Would you be in favour of retiring Spezza's number?

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
On the one hand, he left in a pretty annoying way, and I'm kind of against it for that reason. While I hold nothing against Jason him for wanting to leave, vetoing the Nashville deal or anything that came from his side, I still feel slightly betrayed for no good reason I can think of.

He also left at only 31, and could be heading to Dallas with his best seasons ahead of him. In the Pizza line days, Alfredsson was between 31 and 34, and hit 100 points once (albeit in an offensively inflated year). When I was under the impression that he wanted to stay with us, I was definitely of the opinion we'd see at least two more seasons with 75+ points, and I don't think that that's unreasonable. So it could be that his legacy could be as etched into Dallas's history as much as it is into ours, especially if he helps them win a cup. In that case, retiring his number might not be a good idea.

On the other hand, I love the guy, the class he showed Ottawa as well as it's fans, in all the franchise's ups and downs, and especially his play while he was here. We've never had another player who could control the flow of the game like him, make other players better around him, and we've certainly never had someone who could dangle like him. He had some amazing years here, he centered the most productive line the league has seen in a very long time, tied for the lead in playoff scoring when that line carried up to the cup finals, and is among the very small handful of active players that managed to be PPG for their entire careers, every point of it with the Sens. I think that it's the least we can do for him.

I leave you with my fondest of all Spezza memories:

Do you think number 19 should be retired?

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think he had a big enough impact to get his number retired, despite being a great player. I think the org will at least honor his number (that's a thing, right?) but maybe not retire it.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
If he owned up to the captaincy role for a few more years and didn't leave a year after getting it, I would probably consider it.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Retire:
Alfie
Phillips
Anyone who plays 1000 games for us (so maybe Neil)

Make a Ring of Honour for:
Spezza
Redden
Bonk
Fisher
Volchenkov

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
no

The only living Senator that deserves to have his number retired is Alfie.

Spezza, in his first year as captain, literally bailed on the team instead of leading and giving it his own identity. Spezza was a very prolific scorer and immensely talented. I wish he didn't quit on this team but points alone don't get your number retired.

This was a quote from an Ottawa Citizen article from yesterday:

By the way, Cowen expressed zero surprise that captain Jason Spezza wanted out, even if “it’s not like he was telling everyone.”

I'm not sure how early in the season it started but Spezza definitely didn't only give up on this team at the end of the year.

Alfie went through some dark years and I'm convinced the only reason he left is because of Melnyk and his $ issues. He wanted one last chance to win and play with his "buddies". He never quit on the Sens. He might have been a bit too frank and direct with some quotes, that's who he was and wasn't a sign of quitting.

Liliaceae

hockey
Jun 21, 2007
Canada
No and no one else yet.

no

The only living Senator that deserves to have his number retired is Alfie.

Spezza, in his first year as captain, literally bailed on the team instead of leading and giving it his own identity.

Such ********.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Not a chance. And I hold zero ill will towards him for leaving, how he left, etc - he was totally within his rights.

But you don't retire guys for 700 games. I'm surprised anyone even thought of this.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Spezza nor Alfie have won us a cup, both bailed on this team. Love them both but neither deserve their number retired.

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
Retire:
Alfie
Phillips
Anyone who plays 1000 games for us (so maybe Neil)

Make a Ring of Honour for:
Spezza
Redden
Bonk
Fisher
Volchenkov

I respectfully remove my 'retire it' vote and now choose this option. Very good idea! 1000 games is a HUGE accomplishment. 1000 games with the same team is COMMITMENT!

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
I like Spezza, he is one of my favourite all-time Ottawa Senators however I do not think he had a big enough impact to have his jersey number retired here.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
No on in modern era Senators deserves to have their number retired. Maybe 65 one day if he stays here, gets the captaincy, wins at least one Stanley cup and continues his dominance at the defensive position while winning more Norris trophies. That to me is an exceptional contribution to the team and worthy of the team saying "no one will ever wear your number with this team ever again".

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
No on in modern era Senators deserves to have their number retired. Maybe 65 one day if he stays here, gets the captaincy, wins at least one Stanley cup and continues his dominance at the defensive position while winning more Norris trophies. That to me is an exceptional contribution to the team and worthy of the team saying "no one will ever wear your number with this team ever again".

I think you need to lower the bar a bit - it's probably worth retiring Alfredsson and maybe even Phillips because they are essentially the two biggest players of our modern era.

On any other team - they probably don't deserve it but we're a Canadian market trying to grow between two behemoths (Toronto/Montreal). Making Alfie and even Phillips a part of early Sens history is a good move.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think you need to lower the bar a bit - it's probably worth retiring Alfredsson and maybe even Phillips because they are essentially the two biggest players of our modern era.

On any other team - they probably don't deserve it but we're a Canadian market trying to grow between two behemoths (Toronto/Montreal). Making Alfie and even Phillips a part of early Sens history is a good move.

Why lower the bar on anything that requires absolute excellence to merit the honor? That's how I view a number retirement. Not as some cheap PR spin to dredge up a little cash and contrived history.

If you aren't considered one of the greatest players to ever play the game why should you get your number retired?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I respectfully remove my 'retire it' vote and now choose this option. Very good idea! 1000 games is a HUGE accomplishment. 1000 games with the same team is COMMITMENT!

Just to clarify, I don't think 1000 games should be mandatory to retire a number, it should just guarantee it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad