Would you consider the San Jose Sharks a successful franchise?

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Their regular season record in the last 20 years is unmatched. They have scored more, won more, and made the playoffs more than any other franchise, yet they can't get anything done in the post season. I always thought of them as a respectable franchise but I just watched this video and it puts everything in a different light.

What do you think?

Reactions: tobo

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Without getting it done in the Cup finals, all the regular season success means a lot less. Obviously they still have a strong fanbase, so they are successful from that standpoint as there is always lot of fans at their games, so they aren't struggling by any means.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Their regular season record in the last 20 years is unmatched. They have scored more, won more, and made the playoffs more than any other franchise, yet they can't get anything done in the post season. I always thought of them as a respectable franchise but I just watched this video and it puts everything in a different light.

What do you think?

They have the 2nd most playoff wins over the last 20 years.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
cropped_DougWilsonCantWatch.gif

Is this the look of a man who has been successful?

But seriously, 78% of the time in franchise history they've made the playoffs. They've made at least the 3rd round five times, just under 19%, so almost once every five years on average. The NHL is not an easy league. To win it all, you need multiple things going your way, all at the same time. There's something to be said about coming back year, after year, after year, disappointment, after disappointment, after disappointment, after disappointment, after disappointment. I watched the Kings quit from day 1 of training camp last year, and that was with 10 guys that had won the Cup for the franchise. Experience is supposed to count for something, and it meant nothing in that case. Nobody ever gets old in SJ either. It's ridiculous. They've played in a 30+ team league for 66% of their existence, and they've missed the playoffs twice in that time. The years after missing the playoffs, they went to the 3rd round, and the Final. That's bouncing back. The playoff failure is very fun, but you have to call them a successful franchise.

Unless the standard is Cup or nothing. If that's the standard, then the 5th best player in the league might as well retire today, because he's not going to win the Hart. No real chance of winning it either, and it's all or nothing.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
If there's ever been a time for winning your first Cup, it's now. The 00s were a time of young franchises getting their first (27, 12 and 14 years old), the 10s were for older franchises (45, 44 and 52 years old). The Sharks are older now than Hartford/Carolina was when they won.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
And still, they don't have anything to show for.

They literally can't get it done.

Well, that is a miserable way to measure success. You HAVE to win a Cup to hold your head high? No, BS. My team has won a Cup and if I could, I would absolutely trade that Cup and all the years they missed the playoffs and floundered around for a team that consistently wins in the regular season and consistently has meaningful playoff runs.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
They've been a pretty successful franchise for their entire existence, minus winning a Cup, which is extremely difficult to win.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
In terms of being consistent in making the playoffs (and being a strong team) and not having terrible regular seasons, yeah, because you're doing something right when you make the playoffs more often then not in your franchises' history.

Winning a Cup is difficult (ask the Capitals), so if you're holding them to that then go ahead, they haven't been able to accomplish what they (along with every other team) have set out to do.

However they certainly have been a successful franchise, how successful is up for interpretation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad