Would the Wild have been more successful the last 7 years without the Parise/Suter signings?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Filip Johansson was such an off-the-board pick that there wasn't even a highlight reel of him available that the network could show while he was making his walk to the stage.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Well you could add Pouiout (4oa), and Sheppard (9oa), Gillies (16oa). The all had NHL careers but wouldn't come close to their draft spots that in any re-drafts.

Yeah, i've always been of the opinion that those 3 missed picks held us back as much as anything.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah, i've always been of the opinion that those 3 missed picks held us back as much as anything.

Gillies yes, but we didn't properly develop Sheppard (rushed) and Pouliot (better as a center, could have been something centering Demitra and Gaborik).

P10p

May 15, 2012
Gillies yes, but we didn't properly develop Sheppard (rushed) and Pouliot (better as a center, could have been something centering Demitra and Gaborik).

Yeah, if even one of those guys was a home run all star pick, this franchise looks way different. If Sheppard and Pouliot both turn out how they were touted, this team could have had some real forward depth in Mikko's prime.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
At the time, Pouliot was taken about right where he was expected to go.

P10p

May 15, 2012
At the time, Pouliot was taken about right where he was expected to go.

Not sure why you feel the need to mention this as its not contradictory to anything anyone has said. But cool! :help:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
With all the couldof-wouldof discussed; Here's mine … .

Wild drafted and then traded away a future Norris trophy winner, "Burnsie" .. How's Zack Phillips doing now?

There were concerns about Burns contract. The biggest what if, is if Koivu had taken a bit of a discount his third contract. Instead of 6.75 million, he had taken 4.5 or 5 million?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not sure why you feel the need to mention this as its not contradictory to anything anyone has said. But cool! :help:

I guess my point was that the Pouliot pick, itself, wasn't really a "miss" in the sense that it was a reach.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Correct, he wasn't a reach... but still a miss.

It's odd; but he'd still be a 1st round pick based off the amount of games he played (24th overall), goals scored (10th overall), assists (23rd overall), and points (15th). Like if he was taken in the mid-1st round, he'd been a success. But since he was a top 5 pick, he didn't live up to expectations.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I haven't done the math, but it seems that if Burns could play along side of Thornton, Marleau and Pavelski than why couldn't the Wild signed him?

Wild were gearing up to sign Parise and Suter. It was a surprise that they signed him that low, but Thornton and Marleau weren't making a ton (think like 15 million between the two or less) and Pavelski was making 4 million.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I haven't done the math, but it seems that if Burns could play along side of Thornton, Marleau and Pavelski than why couldn't the Wild signed him?
Because our team was in cap hell. We didn't have room for both Koivu and Burns under the cap even with what Burns signed for after the trade. Still took a lot more cap maneuvering over the next year to clear space to be in the Suter Parise sweepstakes.

One of the biggest problems was Backstrom's contract though.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We still should've never paid him $6m in the cap era. Paying goalies top goalie dollars is a cap killer. He was getting top goalie level dollars at the time. Dumb cap move.

Up until 2012-2013, he was a top goaltender though. There weren't a lot of options. Extending him after his contract was up was a dumb move by Fletcher.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Up until 2012-2013, he was a top goaltender though. There weren't a lot of options. Extending him after his contract was up was a dumb move by Fletcher.
I don't care that he was a top goaltender, you don't pay top goaltender money in the cap era. It's cap suicide.

DR signing him to that deal was the reason Fletcher couldn't even approach Gaborik.

Goalies just aren't worth that large of cap % period imo.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
DR signing him to that deal was the reason Fletcher couldn't even approach Gaborik.

That misstep is as much responsible for setting this franchise back as any missed draft pick or stupid contract did. The memory of losing Gaborik for NOTHING still haunts me to this day.

Wow, that was 10 years ago.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

That's not true; Gaborik signed a 7.5 million contract, which Fletcher could have matched. In 2009-2010, the cap was 56 million.

I'm not going to do the math, but they did bring in Martin Havlat for I believe 5 million? 4.25 million a year? They also brought in Petr Sykora for 1.6 million...I mean you're telling me that Fletcher couldn't have approached Gaborik over...$1.65 million dollars because of Backstrom?

BTW, Backstrom's contract wasn't even top money:

Cristobal Huet signed for 5.625 million in 2008
Ryan Miller signed for 6.250 million in 2008
Jonas Hiller signed for 4.5 million in 2010
Miika Kiprusoff signed for 5.833 million in 2007
Pekka Rinne signed for 7 million in 2011

His cap hit was kind of in the middle, a little high, but it was very manageable and comparable to what other goalies were making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad