Would you be in favour of retiring Spezza's number?

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
I'd say theres a better chance of retiring Neil's number.

so that's a nope, lol.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I love Spezza and am not angry for him wanting out.

That being said he did ask for a trade: I'm not a huge fan of retiring the number of a player who didn't want to stay

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Alfie's the only one who should even be in consideration of that honor.

No Neil, Phillips, or Spezza. Shouldn't even be considered.

Heck I might retire Redden's #6 before I retire Spezza's number. Redden was a MUCH more important player for us, over a longer period of time, than Spezza was. Just goes to show you how much I disagree with retiring #19 any time soon.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't care about being "elite" or a hall of fame or anything like that

Players who have their number retired should be players who had a significant positive impact on the team for a long time

Do you remember the heritage classic game this season with Vancouver? Remember how embarrassing it was to see the Canucks bring out their 1994 second-best team as their big heritage moment? Do we really want to be like that?

Or would we rather be like other franchises and honor excellence and true legendary achievements?

Honoring "ok" players is like celebrating simply making the playoffs. If we ever do have number retired, or a ring of honor, I want kids in the future to look up and say "wow, you mean so-and-so really played for my hometown team? So cool!" not "who was that guy, daddy?"

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Alfie's the only one who should even be in consideration of that honor.

No Neil, Phillips, or Spezza. Shouldn't even be considered.

Heck I might retire Redden's #6 before I retire Spezza's number. Redden was a MUCH more important player for us, over a longer period of time, than Spezza was. Just goes to show you how much I disagree with retiring #19 any time soon.

I was thinking Alfredssons number should be retired, but then I remembered that he wasn't totally honest about his position, left the team for his Euro friends, and never won anything. If he hadn't left I would support retiring his number, but he took a massive dump directly on the team. Fair enough, he wants to win, but that isn't "retirement" worthy.

And yes, I would support retiring Yzermans number before Spezza's. He did more for Canada than that ego driven, whining underachiever ever did.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I was thinking Alfredssons number should be retired, but then I remembered that he wasn't totally honest about his position, left the team for his Euro friends, and never won anything. If he hadn't left I would support retiring his number, but he took a massive dump directly on the team. Fair enough, he wants to win, but that isn't "retirement" worthy.

And yes, I would support retiring Yzermans number before Spezza's. He did more for Canada than that ego driven, whining underachiever ever did.

I'm not thrilled about retiring Alfie's number either. He bailed on the team for a divisional rival with a marginally better roster.

It was fun while it lasted but the Alfie era is over and I'd rather move on at this point than go out of our way to commemorate him.

We did everything possible to show our appreciation while he was here and it wasn't reciprocated. Let him enjoy retirement in Detroit and we'll focus on the future instead of a past highlighted by losses to the Leafs and a lone finals trip where we were dominated.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
I'm not thrilled about retiring Alfie's number either. He bailed on the team for a divisional rival with a marginally better roster.

It was fun while it lasted but the Alfie era is over and I'd rather move on at this point than go out of our way to commemorate him.

We did everything possible to show our appreciation while he was here and it wasn't reciprocated. Let him enjoy retirement in Detroit and we'll focus on the future instead of a past highlighted by losses to the Leafs and a lone finals trip where we were dominated.

Exactly. The team we knew and loved from the late 90s to 2007 is very much dead and buried. It is time to move forward with the rebuild and forget about these guys.

What bothers me is that all this BS that has plagued the team since 2008 can all be attributed to trying to hold together a good team that wasn't nearly good enough. Imagine the return on Spezza if we traded him when he demanded a trade in 2010? Something we should have done considering his inability to take any advice from any coach he has ever had. His mind was already at the point where he wanted out ...4 YEARS AGO! Then the team stupidly made him Captain. And crazy management decisions, partially due to fan support, resulted in a truly stupid plan to find a winger to play with Spezza and build around him.

I read the writing on the wall in 2008, in the playoffs against Pittsburg when Crosby absolutely nailed Alfredsson, clean, and put him on his ass. That's when I had a sick feeling in my stomach that this team was done and it was better to move forward with a rebuild rather than bet everything on some defensively Pejorative Slured, non-leader like Spezza. I think Alfredsson knew that as well; that the league was getting better and faster every year, and he was slowing down. BM couldn't face this reality, and here we are. We got very little for Spezza, Alfredsson skipped town, Heatley completely boned the team. Actually, all that is perfectly fitting now that I think about it. ****ing one line team.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I love how quick people are to forget. He was run out of town, that's now turned to "he bailed on the team." Good god you guys are nuts.

Why would his number be retired, more than half the fans hate him and wish he had left sooner.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I love how quick people are to forget. He was run out of town, that's now turned to "he bailed on the team." Good god you guys are nuts.

Why would his number be retired, more than half the fans hate him and wish he had left sooner.

Some fans weren't Spezza boosters and more have turned on him since he asked to be traded, such as the Lakota guy:

Last edited by a moderator:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Yes his soft non contact style, followed up with quitting on every other defensive play, and his "don't tell me how to play" attitude with the coaches screams for future generations to honor, if that doesn't get it done, I am sure his cut bait and run when the going gets tough, puts him over the top.

I for one am glad he is gone and he can take his loser attitude and number with him.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
No way.

I loved Spezza as much as the next Sens fan, or the ones who liked him anyway, but he did not do enough to have his jersey retired.

He was given the C, crumbled under the pressure, and asked to be traded because he wasn't going to re-sign here after his last year because he wanted to play for a team where no one pays attention. All in his FIRST year as captain.
Him being so picky about wanting to be traded to a low-pressure team outside of Canada made it hard to get a good return for him, too.

I don't blame him for wanting out, but.. we're talking about retiring his jersey number. No way in hell.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Some fans weren't Spezza boosters and more have turned on him since he asked to be traded, such as the Lakota guy:

I didn't know Ottawa Ghost was inappropriate.

edit

Actually on second listen the language is pretty raw.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad