Would you be fine with a World Cup Instead?

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
No.

Olympics are just on another level. I don't think anyone in Europe cares about World Cup (or Canada Cup).

The players care. When we've had Canada/World Cups, european players don't skip. That should be enough for European fans to care and if they care more about the WHC than the World Cup, then, lol, I don't know what to tell them because the WHC is nice but it's the equivalent of a Consolation Trophy compared to a World Cup.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
The players care. When we've had Canada/World Cups, european players don't skip. That should be enough for European fans to care and if they care more about the WHC than the World Cup, then, lol, I don't know what to tell them because the WHC is nice but it's the equivalent of a Consolation Trophy compared to a World Cup.

World Cup is a money grab. Purely commercial *****. I am sure it flies just great in North America. In Europe, no one cares.

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario
A World Cup would probably make for a better overall tournament, but the Olympics have that special feeling that just can't be replicated.
If I have to choose one or the other, I'd pick Olympics.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
World Cup is a money grab. Purely commercial *****. I am sure it flies just great in North America. In Europe, no one cares.

Kinda like the world cup that they play now, just in reverse caring?

I'm telling you fact.

You want the best out of your athletes in a best on best, then it has to be the big O, no comparison.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Every sport is a commercial money grab. You know like NBC airing Mcdonalds, Coke, and BMW commercials non-stop.

Yea, well, we don't have ANY commericals during hockey games. So like I said, it must be a NA-thing. I don't see why anyone should care for Canada/World Cup. It lacks history and prestige.

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
A World Cup would probably make for a better overall tournament, but the Olympics have that special feeling that just can't be replicated.
If I have to choose one or the other, I'd pick Olympics.

This. I guess most players would also prefer the Olympics. The Olympics just have a much higher prestige/standing than any event in any sport where athletes participate for their countries.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Yea, well, we don't have ANY commericals during hockey games. So like I said, it must be a NA-thing. I don't see why anyone should care for Canada/World Cup. It lacks history and prestige.

Instead of commercials, you guys have advertisements all of the jersey, cars on display at the arena etc... Same money grab man.

It does lack history but I want a more complete tournament. This compacted 10 day tournament is not the answer. Hockey should have its own showcase and not having to fight for time with figure skating. It would be nicer if we had more teams and have this thing last 3 weeks.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I don't like this. Obviously the NHL won't stop for the World Junior so teams would just be missing their players. I would pissed if Pittsburgh was missing Maatta this season.

There has to be a tradeoff for the IIHF to make a World Cup mandatory. I realize the NHL/NHLPA could go it alone, but since there is no Cold War anymore, there isn't any specific incentive for any team besides Canada and the US to participate. The only other solution is to require the NHL to release all players who are invited to go for the World Championship. I'd rather lose a U20 for a couple weeks in December/January than during the playoffs.

Besides the Canadian Hockey League has this issue too. Their seasons continue during the World Juniors and have the added issue of the U17 World Hockey Challenge taking players too. If I remember right one WHL team a couple years ago lost 8 players including their starting goalie. Honestly, there are very few players who are in the NHL that are World Junior eligible and are wanted by their respective countries. Perhaps only rookies and minor leaguers would fall into this, thus saving the Oilers from loosing players for two or three years in a row. There could also be a rule that if your team has multiple players that are eligible they can withhold one.

Ultimately, for the World Cup to work, it needs the IIHF on board, so there has to be some concession in return to the IIHF by the NHL. The IIHF could threaten to declare the NHL (and its respective minor leagues) rebel leagues, if it wanted to play hardball. If they did that, it would mean anyone who plays one second in any of these leagues would be ineligible to play in any IIHF sanctioned league or tournament. By doing so, the flow of Europeans into the NHL would end and it would likely see at least a few top Canadian and American prospects going to Europe instead of the NHL. This would also see the ECHL and Central Leagues disappear, as the majority of their players bounce between a year there and a year in Europe. The IIHF holds considerable power that if it decided to exert it against the NHL, it could damage the league immensely. Food for thought before the NHL decides to head down the road to a World Cup.

Sundinforever13

Feb 19, 2012
OK ,so no ,KHL,AHL,ECHL and the other Euro leagues, is that what you want?

You would run out of players for many countries.

You can keep your high minded ideals.

I only get to this event every 4 years I WANT the best on best no matter how technical you want to split how they survive in this world.

You can stuff your amateurs only.

For the record, by your standards there is already one and it's called the WJC and how many counties actually care about it?
why would anyone oppose olympic hockey having the best of the best? and who really prefers a bunch of mid season NHL games over olympic hockey with the best?

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
The world cup would only benefit the big nations. The smaller nations wont benefit at all. So I think the world championships + the Olympics are great. No need to change something that Works. The world of hockey is bigger than the big 7.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
There has to be a tradeoff for the IIHF to make a World Cup mandatory. I realize the NHL/NHLPA could go it alone, but since there is no Cold War anymore, there isn't any specific incentive for any team besides Canada and the US to participate. The only other solution is to require the NHL to release all players who are invited to go for the World Championship. I'd rather lose a U20 for a couple weeks in December/January than during the playoffs.

Besides the Canadian Hockey League has this issue too. Their seasons continue during the World Juniors and have the added issue of the U17 World Hockey Challenge taking players too. If I remember right one WHL team a couple years ago lost 8 players including their starting goalie. Honestly, there are very few players who are in the NHL that are World Junior eligible and are wanted by their respective countries. Perhaps only rookies and minor leaguers would fall into this, thus saving the Oilers from loosing players for two or three years in a row. There could also be a rule that if your team has multiple players that are eligible they can withhold one.

Ultimately, for the World Cup to work, it needs the IIHF on board, so there has to be some concession in return to the IIHF by the NHL. The IIHF could threaten to declare the NHL (and its respective minor leagues) rebel leagues, if it wanted to play hardball. If they did that, it would mean anyone who plays one second in any of these leagues would be ineligible to play in any IIHF sanctioned league or tournament. By doing so, the flow of Europeans into the NHL would end and it would likely see at least a few top Canadian and American prospects going to Europe instead of the NHL. This would also see the ECHL and Central Leagues disappear, as the majority of their players bounce between a year there and a year in Europe. The IIHF holds considerable power that if it decided to exert it against the NHL, it could damage the league immensely. Food for thought before the NHL decides to head down the road to a World Cup.

The NHL doesn't need the IIHF.
The Olympics provide no jump in ticket sales for the NHL.
No jump in TV ratings either.

What did the NHL gain from Sochi?

Tavares injured.
Zetterberg injured.
Zuccarello-Aasen injured.
Kopecky injured.
Barkov injured.

It's a disaster.

Karma_

Mar 12, 2004

Tavares injured.
Zetterberg injured.
Kopecky injured.
Barkov injured.

It's a disaster.

Best players playing in Olympics is best for hockey, and what is best for hockey is ultimately best for NHL.
NHL acting like isolationist "North Korea" of the game is horrendously stupid idea.

Sundinforever13

Feb 19, 2012

Tavares injured.
Zetterberg injured.
Kopecky injured.
Barkov injured.

It's a disaster.

Sports are about the players and the fans.

The players WANT to play. The fans WANT to watch international hockey in the olympics. Plus if you're a Canadian and don't support an NHL team that's won a stanley cup or likely will, then this was great for you (likewise of course for me).

Who cares what a bunch of greedy owners want?

Nuggets

Feb 12, 2014
Canada
Here's what we do if we want World Cup:

Do it every 4 years.

16 teams.

1 Host Country.

Top 12 IIHF ranked teams.

4 Qualifiers determine the last 4 teams.

4 groups of 4.

Playoff Bracket: 1-16, 2-15 and so on.

HAS to be run by IIHF to be worth it.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
There has to be a tradeoff for the IIHF to make a World Cup mandatory. I realize the NHL/NHLPA could go it alone, but since there is no Cold War anymore, there isn't any specific incentive for any team besides Canada and the US to participate.

I think there is. Stop the NHL for 2 weeks like they do with the Olympics or have it in the off-season and I think NHL players from every country will participate. Maybe some players will skip and KHL players won't bother. But build up the tournament over the years and I think you can make this a worthwhile event on it's own. But the Europeans need to feel that this isn't the Canada Cup. Move the tournament around. Russia, Sweden, Finland, etc should all host the tournament, not just Canada and USA.

It will never be the Olympics, but you can make it into a legitimate international tournament. It will take time though.

Nuggets

Feb 12, 2014
Canada
As of right now your World Cup Teams Would be:

Canada
Sweden
Finland
United States
Czech Republic
Switzerland
Slovakia
Norway
Germany
Latvia
Denmark
France
Belarus
Austria
Slovenia

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
No, I think the NHL should strengthen the bands with the IIHF and both focus on the World Championship instead!

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
No, I think the NHL should strengthen the bands with the IIHF and both focus on the World Championship instead!

It's doable if the World Championships are willing to move to a different time. The NHL playoffs are more important for the NHL players, it's unfortunate but the timing just isn't right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad