Would you be fine with a World Cup Instead?

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
world cup should replace olympics

The players seemed drained and maybe all the commotion of the Olympics didn't help.

Maybe a world cup of hockey every 4 years will produce more excitement than the hockey we've seen Sochi.

Olympic hockey was really underwhelming.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
There has been talk that the NHL want's to bring back the World Cup. Assuming NHL players do not participate in 2018 (which it seems like they arent) Would you be fine if with a World Cup of Hockey to satisfy your hockey needs for a best on best tournament?

Personally, i would rather have a world cup that starts in August/September, maybe right before training camp. That way we really get to see the best players face each other, without injuries given the summer to heal up.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I'd prefer a World Cup taking place off-season, on NHL sized ice, with a better tournament format than this.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Damn straight. It would also allow more time for teams to practice and establish chemistry and no need to stupidly shut down the NHL for two weeks mid-season and it's a no brainer.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Yes. I love the best of three final as opposed to the single game elimination where a single bad bounce can kill you.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
On NHL-sized ice? 3 game series like the Canada Cup? Yeah, it'd have potential for better hockey, but the stakes wouldn't feel the same.

Hubie

Jan 18, 2010
Finland
No thanks, unless they change a lot of things starting with the timing. In the past it just felt like a pointless pre-season exhibition tournament that's slanted to favour NA teams.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
No.

Olympics are just on another level. I don't think anyone in Europe cares about World Cup (or Canada Cup).

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I dunno, my biggest priority is to get best on best and the World Cup comes without a laundry list of player injuries. That being said, it likely would not be as intense due to the likely timing of it.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
No thanks, unless they change a lot of things starting with the timing. In the past it just felt like a pointless pre-season exhibition tournament that's slanted to favour NA teams.

Unless the Olympics are in North America, we can say it's slanted to favour other countries with the rink size..

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
No. Not the same thing at all. The 1996 and 2004 World Cups were forgettable events, other than to North American fans. 2004 especially was dull and pointless. It's not the same when the NHL organizes it, games scattered all over the place. Hockey should always remain part of the Olympics, with the best players playing. It adds the cherry to the Olympics and the players get to be part of a special atmosphere.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Now that pros go to the Olympics it is almost the same thing.

The only thing I preferred about the World Cup is that the finals weren't single elimination.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
One or the other but not both in the same year as that would be a grueling long season for the players. The Olympics is the bigger international stage though.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
No. Not the same thing at all. The 1996 and 2004 World Cups were forgettable events, other than to North American fans. 2004 especially was dull and pointless. It's not the same when the NHL organizes it, games scattered all over the place. Hockey should always remain part of the Olympics, with the best players playing. It adds the cherry to the Olympics and the players get to be part of a special atmosphere.

But 1984 and 1987 were two of the best tournaments in the history of hockey.

I think the shine is off, but it would still be a lot of fun to watch.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
In a perfect world, I want a best-on-best tournament with more teams, more parity, in the NHL offseason, NHL-ice, NO SHOOTOUT, a few more games to watch, and best of 3 series in the semis and finals. THAT would be interesting.

If a few more countries develop their hockey prowess, and we could potentially have a 20-team tournament with 4 groups of 5 where the top two in each division advance to the quarters, and not with only 4 or 5 teams posing a threat to win, we could have an awesome World cup.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011

This is a good point.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
There has been talk that the NHL want's to bring back the World Cup. Assuming NHL players do not participate in 2018 (which it seems like they arent) Would you be fine if with a World Cup of Hockey to satisfy your hockey needs for a best on best tournament?

Personally, i would rather have a world cup that starts in August/September, maybe right before training camp. That way we really get to see the best players face each other, without injuries given the summer to heal up.

Oh heck no ,AINEC.

1) You won't see the players in full season form, like we get now.

2) I guaranty you that Olympic medals mean way way more to the players from all hockey nations then any other nation vs nation H tourney. More passion, more commitment=better hockey.

Heck ,I'm old enough to remember when players used to bow out of these kind of tourneys for hang nails. Cut their summer vaca short so owners can make more cake?

The big O will pale anything we try to create.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
If they decide to remove NHL players from the Olympics im fine with World Cup, there gotta be some best on best tournament. However id rather keep it the way it is.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I hope someone smashed this abomination into a million pieces.

OLVL000Z.jpg

Poor Mario. He looks like someone just handed him a dead fish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad