Would you buy out Chris Kelly this summer if he can't be traded?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Simple yes or no poll.

This is assuming noone will give us a 3rd or 4th rounder for him and in order to trade him we'd have to take an awful contract back which hurts the team. Is there a spot for him earning what he does for 2 more seasons?

Keep in mind that we have a unique opportunity to remove a player from our cap hit because of the last lockout. In 2015 buying out a bad contract won't be an option.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I'd put him on waivers before I bought him out, but does he have an NTC or nmc?

It would be cool to somehow keep him but just makes way too much for what he brings

Hopefully he can show up big in the playoffs and either have a nice last hurrah or give a reason to keep him

member 96824

Yeah...but I doubt it gets to that. He'll be traded to someone looking for some leadership and builds more of a top 6 bottom 6 forward group than we do.

Either way, depending on the Iginla situation, he more than likely needs to be gone opening day of free agency just to fill more important holes.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
I wonder what he'd say honestly if he were asked what he thought of his performance in his time as a Bruin. Honestly I think he got over like a fat rat $$$$ What was it 3 Million per.. ahhhhhh

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
I don't think it would come to a buyout. Someone without cap worries would probably take Kelly for veteran leadership.

But if for some reason Chiarelli couldn't find a suiter, with the contracts he has on deck to be re-upped, I think he'd have no choice but to buy him out.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Chris was an integral part of the '11 cup team but as definitely slowed and stalled since them. No doubt he's given his all but it is time to clean out some cap space and move ahead. I could see a team like Edmonton really drinking in his leadership and defensive prowess. We need more speed and athletic agility overall and his spot is a good place to start. I would make a huge effort to trade him first if they can't then yes buy him out but I would not waive him unless absolutely necessary since then he can end up anywhere (Montreal). If he were to end up there or Toronto I could see him coming back to haunt us.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I wonder what he'd say honestly if he were asked what he thought of his performance in his time as a Bruin. Honestly I think he got over like a fat rat $$$$ What was it 3 Million per.. ahhhhhh

He had a good year after our cup win. Think he scored 20 goals.

But it was a contract year of course he did that in.

We thought we were getting 30-35 points a year guaranteed on our third line from the guy and he completely conned us.

Its one thing if he is just snake bit we've seen Paille earlier in his time here blow a lot of chances and look like a black hole but Kelly has offensively just been bad consistantly since he got his extension.

The guy we gave 3 mil a year to after 2012 we'd have been happy to throw on a third line with 2 good Swedes.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Whats he get? 3 Million? That 3 Mill can go elsewhere.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I don't think it would come to that to get rid of Kelly and I don't think the Bruins management would do it either way. I'm pretty sure there are teams out there who aren't hard up against the cap that would be willing to pay 3 mill for a veteran presence, great locker room guy who's good defensively and decent on faceoffs.

It's too bad we gave him that contract because he would have been great as a 4th line center replacement for Thornton. Unfortunately we are too hard up against the cap next year to continue to pay that much for someone who really shouldn't be on our 3rd line anymore and we've got a younger, cheaper guy sitting in Prov with a greater upside who's ready to come up and take the 3rd center for good. I like Kelly a lot, he's been a terrific teammate but you can't justify the contract anymore.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
He had a good year after our cup win. Think he scored 20 goals.

But it was a contract year of course he did that in.

We thought we were getting 30-35 points a year guaranteed on our third line from the guy and he completely conned us.

Its one thing if he is just snake bit we've seen Paille earlier in his time here blow a lot of chances and look like a black hole but Kelly has offensively just been bad consistantly since he got his extension.

The guy we gave 3 mil a year to after 2012 we'd have been happy to throw on a third line with 2 good Swedes.

Perhaps he "completely conned" some fans, but Chiarelli has known Kelly for a decade or more, and had targeted him for a year before finally landing him in a trade. Obviously you don't approve of his contract, but it was hardly a snow job by Kelly.

As for a buyout, I doubt it would happen, as the contract is not on the Bryzgalov level of outrageousness, and the cap is going up next year. That doesn't mean Kelly won't be shopped; it's certainly possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
I don't think it would come to that to get rid of Kelly and I don't think the Bruins management would do it either way. I'm pretty sure there are teams out there who aren't hard up against the cap that would be willing to pay 3 mill for a veteran presence, great locker room guy who's good defensively and decent on faceoffs.

It's too bad we gave him that contract because he would have been great as a 4th line center replacement for Thornton. Unfortunately we are too hard up against the cap next year to continue to pay that much for someone who really shouldn't be on our 3rd line anymore and we've got a younger, cheaper guy sitting in Prov with a greater upside who's ready to come up and take the 3rd center for good. I like Kelly a lot, he's been a terrific teammate but you can't justify the contract anymore.

are we really that hard against the cap? capgeek.com projection is that the cap will go from 64 to 71 mill next year

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Perhaps he "completely conned" some fans, but Chiarelli has known Kelly for a decade or more, and had targeted him for a year before finally landing him in a trade. Obviously you don't approve of his contract, but it was hardly a snow job by Kelly.

As for a buyout, I doubt it would happen, as the contract is not on the Bryzgalov level of outrageousness, and the cap is going up next year. That doesn't mean Kelly won't be shopped; it's certainly possible.

Look, the guy who got a 3 mil contract after the 2012 season who had 20 goals would be a great fit for Loui and Carl. The guy we are seeing here in 2014 is an awful fit for them. We could have the best 3rd line in the game if Kelly hadn't fallen off so significantly.

Im not sure PC is thrilled with the way his old pal has played since he signed that deal.

And I think the fact that he isn't out and out lazy doesn't mean his drive and motivation is equal 2 years later after he signed the deal that guarantees him financial security. Ive read a couple comments from players that Kelly is the last player on the team who would want to watch a game of another NHL teams in his offtime on a road trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
If the Bruins need the space, he's (unfortunately) the guy to go. I doubt it will come to that (enough teams need help down the middle that even at his slightly-overpriced cap hit, there will be suitors for his services).

Of course, if the cap rises significantly enough (~$73+ million) there shouldn't be a real need to move him, and the B's can keep him in their bottom-six.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don`t believe Chia is a buyout kind of guy and unlike many here, I`m pretty sure Kelly is a guy a team would add who`s serious about 3rd line depth down the middle who`s won a Cup and been to two other finals on top of the win.

Blues lost Sobotka to a leg injury over the weekend, not sure about how serious, bit of history with them.

I`m not opposed to trading Kelly, but I am concerned about the ability for his replacement (assuming it`s Spoons) being able to handle NHL playoff style at this stage. I`ll bet Chia keeps Kelly this year, finds a new home for him in the summer

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
If the question is would I buy him out, yes. If the question is do I think the Bruins will, no.

I don't particularly care about his salary, which many people seem to be fixated on. I'd like him out of here because I think you need to move vets whose skills are diminishing for youth. Bruins don't forecast to be in any panic about cap next season, Savard is still on the books as LTIR if they need flexibility.

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
I would, just because of salary. Then again, I would not have given him $3 mill. Bruins won't, because of Kelly's history with Chiarelli and the (vain?) hope that Kelly will be more effective than he was these last two seasons.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I would, just because of salary. Then again, I would not have given him $3 mill. Bruins won't, because of Kelly's history with Chiarelli and the (vain?) hope that Kelly will be more effective than he was these last two seasons.

I have absolutely no proof of this but I truly believe that the buyout is not in Chia`s MO.

Flipside, Kelly was never as offensively solid as his 20 goal campaign would fool some to believe, nor is he nearly as bad as some here seem to believe.

I don`t feel he`ll(Chia) have any trouble finding a team who would like to add a playoff tested vet with a ring. I`ll say it again, if Scott Gomez could be moved, anyone can;)

And Kelly`s contract is far from a roster killer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad