Proposal: Would you consider Mantha for Parayko?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I’m not necessarily advocating for trading Mantha. I actually think the kid is the most intriguing player on the roster, and will be a good to very good player. But Detroit seems to continue to find lots of forwards in the draft, and now that the off season shifts to finding creative ways to help the team via trade or free agency, then you have to give to get, and I think this is at least worth a discussion.

The Blues have been trying to shake things up for awhile now, having sold Stastny at the deadline, and more recently, been disheartened by not getting Tavares to take their calls. And as much as I don’t know why they would deal Parayko, some articles are starting to surface that indicate they’d at least listen for any amazing offers.

It would essentially require a sign and trade with Mantha, who is an RFA. I believe the latest talk was a 2-3 year bridge deal in the $3-4M AAV range. I don’t know if St. Louis would like him more or less on a longer term contract, or just prefer the bridge deal. But here are the player details for consideration:

Mantha (23 years old) is a 6’5” powerful forward with a good scoring touch, and seems to be finding his game with a renewed dedication to work ethic, even adding more physicality to his on-ice presence:

Anthony Mantha Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Parayko (25 years old) is a 6’6” all-around defenseman, who has scored over 30 points in each of his 3 NHL seasons. He can hit, he can block shots, and he puts in 20 minutes a game:

Colton Parayko Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Additionally, he has 4 years left on his contract, with a cap hit of $5.5 million, which seems extremely reasonable, given the current market.

So again, I’d hate to lose Mantha, but young quality defensemen the size of a skyscraper don’t exactly grow on trees, and it might be a chance to make a big move that’s a win-win for both teams. I just don’t know if an even-up swap would work, or if Detroit would have to sweeten the deal. (It sounds like the Blues want NHL players, and not more prospects.)

Thoughts?

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
No. If they want to move Parayko they can choose from AA/nyq/svech not the guy who is already our leading scorer and more than likely will be a perennial contender for 30 plus goals a season.

Reactions: Hillbillywingsfan

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
If I'm trading a winger it's not mantha.

Its aa or nyquist with a possibility of svechnikov depending on the player acquired.

Reactions: shanman

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I love Mantha, but the belief that taking Mantha off the table and suggesting that any combination of Nyquist/Svechnikov/Athanasiou (all of which have significantly lower ceilings than Mantha) would be a starting point for Parayko at this point is beyond asinine.

Parayko is on a sweetheart contract, with term, still entering his prime, playing one of the premier positions of need in hockey, and has a higher ceiling than anyone in this organization (not including Zadina, who we still have to allow time to dictate what his ceiling is). Would I consider trading Mantha? Sure, but I also know the actual price will likely be so high that it would hurt more than it would help.

Reactions: avssuc and cjm502

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If I'm trading a winger it's not mantha.

Its aa or nyquist with a possibility of svechnikov depending on the player acquired.

Have fun getting a mediocre defenseman, then. You have to give up something you don't want to if you want to get a good player back.

Reactions: avssuc and cjm502

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd rather keep Mantha I think

but i'd at least think about it and i'm not nearly as high on Parayko as a lot of people are

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I love Mantha, but the belief that taking Mantha off the table and suggesting that any combination of Nyquist/Svechnikov/Athanasiou (all of which have significantly lower ceilings than Mantha) would be a starting point for Parayko at this point is beyond asinine.

Parayko is on a sweetheart contract, with term, still entering his prime, playing one of the premier positions of need in hockey, and has a higher ceiling than anyone in this organization (not including Zadina, who we still have to allow time to dictate what his ceiling is). Would I consider trading Mantha? Sure, but I also know the actual price will likely be so high that it would hurt more than it would help.
all i know is im not interested in being the next hall for larsson trade that people laugh at. Parayko may be better than larsson, but im not trading away our best scorer who also happens to be 23 and could/should be a perennial 30 goal scorer and could be a 60 plus point a season player. Obviously im going to be higher on mantha as a wings player but he hit 24 goals and 24 assists with a pathetic overall wings offense, and hall was generally around that 27 goals mark with around 30 plus assists before he was moved. Plus i feel like we really didn't even use Mantha to the best of his ability, and think he has nowhere to go but up.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I’m guessing you mean we have to add to this. But yes, I’d do mantha and svech/aa/nyquist

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
all i know is im not interested in being the next hall for larsson trade that people laugh at. Parayko may be better than larsson, but im not trading away our best scorer who also happens to be 23 and could/should be a perennial 30 goal scorer and could be a 60 plus point a season player.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong for not wanting to trade Mantha. I would rather not trade him either; I think he is #2 in the organization as far as potential to becoming a star (behind Zadina).

But if you are taking Mantha off the table (assuming that Larkin and Zadina are untouchable), then what you should be saying is "I'm not interested in acquiring Parayko at the cost" not suggesting we could find a way with our lesser pieces.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Have fun getting a mediocre defenseman, then. You have to give up something you don't want to if you want to get a good player back.
not necessarily. You just have to target players who you think will become that good player before they are obviously the good player. Just go and look at all the top dmen currently in the league and see when they were either drafted or traded for.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not telling you that you're wrong for not wanting to trade Mantha. I would rather not trade him either; I think he is #2 in the organization as far as potential to becoming a star (behind Zadina).

But if you are taking Mantha off the table (assuming that Larkin and Zadina are untouchable), then what you should be saying is "I'm not interested in acquiring Parayko at the cost" not suggesting we could find a way with our lesser pieces.
fine with me. Not really a fan of parayko as the go all in for guy anyways. So yeah scratch me out of it then.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
not necessarily. You just have to target players who you think will become that good player before they are obviously the good player. Just go and look at all the top dmen currently in the league and see when they were either drafted or traded for.

I agree, but this is a thread talking about trading for Parayko.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Yes.

Even if Hronek and Cholowski hit their absolute ceilings, we will still need more help on the blueline...and I am pretty pessimistic on that happening based on our last 20 years of drafting defenseman.

Mantha still seems like he's developing and he still has sky-high potential so we might end up losing the trade, but I'd be willing to add some in order to get that defenseman...maybe also throw in Svech or a 2nd round pick

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
ha good point.

It's a good/more realistic avenue to explore, to be honest. Mostly because I don't think Holland has the stomach to do a Mantha + for Parayko type deal. I think trading for a guy like Valimaki, Timmins, Fabbro, etc. would be more "doable" for us, to your point. Might be able to get one of those teams to part with a quality D prospect who already have a good NHL blue line.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Parayko is too soft for a big man in my book. His PIM totals reflect a Lady Byng candidate more than a 6'6 guy. I'm not saying he has to be Marty McSorley tough, but he had 13 PIM in 82 games last year. Also, his offensive numbers aren't that impressive for guy who has a rocket from the point. 10 total goals in the last two seasons, despite playing 82 games last year and 81 games the year before. This guy couldn't hit water from a boat from the point. He just shoots hard. Not accurate.

I don't want the Wings making that trade.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
It's a good/more realistic avenue to explore, to be honest. Mostly because I don't think Holland has the stomach to do a Mantha + for Parayko type deal. I think trading for a guy like Valimaki, Timmins, Fabbro, etc. would be more "doable" for us, to your point. Might be able to get one of those teams to part with a quality D prospect who already have a good NHL blue line.
also something to think about is that if we are doing a rebuild, although i don't think it will be 5-6 years, it will be at a couple or so imo-this allows us the time to go after the guys who will take a couple years perhaps to start hitting their stride vs there already guys like paryko.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Easily, all day.

I love Mantha but at the end of the day I think the hometown and youth biases make people lose sight of the fact that he’s at best a James Neal/JVR type - a great player but not one teams seem to be bothered moving on from. I don’t think we’d miss him that much.

Reactions: NickH8

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Straight up? I would reluctantly agree but not add anything substantial.

I’d rather ride the course and exercise patience here. If nothing else, I feel another season here will raise Mantha’s value even further.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad