Would you be fine with a World Cup Instead?

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
The NHL doesn't need the IIHF.
The Olympics provide no jump in ticket sales for the NHL.
No jump in TV ratings either.

What did the NHL gain from Sochi?

Tavares injured.
Zetterberg injured.
Zuccarello-Aasen injured.
Kopecky injured.
Barkov injured.

It's a disaster.

The NHL absolutely needs the IIHF, Bettman may never admit it but as I said their sanctioning of the league is what allows the Europeans to come over. In years past this was never a huge issue as the NHL paid better and thus the almighty dollar attracted players. However, the KHL can pay that kind of money and in many cases allow the Europeans to not leave home. If for one second the IIHF dropped the sanctioning of the NHL, the league would resemble the 1960s NHL, except with 30 teams meaning it would almost be automatic for anyone who plays more than one season in the CHL to end up in the NHL.

What did Sochi do for the NHL? It exposed some new nations to NHL style hockey. Slovenia may not be a huge market, but the interest in their team was huge. As a result, the LA Kings and by proxy the NHL may have new fans. It also gives the NHL the right to break into the former Yugoslavian market for TV rights.

Also, I believe that NHL ratings have trended upwards in Europe since the NHL players started going to the Olympics. Contrary to popular belief ticketsales are not the driving force for the NHL as a league. What they want is exposure to new markets and sell their TV rights and merchandise. By participating in the Olympics it does this.

As well, the NHL stands to benefit from these regions in terms of future prospective players. Take Slovenia for instance, young children are watching the Olympics and would never have paid hockey a second glance, suddenly are enthralled by hockey and thus you see development of prospects in about 10 or 15 years.

Here's the biggest thing Sochi brought to the NHL, the likely need to go to South Korea. With South Korea having major companies headquartered there, coupled with an untapped TV market, could mean huge dividends for the league. Take Hyundai for instance, it isn't a major sponsor of the NHL as a whole. The NHL players play at the Olympics, Bettman and his advertising cronies can work Hyundai into advertising on their games. With the best players playing in South Korea for the games, he can.show Hyundai what great NHL hockey looks like. Thus, generating new money into the NHL.

As for the injuries, the players knew the risks going in. If they were worried about injuries they wouldn't have gone to Sochi. Besides, who's to say that the same injury wouldn't have occurred in a NHL game held that same day?

I don't see how the NHL at the Olympics has been anything but a major success for the league.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
No, I think the NHL should strengthen the bands with the IIHF and both focus on the World Championship instead!

It will never happen under the current schedule. The only way that the World Championships and the NHL become a major factor on both sides is two fold. First, as the NHL will never shorten their season or the playoffs, the Worlds would have to move to August like the Canada/World Cup is. The second thing is the tournament needs to be held in North America.

However, there is no strengthening the bonds between the NHL and IIHF necessary. The Worlds happen and the NHL participates the best it can. Is it best on best? No, but then again what sport has a best on best World tournament every year? I can't think of any. Soccer has the World Cup every four years (the Olympics mean diddly squat in Men's), baseball has the World Baseball Classic every four years (as MLB wouldn't shut down there isn't baseball in the Olympics), basketball has their World Championships happen every four years, two years after the Olympics are held. So I am not sure why hockey has a World Championships every year?

I enjoy the World Championships, but I am probably in the smaller group as far as Canadian hockey fans go. I do not follow the NHL, I follow the LA Kings, when their playoff run (or lack thereof) is over, so too goes my interest in the NHL. Frankly, unless my Kings are in the Stanley Cup Finals I rarely watch any of it. However, since there is always Canada at the Worlds, I always have a team to cheer there regardless of the roster. But I am unlike most Canadian fans who regardless of the teams in the NHL playoffs watch it passionately.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Here is a World Cup Format

8 teams only Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russia, Switzerland

play 3 rounds a best of 3 series, no group play. Randomize who plays who every year. Play all 3 games in one country to cut down travel. To decide who gets it just flip a coin like Am Football. Or international ranking like Davis Cup. The max number of games you will play is 9 and only in 3 countries. This way you ALWAYS have a hosting nation playing. No Russia-Sweden Final played in Toronto.

You do realize that a best on best tournament like that needs to give every nation in the world the possibility to qualify, or else there isn't a best on best?

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
The test of if it's the prestige of the Olympic brand that makes the tournament exciting lies in the bronze medal game and emotion in the preliminary games. I think for the top teams its the fact that its best on best that makes the Olympic hockey special......but for the smaller countries the prestige of the Olympics means more. I don't think the tournament needs the Olympic name to bring out the best in the players.

What a World Cup would need is some legitimacy and involvement from the iihf. I am fine with no Olympics and a World Cup instead as long as the NHL treats it as a truly international tournament and not just an NHL controlled money grab. Ideally....you'd have it in February IMO and shorten the NHL schedule...since a good chunk of the revenue would go to the NHL. August and September is a horrible time for hockey. But we know that's not gonna happen as a reason the NHL doesn't like the Olympics is interrupting the regular season.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
The NHL absolutely needs the IIHF...

Here's the biggest thing Sochi brought to the NHL, the likely need to go to South Korea. With South Korea having major companies headquartered there,

Super post on all points. And I had not even considered the corporate dollars that could be unlocked by going to Korea. Well done.

Thesensation19*

I want more international hockey. I love Olympic hockey, I want the World Cup of Hockey. I want it alternating every 2 years with one another. Just like soccer has the Euro and the World, I want two large tournaments as well.

The Championship can be every year as such.

Defeatist*

It wouldn't be as exciting or meaningful to me. The backdrop of the Olympics and prestige along with best on best is the combination you need. Otherwise it'll probably feel like the world baseball classic during spring training that a lot of people don't care about. It's just an artificial tourney with no meaning or history with players in spring training shape and effort.

habs2014

Feb 23, 2014
Olympics. There is a special feeling that goes with the Olympics. Gold medals, world stage, etc.

World Cup is in North America with home crowd and N.A ice in Toronto or New York, etc. - this gives Canada an advantage.

The Europeans don't care as much and some skip it. Compare that to the Olympics which is a big event for them.

One reason Canada Cup in 1987 was great was because we didn't get to see Russians and Czechs in the NHL. There was that East vs West communist/capitalist rivalry back then. Then the Berlin wall went down in 1990 and then the Russians and Czechs came over.

Who actually remembers the 2004 Word Cup?

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Olympics. There is a special feeling that goes with the Olympics. Gold medals, world stage, etc.

World Cup is in North America with home crowd and N.A ice in Toronto or New York, etc. - this gives Canada an advantage.

The Europeans don't care as much and some skip it. Compare that to the Olympics which is a big event for them.

One reason Canada Cup in 1987 was great was because we didn't get to see Russians and Czechs in the NHL. There was that East vs West communist/capitalist rivalry back then. Then the Berlin wall went down in 1990 and then the Russians and Czechs came over.

Who actually remembers the 2004 Word Cup?

Absolutely agree that there is a special feeling about the Olympics but does it transcend beyond those 2 weeks?

Once every 4 years for the past several Olympics I get interested in curling. Has that translated to me watching any other curling events over the 3 years and 50 weeks in between? Answer- No.

Last couple of Olympics I watch downhill cross and other x-games inspired events, because it's the Olympics and country pride is on the line. Has this translated to me wanting to watch the x-games? Answer again- No.

A World Cup tournament would instill the same country pride in hockey as much as the Olympics would do.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I hope the NHL returns to the Olympics, but I don't think there is much chance. A World Cup is not the same thing at all or even very close to it.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Absolutely agree that there is a special feeling about the Olympics but does it transcend beyond those 2 weeks?

Once every 4 years for the past several Olympics I get interested in curling. Has that translated to me watching any other curling events over the 3 years and 50 weeks in between? Answer- No.

Last couple of Olympics I watch downhill cross and other x-games inspired events, because it's the Olympics and country pride is on the line. Has this translated to me wanting to watch the x-games? Answer again- No.

A World Cup tournament would instill the same country pride in hockey as much as the Olympics would do.

I disagree to a point.

I am no big curling fan, but I have watched the Scotties Tournament of Hearts and the Briar purely because I saw curling first in the Olympics. Obviously Im not a big fan, but im aware of the big names and do have some interest to follow what goes on.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. I wouldn't mind a world cup simpy because it could be held during the NHL off season, and it has the potential to abandon the shootout in favour of continuous OT. I hate the ****ing shoot out.

Gold medal, ugly trophy . .. doesn't make much of a difference. Best on best hockey is best on best hockey.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Exhibition hockey in August with players in pre-season form, playing for some trophy nobody knows what it even looks like? WOOHOO!

If I was a player, I'd probably be pissed to have my summer cut short by the "World" Cup

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
No.
The only people who seem to be in favor of having this tournament are North Americans. The only World Cup I watched (2004) wasn't all that interesting to me and I much prefer the Olympics. The only people who will watch this world cup will be die hard hockey fans, in the Olympics every casual is watching and it makes it much more special.

Last edited:

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
Here is a World Cup Format

8 teams only Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russia, Switzerland

play 3 rounds a best of 3 series, no group play. Randomize who plays who every year. Play all 3 games in one country to cut down travel. To decide who gets it just flip a coin like Am Football. Or international ranking like Davis Cup. The max number of games you will play is 9 and only in 3 countries. This way you ALWAYS have a hosting nation playing. No Russia-Sweden Final played in Toronto.

Some of the most exciting play was from teams not in this tournament you are proposing. Personally I love the stories of a small nation winning its first Olympic hockey game and would be sad to see that story not be included in an international tournament .

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Didn't find the Olympics outside of hockey all that great, so as long as the hockey keeps up, so be it.

Canada proved themselves. They can now move on.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

No. The Olympics are King, everything else is meh!

I did not enjoy the hockey, on the big ice, like I did in Vancouver. My preference...

1) Olympics on the small ice.
2) World Cup - split, 1/2 in Europe, 1/2 in NA.
3) Olympics on the big ice.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
IMO nothing compares to winning Olympic Gold. World Cup of Hockey would come and go with few people caring or remembering it.Canadians will always remember 2010 .The US will always remember 1980. I just think it's a waste of time with little significance .

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Personally, I much prefer the Olympic tournament. I just don't think a World Cup will bring the allure the Olympics do.

EDIT: Looking back the 2004 tournament, I do remember all my friends and I totally into it. We were camping the Labour Day weekend and were huddled around a radio listening to the Canada/Russia game. There was about 12 of us at a house for the final vs Finland. But after winning, it was like "Meh, that was nice. Oh look, a lockout!"

I liken a World Cup to the World Juniors. No doubt Canada will be into it, but outside of us? The likes of Russia, Sweden and Finland aren't going to care much about a tournament that's completely controlled by the NHL.

Last edited:

NorthernILHawksFan

Feb 14, 2010
IL
I'd like to see a World Cup every four years, as well as the NHL in the Olympics every four years, so we have a best on best every two years.

I think a World Cup could work well - if it's done right. And doing it right, I think, means playing it in February. It also means getting the IIHF involved, and not holding the championship in North America every time. Basically, don't make it like the World Baseball Classic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad