Would you consider the San Jose Sharks a successful franchise?

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
All it takes is winning once and it goes away for the most part. I remember all the hilarious ways the caps snatched defeat from the jaws of victory but the 1 win is better

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The ultimate goal of any franchise is to win the championship.

Doesn't matter if it happened 15 years ago or 65. A championship is the goal. History doesn't care about second place.

End of story.

Great, doesn't relate directly to the question at hand.

If you think achieving your goal is the only marker if success, idk what to tell you. Enjoy a disappointing future

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What are you, my dad?

You know what would be wise? To not post 57 000 posts on an internet forum. :laugh:

I'm no one's dad but that doesn't mean I can't make points in a discussion. Sorry if that irks you for some childish reason. 57,000 posts on an internet forum over 13 years as if that's wrong for some reason is really only a reflection of you and your poor arguing skills.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Great, doesn't relate directly to the question at hand.

If you think achieving your goal is the only marker if success, idk what to tell you. Enjoy a disappointing future
And enjoy not being driven to succeed in everything that you do. I've done quite well, but thanks for the "advice". Good luck being successful when others are champions.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
From a hockey sense, no. It doesn't matter if you don't win the Cup.

From a financial standpoint, absolutely.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
On a side note... this idea might get laughed at but I've wondered in the NHL should shorten the regular season and introduce some in-season mini-tournaments with trophies to be won similar to European soccer with Domestic and European cups in addition to the league... at first fans would consider these secondary trophies meaningless but over time they might take on some tradition...

I’m not a fan of Soccer, but I think a mid season tournament would be incredibly exciting! I outlined something that I think would be a real event to replace the all star break here: What about a five-game autumn- cup?

I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Of course the Sharks are a successful franchise.
They have been filling their arena over 95% for years and they are a very good committed fan base and this is coming from a fan of their biggest rival.
They have all 4 major sports in their area with some very historical and successful teams and they have carved their niche

Ignore the haters Shark fans. You are legit.

I look forward to our franchises' next dance off

tenor.gif

Reactions: Iron Mosher

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The ultimate goal of any franchise is to win the championship.

Doesn't matter if it happened 15 years ago or 65. A championship is the goal. History doesn't care about second place.

End of story.
So using your argument, The Leafs are an unsuccesful franchise since 1967?
I guess that we should totally ignore that they make the league the most money and are the hardest tickets to get in the league and the decades of sellouts?

Not winning a cup doesn't make a franchise a failure or not successful

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
San Jose and Nashville are the blueprint as far as building consistent contenders but at the same time, neither has won anything. I guess it depends on what you define as "success". The Sharks have drafted well, traded well and are well managed but still haven't won. Its baffling TBH. They've had teams good enough to win the cup for a long time. Parity is real in the NHL.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Only 13 teams have won a cup in the last 20 years. Does that mean the other 18 teams in the league are unsuccessful? A cup is the ultimate barometer of success, but it's not the ONLY barometer of success.

Yes.

The point of any competition is to win. No one dreams of a silver medal.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yes, absolutely. The Sharks are a model franchise and have been for nearly 20 years. If the Leafs don’t win, I’ll always cheer for the Sharks. They have done everything the right way and are always contenders.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Yes.

The point of any competition is to win. No one dreams of a silver medal.
Some of The most Lucrative franchises in the league haven’t won a cup or haven’t won in many years. Teams like Philly and Toronto haven’t won in 30+ years. The Rangers and Montreal haven’t in 20+, while Vancouver hasn’t won anything. Your going to say the teams these teams aren’t success despite the numbers and revenue clearly showing otherwise?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
They are successful at building a playoff contender year in and year out.

They aren’t successful at the ultimate goal of winning a Stanley Cup.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What is the definition of success? The Islanders won 4 Cups but don't have a home and might move. Is that successful? The Sharks are a healthy franchise and have been stable for a lenthy period of time. They are competitive. I would think that means they are successful.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
A championship is nice but having a growing net worth and positive Ballance sheet is the actual sign of a successful franchise. We forget they are business enterprises

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Of course the Sharks are a successful franchise.
They have been filling their arena over 95% for years and they are a very good committed fan base and this is coming from a fan of their biggest rival.
They have all 4 major sports in their area with some very historical and successful teams and they have carved their niche

Ignore the haters Shark fans. You are legit.

I look forward to our franchises' next dance off

tenor.gif

'Sometimes Lt. Dan would tell us to shut up and get down.'

*excellent use of the Carlton btw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad