Would you be in favour of retiring Spezza's number?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Is Speeza a hall-of-fame player? Is Phillips? Is Alfie?

Out of those three, the only one that is a sure-fire HOFer is Alfie. You retire his number.

Depending on who you talk to, without a Cup - Alfie isn't a sure-fire HOFer.
I think he should be, but he hurt his case by moving to Detroit.

That said. I don't think any player who has played for Ottawa so far merits to have the jersey retired. Doing a ring of honour for Alfie, Spezza, Neil, Phillips (and likely Karlsson) makes sense though.

Redden, Havlat, Hossa and Chara all had significant impacts depending on what criteria you use for the honour level.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No. Yes to Alfie, Phillips and Neil. But that's it. No ring of honor crap.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
The expos retired Raines and Carter, and neither won a WS (with the expos). I imagine in time Guerrero, Dawson, Wallach would have had theirs too.

The Lynx retired Carroll and F.P.'s

I think Alfie is a must, I don't care if he didn't win a Cup here. If a guy like Sundin is a HOF, he should be too. If a guy is a HOF, or fringe HOF (see Raines) and played a considerable amount of time in one place....it's an automatic IMO.

Look at other NHL teams and compare non-Cup winners that have been retired....

Canucks have 4 #'s retired, no cup, only one is in the HOF (Bure), Alfie scored more points, played more seasons and games for the Sens, than any of those 4 did for Vancouver

Sabres have 7 retired, no cup, only Perreault played 17 seasons (like Alfie), the rest were less.

Capitals, no cup, 4 retired

Blues, no cup, 6 retired

Coyotes, no cup, 4 retired

Kings, all five of their retired #'s didn't win a cup in LA

Alfie ranks #21 All-time in games played with a single Franchise...every player retired infront of him has their number retired (except Leafs - Armstrong), non-retired players include Doan (no cup), Brodeur, Marleau (no cup) and Iginla (no cup)

100% no doubt this guy should have his number retired

Phillips...there's an interesting case....I didn't think he should, until I looked up other teams. Glen Wesley has his number retired with the canes...not a flashy player by any means, and played for another team...he did win a cup... Phillips has played longer for the sens than Wesley, and is currently ranked #26 in all-time leaders of games played with a single team. He plays 60 games this year he'll be at #16. He's done alot in the community, not an All star, not a HOF, but given his term, I think he deserves it.

Speeza...he ranks in the top 100 for points with a single team...i liked him and wished we still had him...I'm not sure about his number being retired...i lean towards yes because I saw enough players from teams with no cup that played equal amount that had their numbers retired...

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I vote NO to retiring any numbers

I voted NO to the poll for Spezza because I do not believe in retiring any numbers. I like to see the numbers used by current players.

However, I do believe in recognizing important contributors on the team though. I think they should hoist banners of players names, numbers and perhaps pictures too in the rafters or in the hallways of the arena.

Regarding Spezza, I think it is too soon to make a decision. We should wait until he retires. The wounds are still too fresh at this time.

After he retires, I think his accomplishments and good memories of his play will and should be recognized.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
If Alfie's number isn't retire, it's a horrible move by ownership/management since it pretty much shows they can't get over a bad break up. I don't know selects who's jersey should be retired but not retiring Alfie's would be a huge mistake, the guy gave it his all here, he was the guy thru thick and thin.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Totally just voted for "retire it" by accident.

Yea right!

91jFlcJ.gif

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I'm probably a bigger Spezza fan than most on the board, and I don't blame him at all for pulling the chute in Ottawa, but I wouldn't retire his number.

Spezza had a great run but the combo of length of service, top end performance and leading winning teams just isn't there. I don't think there is a magic formula for when a player is worthy of having the number retired but there has to be something special about him and his relationship to the team.

It's not there with Spezza. The only player worthy of having his number retired in modern Sens history is Alfie. Alfie will probably end up being the only player of that stature in Ottawa.

King EK65

#KuldaApproved
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
I'm a big fan of Spezza, he has been my favorite since I started watching the NHL. But I wouldn't retire his number either.. I'd retire #11 Alfredsson though. (Which should happen and if it doesn't happen then it will be a big WTF)

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Not even a little bit. The only 2 players that come to mind when retiring numbers is Alfredsson and Phillips.
Maybe one day Spezza could've had that opportunity if he didn't bail out to Dallas.

And looking by the results of the poll, and reading most of the posts, most people agree.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Not even a little bit. The only 2 players that come to mind when retiring numbers is Alfredsson and Phillips.
Maybe one day Spezza could've had that opportunity if he didn't bail out to Dallas.

And looking by the results of the poll, and reading most of the posts, most people agree.

Calling people out every time I see this until it stops being posted.

Spezza was run out of town, he didn't bail on the team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Classic Ottawa fanism:

Ceaselessly call for Spezza to be traded, when he is traded, ceaselessly condemn him for bailing on the team.

He either:

Got tired of the loud and endless criticism and decided to leave.

or

Wasn't willing to sit through another rebuild seeing as how his contract was up.

Here's just a little snippet for the entitled fan:

None of the players on the team owe you anything beyond coming to the rink and trying to win games. When their contracts are up they are allowed to leave without so much as a by your leave. When they are getting traded they are allowed to work within the confines of the agreement that they signed. Spezza decided that he was not going to re-sign here when his contract was up. Why he chose this path is his business, and he doesn't owe any of us to play his whole career here. What he DID do for us, is let Murray know his intentions, so that he could trade him beforehand to get something back should he choose to. Spezza did not demand a trade, he did not ask for a trade, nor did he publicly mention anything about it at all, he did suggest that he'd be ok with one, and that he wasn't going to re-up at the end of the season.

Of course his number shouldn't be retired, but nor should he be vilified. He was an elite player for us, and a professional on and off the ice. This should be an amicable break up if there is such a thing.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Is this still going on?

For god's sakes, Spezza wanted to move on, Murray would've liked to keep him, but also acknowledged that the organization needed to move on too.

See? Everybody wins.

/end calling Spezza out for Bailing + calling out fans for criticism discussions.

I would in no way retire Spezza's #, but Alfie's should at the VERY LEAST, be in high consideration.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Retire:
Alfie
Phillips
Anyone who plays 1000 games for us (so maybe Neil)

Make a Ring of Honour for:
Spezza
Redden
Bonk
Fisher
Volchenkov

You guys are talking about retiring Chris Phillips' and Chris Neil's numbers... wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad