Would you buy out Chris Kelly this summer if he can't be traded?

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Yes to buying out Kelly. He is holding back some of our younger talent and is no more then a 4th line talent at this point of his career. The injuries have taken a toll on him.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Yes to buying out Kelly. He is holding back some of our younger talent and is no more then a 4th line talent at this point of his career. The injuries have taken a toll on him.

The younger talent is not being held back. They are still inexperienced and need time to get used to the pro game. Perhaps you missed the Spooner article where he was talking about how the coaching staff spoke with him regarding the areas of his game that needed to be worked on in order to secure a permanent spot on the roster. Their time is coming and they will get time when the time is right.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I voted 'No' - I don't think he will be bought out by PC and I wouldn't buy him out, either. I've long said that Kelly is a luxury on this team at his salary and I do think he's a bit overpaid for his skillset (and I'm not about to recant, now) - and if this can better string together wins by having Kelly on a different line than so be it...

- but if Clarkson can get over 5mil in free agency, I think other GMs would tolerate the 3mil salary of Kelly in a trade and a buyout, imo, is superfluous. Comparable players have comparable cap hits (see Paul Gaustad, Kyle Brodziak, Boyd Gordon, Danius Zubrus, Steve Ott, etc).

From Cap Geek (perhaps already posted):

Chris Kelly buyout from CapGeek.com

2014-15: $500,000
2015-16: $1,500,000
2016-17: $1,000,000
2017-18: $1,000,000

Quite frankly, that's not enough of a cap savings to justify a buyout. If he won't be on this roster next year, it'll be via trade. Sure, he has the NMC/NTC but he'll waive it (he'll just pick his destination and PC will only receive minimal assets back because other GMs know he'll be in a cap bind).

... and that's all I have to say about that.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
still doesn't change my opinion: other GMs would take that contract. just because we have two compliance buyouts doesn't mean we need to use them.

member 96824

still doesn't change my opinion: other GMs would take that contract. just because we have two compliance buyouts doesn't mean we need to use them.

I'm confused then, you said chia will trade him for minimal assets because of a cap bind...but if he cant, you wouldn't buy him out?

Would you rather let Smith, Krug, or Iginla walk?

B's have 9 mil in cap BEFORE bonus penalty to get a top 6 forward, back up goalie, Smith, Krug, Bartkowski, and a Thornton replacement.

They also have a guy in the minors who popped points at a 41 point pace for 3x as cheap as Kelly waiting.

When it comes down to it, a business decision needs to be made..is Kelly more important than 2 top 6 guys and a dynamic defender?

No.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I'm confused then, you said chia will trade him for minimal assets because of a cap bind...but if he cant, you wouldn't buy him out?

Would you rather let Smith, Krug, or Iginla walk?

there is no "can't" - I'll buy you a whiskey if he is bought out. I come into Boston occasionally for business and, if wrong, we can hit a bar and first round is on me.

But I don't think I'm wrong.;)

member 96824

The thread is "If kelly can't be traded"

I agree that he will be traded, but if he cant...they have no other way IMO

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
B's have 9 mil in cap BEFORE bonus penalty to get a top 6 forward, back up goalie, Smith, Krug, Bartkowski, and a Thornton replacement.

They also have a guy in the minors who popped points at a 41 point pace for 3x as cheap as Kelly waiting.

When it comes down to it, a business decision needs to be made..is Kelly more important than 2 top 6 guys and a dynamic defender?

No.

I agree with you on this front - but I don't think it'll be done via buyout. There are more than enough comparable to Chris Kelly to see that his salary is well within reason for the 'going rate' of a player of his ilk. GMs will miss out on FA's and Kelly will be cheaply picked up.

member 96824

there is no "can't" - I'll buy you a whiskey if he is bought out. I come into Boston occasionally for business and, if wrong, we can hit a bar and first round is on me.

But I don't think I'm wrong.;)

I don't think you're wrong either, in fact we agree:laugh:, but if it comes down to it...the draft has already passed and just like last year when Kelly was being shopped and couldn't be moved, he is still on the roster, it really ties Chia's hands.

I don't like whiskey, but I love I told you so so I will suffer through:laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Someone forgot to tell Brickley that Kelly sucks- just on Mut and Merloni and said likes Soderberg at center as he gets more comfortable in the league (agree)- but Brick likes Kelly on the wing and his ability to be a second center on the ice. I didn't sit in my seats last night but sat upstairs dead center ice and best game I've seen Kelly in a long time

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Someone forgot to tell Brickley that Kelly sucks- just on Mut and Merloni and said likes Soderberg at center as he gets more comfortable in the league (agree)- but Brick likes Kelly on the wing and his ability to be a second center on the ice. I didn't sit in my seats last night but sat upstairs dead center ice and best game I've seen Kelly in a long time

No, no, didn't you get the memo that Brickley is merely a shill for NESN and the Bruins?

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004

Agreed. If that's the Kelly we're going to get most nights I'd be fine with him sticking on the 3rd line. I'm also a big fan of having him on the wing and Soderberg in the middle.

Soderberg looks like an absolute beast out there.

BigBadBruins63*

guys a bum! jut get him off the roster...the sooner the better.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Agreed. If that's the Kelly we're going to get most nights I'd be fine with him sticking on the 3rd line. I'm also a big fan of having him on the wing and Soderberg in the middle.

Soderberg made a comment the other day about how he likes playing alongside Kelly as well. Hopefully their chemistry continues to develop, and Kelly can become an honorary Swede. :)

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

He looked excellent last night. Wouldn't mind at all having him on the wing if that continues.

Still think he would be a better fit for the fourth right now, as that line looked absolutely cooked against the 'nucks.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Injuries really must've hurt him, he scored 39 points and was a +33 in the 11-12 season. This year he would be on pace for a 19 point season in 82 games, and he's one of only a couple minus players on the team right now.

member 96824

He looked great last night no doubt. That line created a few good chances for sure.

Or..is this the point where I discredit vancouver and say wait until the "midwest swing"

Either way, he looked damn good last night...although I think the type of play he was playing from the wing last night, would honestly give the 4th line a shot in the arm it needs. We shall see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad