Would the NHLPA try and veto if a team's stars all took 75% mkt value so the team could compete?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Florida Tax calculator for Kucherov's $9,500,000
upload_2021-6-4_12-38-1.png

Florida Income Tax Calculator - SmartAsset

What Kucherov would take home in Toronto:
upload_2021-6-4_12-38-21.png

https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-ca/tool/tax-calculator/

$1.35 million take-home a year is a LOT of f***ing money.

Reactions: 780il

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
$1.35 million take-home a year is a LOT of f***ing money.

Isn't like baseball or other sport where you pay the tax rate of the state you play the game, so 41 games + sen's game at that Ontario rate and the same for Tampa, that would reduce the gap a bit I feel like, but it would still be quite a bit. But exchange rate can sometime do a lot of good in the other direction.

has for the general question, now that the mass of player get roughly a percentage of the league revenues I imagine they would care way less than when maybe Kariya-Selanne taking a one year at a low price deal with the Avs, Mario Lemieux paying himself only 2M a year when he was in part the owner or Brodeur did not use an agent, but even in all those example they did not veto, putting pressure on them seem possible but veto seem out of reach.

Reactions: Cootsfanclub

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
As a point of reference.
If Kucherov wanted to take that SAME amount home in Ontario:
his salary would have to be $12,395,652 per year.

upload_2021-6-4_12-44-59.png

Kucherov IS the highest paid player in the NHL.

Reactions: 780il

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Isn't like baseball or other sport where you pay the tax rate of the state you play the game, so 41 games + sen's game at that Ontario rate and the same for Tampa, that would reduce the gap a bit I feel like, but it would still be quite a bit. But exchange rate can sometime do a lot of good in the other direction.

has for the general question, now that the mass of player get roughly a percentage of the league revenues I imagine they would care way less than when maybe Kariya-Selanne taking a one year at a low price deal with the Avs, Mario Lemieux paying himself only 2M a year when he was in part the owner or Brodeur did not use an agent, but even in all those example they did not veto, putting pressure on them seem possible but veto seem out of reach.
Is that how it works?

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Is that how it works?

In the usa for nfl, basketball, baseball yes:
Income Taxes For Pro Athletes Are Reminder Of How Complicated U.S. Tax Code Is

Athletes file taxes not only in their home state but also in every state—and some cities—in which they play. Not every state uses the same calculation to determine what portion of an athlete’s income to tax, and some use different calculations based on the sport. For example, Pennsylvania taxes baseball, basketball and hockey players on the ratio games in the state over total games played, including pre- and postseason, but they tax football players based on days worked in the state over total days worked. Michigan uses the same method but excludes the preseason. Most other states use the days worked method. Arizona uses that method but excludes days worked in the pre-season (otherwise MLB would be shopping for a new spring training home).

A baseball players posted is pay stub:
TyrGObW.0.jpg

Could be wrong but I think hockey is quite similar, so during a covid year Canadian player paid Canadian type of tax all year's long, I imagine. Has you see the athlete pay tax in every state he played games during is pay period.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Stamkos Kucherov and Hedman did exactly that. All 3 did a solid to Tampa. Nobody cared at the NHLPA.

Did they tho? Most guys were staying just under the 10 million mark untill Dubas set the bar.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
NHLPA (agents) would probably be upset that they don't get the same amount of dues/commission, but its better than getting fired and getting 0$.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Players for your team don't care as much as you want them to about 'keeping the team together by taking a steep discount'. I'm sorry.
Each player thinks about their own situation. The top guys can afford to take less if they wish.

but take a guy like Blake Coleman. He make the nhl after finishing college and spent time in the A. Career earnings will be around $7 mill and he’s like 30 now. This off season is his only shot at a big contract. He needs to capitalize on it.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I have to imagine other plays wouldn't be pleased at their own value being dragged down if, say, MacKinnon and Landeskog took massive underpayments to keep the core together.
I mean, I love hockey. But there are no violins played for millionaires playing this game. I think when you are talking star money, I don't know how much of a life style change it is for a guy making 7 million vs. the guy making 11. Obviously 11 is more (especially over the course of a 6-8 year contract), but unless they are living an extremely extravagant lifestyle, I don't think Pastrnak (making 6.66 a year) is struggling and angry over his choices versus a guy like Marner making 11.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean, I love hockey. But there are no violins played for millionaires playing this game. I think when you are talking star money, I don't know how much of a life style change it is for a guy making 7 million vs. the guy making 11. Obviously 11 is more (especially over the course of a 6-8 year contract), but unless they are living an extremely extravagant lifestyle, I don't think Pastrnak (making 6.66 a year) is struggling and angry over his choices versus a guy like Marner making 11.
When you get good enough to warrant a big contract you will be a ufa when that time comes around. So your choice if you wish to remain with that club.
Say Makar takes a discount on his bridge with Colorado it will affect Bryan down the line after he is done his elc. And if Makar does it again on his 3rd deal that eats into his ufa years then when Byram is nearing ufa he can pull a Trouba an foot for arbitration to hit ufa if he doesn’t want to remain in Colorado at a price significantly lower than what he can get.
Guys just have to decide to leave not stay. Their choice.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Obviously there's no way of truly calculating this, but $5 mil with a far greater chance of a Cup win (more money saved, to improve the team in other ways), over $10 mil with less flexible surrounding cast and - quite possibly - inferior team?

Not as cut and dry as just picking the higher number.

To you and I, sure, since we're not pro athletes and we'll never see this kind of money. I would think that a pro athlete gives it more thought.

Look at Tavares, he turned down an extra $2 million or so, per season, offered by San Jose, because he wanted to sign in Toronto.

That kind of thing happens every year.
You are definitely right players take cuts to try and win and/or play where they want. But $2M when you're already making $11M is quite different than the initial example of taking a 50% cut from $10 to $5.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
do you know how much is the difference between 20 million and 25 million when your career might end at any minute.

A lot.

Lol no. Unless the players walks away and says they never want to play again, their salary is guaranteed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Does the PA lobby top UFAs to keep other players who get a contract hung around their neck as a comparble in? Yes. Can they do more than ask? No

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Lol no. Unless the players walks away and says they never want to play again, their salary is guaranteed.
Well thanks captain obvious, I am referring to additional contracts and their relative short lifespan as professional athletes. Their window to earn money is much smaller, better to get paid while you can.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Pasta's first 2 seasons were excellent as well, while he wasn't a PPG player he was consistently making the type of plays that only the leagues premier players make, it was apparent that he was going to continue to improve on his 34G/36A season.

You could also say the same thing about an Omark or Schremp, the production matters more than how pretty it looked for negotiations.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
In the usa for nfl, basketball, baseball yes:
Income Taxes For Pro Athletes Are Reminder Of How Complicated U.S. Tax Code Is

Athletes file taxes not only in their home state but also in every state—and some cities—in which they play. Not every state uses the same calculation to determine what portion of an athlete’s income to tax, and some use different calculations based on the sport. For example, Pennsylvania taxes baseball, basketball and hockey players on the ratio games in the state over total games played, including pre- and postseason, but they tax football players based on days worked in the state over total days worked. Michigan uses the same method but excludes the preseason. Most other states use the days worked method. Arizona uses that method but excludes days worked in the pre-season (otherwise MLB would be shopping for a new spring training home).

A baseball players posted is pay stub:
TyrGObW.0.jpg

Could be wrong but I think hockey is quite similar, so during a covid year Canadian player paid Canadian type of tax all year's long, I imagine. Has you see the athlete pay tax in every state he played games during is pay period.

Yes, salary is taxed where it's made. This is why teams like Toronto give out enormous signing bonuses. Auston Matthews, for example, is making league minimum salary and 15 or whatever million in bonus that he gets lump sum and would be taxed in Arizona, rather than Ontario. This would also help avoid losing money to 'jock tax'.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The NHLPA would never do that. It's up to the players to have their own balance of "money vs. wanting to play for a franchise." What I find sickening are the players who come out and say, "That's up to my agent -- he handles all of that" as if they have no say. You pay your agent to facilitate your best interests, not dictate your life, where you play, and how much money you make.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The NHLPA would never do that. It's up to the players to have their own balance of "money vs. wanting to play for a franchise." What I find sickening are the players who come out and say, "That's up to my agent -- he handles all of that" as if they have no say. You pay your agent to facilitate your best interests, not dictate your life, where you play, and how much money you make.

If it would be in that direction, actor/athlete paying their agents a monthly fee it would look like that, but often agents are not paid like that, purely a commission on what they make, changing the nature of the relationship and where the money come from, after a while for a powerful agency it is more the studios/team owner that paid them than their clients, I could imagine agents that accept to take players only if the player accept that they will maximise their pay.

Specially if the agents work for an agency that has say 45 NHLer clients, 1-2 clients moving the pay in a direction can hurt all their direct comparable clients handled by a coworker that will piss off the agent boss that pay them, the owners of the agency, it is not literally true and they could find a different and lesser agents instead, but it can have a bottom of truth to it.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
Well thanks captain obvious, I am referring to additional contracts and their relative short lifespan as professional athletes. Their window to earn money is much smaller, better to get paid while you can.

We're not talking about journeyman hopping from team to team. It's more for RFAs that end up signing for long terms.

A $1-$2M guy taking a 50% pay cut doesn't go a long way.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Selanne and Kariya took 5-9 mil discounts to win in Colorado and no one cared

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad