Would you consider the San Jose Sharks a successful franchise?

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
Yes. They have been one of the most successful franchises in every aspect but cup wins since their inception. And, measuring success by cup wins alone is absolutely indefensible due to the objective unreliability of the playoffs in having the best teams win the cup, in that its a total crapshoot and the Sharks pretty much are just unlucky.

Reactions: Patty Ice

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
nah
over half the teams in the league make the playoffs every year, that's not really success imo

Reactions: Voight

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Have they really? I can't say they've had the best team or even the second best in any single season.

And in how many years has the best or second best team in any single season won the cup?

At least half the time since the 05 lockout

I'm not seeing this, unless you are talking about first or second best in the conference vs. first or second best overall.

The best or second best team by season record has won the Cup only three times in the fourteen seasons since the lockout. The 2008 Red Wings and 2013 Hawks were the best overall teams while the 2017 Pens finished with the second-best record.

You get to 7 out of 14 times if you lower the bar to first or second best team in their respective conference, adding 2006 Canes, 2007 Ducks, 2010 Hawks, and 2016 Pens to the above. Those teams were either the third best or tied for it, or fourth best (2016 Pens) overall.

Reactions: themelkman

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Are they a successful franchise? Absolutely, not sure that can be questioned. They moved into a non-traditional market, built a very strong fan base, put a competitive product on the ice year in year out, involved in the community, no danger of relocation, etc.

Are they a successful hockey team? I'd say no, since the goal is to win the cup and they haven't done it... yet.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'm not seeing this, unless you are talking about first or second best in the conference vs. first or second best overall.

The best or second best team by season record has won the Cup only three times in the fourteen seasons since the lockout. The 2008 Red Wings and 2013 Hawks were the best overall teams while the 2017 Pens finished with the second-best record.

You get to 7 out of 14 times if you lower the bar to first or second best team in their respective conference, adding 2006 Canes, 2007 Ducks, 2010 Hawks, and 2016 Pens to the above. Those teams were either the third best or tied for it, or fourth best (2016 Pens) overall.
Crazy how people can watch TB get outplayed in 4 straight playoff games and think the regular season is the best standard to judge teams by.

Reactions: Voight

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Crazy how people can watch TB get outplayed in 4 straight playoff games and think the regular season is the best standard to judge teams by.

So 4 strait games playing one team is a better indicator of how good a team is than 82 games against every team in the league? 4 games in a short times span seems like a small sample size to me.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Who they are: Small market, non-traditional hockey market, expansion team, never had a 1OA pick.

Their result: A kajillion playoff runs in a row (success on ice), star players galore (success in building roster/system) plus plenty of sellout home games every year (success in establishing popularity locally).

Conclusion: They are not a successful team. They are a VERY successful team.
This. It’s not like they were always eliminated by shitty teams either: 2004 Flames, 2006 Oilers, 2007 Red Wings, 2010 Blackhawks, 2011 Canucks, 2012 Kings, 2014 Kings, 2016 Penguins, 2018 Golden Knights, 2019 Blues. Only team that didn’t either win the Cup or make the SCF was the ‘07 Red Wings who were not exactly crap at the time lol.

And FFS when they finally made the SCF they were greeted by that absurd ‘16 Penguins team. That was one of the most unstoppable teams I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:

Zeke and luther

Aug 14, 2019
No. They've been annual playoff disappointments for years and have nothing to show for it. More likely than not, it will continue to be that way.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
So 4 strait games playing one team is a better indicator of how good a team is than 82 games against every team in the league? 4 games in a short times span seems like a small sample size to me.
It doesn't matter how large the sample size is when the data isn't relevant, or in this case, only partially so. The regular season is different than the playoffs.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
So which teams are successful teams? please list them, don't just post some vague definition

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad