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Tough to say I watched years ago when the Rock were on TSN and I didn't mind it, but people complain about hockey going so late and I think I'd have the same feeling about lacrosse.

I also don't think the prices are cheap enough. They just don't seem to do enough promotions themselves to gain new fans. With the soccer team here, there are free or dirt cheap tickets all the time.

Seems quite bad that if it weren't for Gregor the sport would have very little coverage. He really goes out of his way on his shows to make sure people know about the Rush, you'd think Urban would try do more himself with local media. Then again he seems to be more and more of ***** the more I read about him.

trying to think of anything urban did to bring more people to games.

I believe one time be brought in GSP from UFC.
I think another time he brought in a dallas cowboy cheerleader, didn't he?

but that's about all I can remember. did he ever have the team do anything to engage people in the community to build up goodwill and support? did he ever work on partnerships that were more than people just giving him money? offer clinics maybe to introduce the sport to young people? If he did, I never heard about them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So excluding the poster who started this poll (who probably shouldn't vote for sake of accuracy if one is seeking others opinions, just saying) and it looks like just over 10% would watch lacrosse regularly. This being the opinion of a group of diehard sports fans posting still on an Oilers board months after our season has ended.

2/3 of fanatical sports fans respondents polled would rarely if ever watch Lacrosse televised on TV.

I would say the answer is there.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
So excluding the poster who started this poll (who probably shouldn't vote for sake of accuracy if one is seeking others opinions, just saying) and it looks like just over 10% would watch lacrosse regularly. This being the opinion of a group of diehard sports fans posting still on an Oilers board months after our season has ended.

2/3 of fanatical sports fans respondents polled would rarely if ever watch Lacrosse televised on TV.

I would say the answer is there.

I'm seeking all opinions, and mine happens to be one. That's one of the more ridiculous things i've ever had to respond to. Congrats.

I really don't think the poll looks that bad, i think there's room for growth there. Only 16 of 50 stated they had no interest, 16 said they'd be active fans. That's an even split. The 4th and 5th options are potential fans despite the fact they can't envision it currently, so even if regular broadcasting only picks up 25% of that group we're talking about a 40% retention rate which is pretty awesome IMO. Even if it's just the 32% the poll indicates are highly likely that's actually a ton of people when you consider just how many people watch hockey in this country. None of this accounts for the possibility that other sport fans could become interested, you yourself said basketball fans may be even more interested (i doubt it but it's your own logic). Lacrosse isn't going to be massive but there's no reason it can't be in a nice middle ground between the CFL and the CHL in terms of popularity.

One thing to consider is Lacrosse is a lot more popular in Ontario, and it's also doing fine in Calgary from a box office perspective. There's grounds to think there's a market there. The Rush in Edmonton have always seemed to have gotten the shaft from the Oilers. Also if i were you i wouldn't jump to conclusions after 50 votes.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I never really paid much attention to FIFA till someone showed me some highlights of Messi.

Wasn't much of a skateboarding fan till I saw Tony Hawk land the 900, and Rodney Mullen pull off some Cirque du Soleil stuff on a board.

Took Sakuraba taking out Royce Gracie to gain interest in MMA (then rode the wave of Wanderlei Silva destroying Pride).

I saw Jordan play live, and thought he looked like CG.

I lived in LA when Ovechkin broke into the league, and I showed some co-workers (non-fans) Ovechkin scoring 'The Goal' on his back. Since then they followed Ovechkin, and then started following hockey a bit more warmly.

Then they became 'fans' when their team won those 2 cups.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm seeking all opinions, and mine happens to be one. That's one of the more ridiculous things i've ever had to respond to. Congrats
Sigh. Its a minor point. You were seeking others opinions, you already knew your own. You're one of what 6 (2.5% points) of people that indicated they would watch Lacrosse regularly. So without you merely 10%. That's fact. 5 other posters stated they would watch regularly. That's it.

I really don't think the poll looks that bad, i think there's room for growth there. Only 16 of 50 stated they had no interest, 16 said they'd be active fans. That's an even split. The 4th and 5th options are potential fans despite the fact they can't envision it currently, so even if regular broadcasting only picks up 25% of that group we're talking about a 40% retention rate which is pretty awesome IMO. Even if it's just the 32% the poll indicates are highly likely that's actually a ton of people when you consider just how many people watch hockey in this country. None of this accounts for the possibility that other sport fans could become interested, you yourself said basketball fans may be even more interested (i doubt it but it's your own logic). Lacrosse isn't going to be massive but there's no reason it can't be in a nice middle ground between the CFL and the CHL in terms of popularity
. A full 30 respondents, 2/3, stated they would rarely if ever watch. Not sure why you are slicing the poll differently since you created it and got the answers that don't support your assertion that people would watch. lol that you suggest that the 4th and 5th options are potential fans. Sorry but that's an incredulous take on the poll you set up. Really one has to ask what numbers would refute your assertion in your opinion. Because its becoming obvious you would filter the poll to fit your assertion regardless of what respondents are stating. That's confirmation bias at work btw.

One thing to consider is Lacrosse is a lot more popular in Ontario, and it's also doing fine in Calgary from a box office perspective. There's grounds to think there's a market there. The Rush in Edmonton have always seemed to have gotten the shaft from the Oilers. Also if i were you i wouldn't jump to conclusions after 50 votes.
Already mentioned several times that Lacrosse support is had in pockets of Ontario, BC, and Calgary. That's about it. Theres about 6 healthy teams in the NLL and usually around 20something floundering. In a league that boasts countless failed markets of which this is likely to be another one. Oh, and the NLL failed in Lower Mainland as well. So even that market showed dismal support.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Take my opinion with a huge grain of salt.

I saw the growth of the E-Sports DOTA 2 come out of nowhere.

What they did 3 years ago, was kick it off an international tournament with a $1.2million prize pool. (A Hefty investment to GROW The sport).

That number for the 2015 Tournament is $12million and likely to exceed $14million.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dota-2-International-2015-Has-Record-Breaking-Prize-Pool-72318.html

Along the way, there were Sundance Award winning film makers making a documentary following a couple of underdogs, contenders, and Champions, and their personal history to grow them as icons of the e-sport.

(High profile players are now dating runway models, and musicians/actors in asia).

ESPN aired the Last 'International' Tournament:
http://www.dailydot.com/esports/espn-dota-2-the-international/

And is looking to expand upon this.

The E-Sports athletes have signed sponsorship deals with various hardware manufacturers.

Say what you want about how silly a video-game is, but if you want to grow the sports, you need to sell compelling story about individuals. Market the game of Lacrosse like a product, and get more people playing so they can appreciate it being played at a high level.

Last edited:

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
It doesn't appeal to me. I actually watched about the last 20 mins of the final game the other night and other than the novelty of Edmonton winning a championship, the game itself wasn't that interesting. It feels too much like basketball, which I also don't like watching.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I guess my question is how come TSN or Sportsnet isn't showing more in the first place? Even Shaw showed WHL games. I just don't know that the Canadian teams are really doing enough to grow the sport because clearly there is no reason why ever Canadian game isn't being broadcasted. At the very least the home games where TSN/Sportsnet crews are already.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No interest whatsoever. It just doesn't appeal to me. Even if it did, between hockey, soccer, and the odd football/baseball game, I just don't have time for it

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think what doesn't resonate with me about Lacrosse is the presentation.
It seems as if they are trying to present the game with this never ending high level of energy.
In reality what happens is that its just a lot of noise layered over top of a game that leaves me wondering if Lacrosse could stand on its own merits.

Why the endless noise while the game is going on? Is the game itself not able to create its own level of interest? Are they trying too hard to market this game specifically to teenagers and pre teens?

Why not let the game itself dictate the highs and lows instead of trying to force this artificially induced (phony) energy level.
They might actually be perceived as being more legit and have a have a better opportunity at acquiring a more varied audience.

My 2 cents.

Oh...one last note. Another thing that doesnt help the TV coverage is that Gregor does a terrible job at play by play. Terrible.
I think you're bang on with this assessment. It's the noise during the game that makes it unappealing to me. I find it too much of a distraction to try and pay attention to the play. I'm not thrilled with the noise that's crept into the NBA game over the last twenty years but at least that's a sport I played extensively in my youth and I inderstand it. I have no background in lacrosse and the way the game is presented makes it difficult for me to figure out what the players are trying to accomplish.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Take my opinion with a huge grain of salt.

I saw the growth of the E-Sports DOTA 2 come out of nowhere.

What they did 3 years ago, was kick it off an international tournament with a $1.2million prize pool. (A Hefty investment to GROW The sport).

That number for the 2015 Tournament is $12million and likely to exceed $14million.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dota-2-International-2015-Has-Record-Breaking-Prize-Pool-72318.html

Along the way, there were Sundance Award winning film makers making a documentary following a couple of underdogs, contenders, and Champions, and their personal history to grow them as icons of the e-sport.

(High profile players are now dating runway models, and musicians/actors in asia).

ESPN aired the Last 'International' Tournament:
http://www.dailydot.com/esports/espn-dota-2-the-international/

And is looking to expand upon this.

The E-Sports athletes have signed sponsorship deals with various hardware manufacturers.

Say what you want about how silly a video-game is, but if you want to grow the sports, you need to sell compelling story about individuals. Market the game of Lacrosse like a product, and get more people playing so they can appreciate it being played at a high level.
Fascinating stuff. I never even knew this was a thing until I noticed it offered for betting on the front page of Bodog recently. Looked it up out of curiosity. What a strange world we live in now.:laugh:

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
ZERO interest for me. Watched some in the past but can't get in to it. The constant noise of the music makes it seem bush league and is distracting.

Many many other sports that I'd watch before Lacrosse. However, I would watch it before I'd watch a fishing show though. :D

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think you're bang on with this assessment. It's the noise during the game that makes it unappealing to me. I find it too much of a distraction to try and pay attention to the play. I'm not thrilled with the noise that's crept into the NBA game over the last twenty years but at least that's a sport I played extensively in my youth and I inderstand it. I have no background in lacrosse and the way the game is presented makes it difficult for me to figure out what the players are trying to accomplish.

Indeed.
Regarding the NBA...the difference as I see it is that the music they play invites crowd participation in cheering on the home team.

In Lacrosse its just noise for the sake of noise that has no connection what so ever to crowd participation. In my mind it isn't inviting anything but mild irritation and an unwanted distraction from the game itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad