Would the NHLPA try and veto if a team's stars all took 75% mkt value so the team could compete?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah but imagine having the opportunity to make $10M instead of $5M.... you would turn that down? Doubtful.
Clearly you dont know what Kariya did. In his final years with the Ducks he was making 10M a season as an elite player. Coming off that 10M at 29 years old which was the prime age back then, being a ppg player the previous season, he signed for 1.2M. If he was after money teams would have easily offered him 10M again as he was still worth it but he wanted to play with his best friend in Selanne, and wanted to win a cup so he took a massive paycut, and Selanne took a minor paycut. Both players no doubt could have gotten a combined 14M minimum if they didnt take paycuts. They both came in at a combined hit of half that of 7M.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Players should be out to maximize their earnings. And win. It’s why having a salary cap with such a small margin from max to floor is horrible. The whole league is a homogenous, slippery version of pinball, evidenced by the Vegas fiasco in 17/18 and just a consistent lack of a rewarding result in games to teams with talent.

Boston has more talent the New York. We all know it. They’ve outplayed the Islanders, clearly, in four of the five games in the series. Game four was virtually a wash. Both teams work hard, they play a fun brand, yet somehow the team with more talent is on the verge of losing the series. That is just one example.

This stuff happens every year to several teams. An underdog story is nice once in a while, but this current brand that the NHL doles out every year just results in random outcomes that no one can predict and no one can explain after the game or series.

It was laughable watching the post game of Montreal/Winnipeg tonight. The experts don’t know what to say because what the hell can you say? Winnipeg sweeps a team with two generational players and then gets swept by a team full of generic, dime a dozen players with a goalie who everyone said was done during the regular season. You can’t make this stuff up lol.

I don’t understand how anyone can take the NHL seriously. Before I get accused of being biased, I have no skin in the game. I have not watched this league consistently in around 10 years. My living situation changed on June 1st and my roommate has it on. Rather than tell them it’s dumb and go do my own thing, I’ve been watching these games and socializing. Hard to take anymore though.

So you want a sport where the outcome is predictable based on the lineup on paper, where hard work will never beat out talent, and big market teams with cash always wins? Seems fun and entertaining.

Reactions: auximenes

DCHabitant

Feb 24, 2013
So you want a sport where the outcome is predictable based on the lineup on paper, where hard work will never beat out talent, and big market teams with cash always wins? Seems fun and entertaining.
Yes. Let's get rid of the cap and have Montreal, Toronto, Rangers, Hawks and Bruins dominate year after year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So the Islanders have just worked harder than the Bruins? That’s why they’re up 3-2? The Bruins don’t want it enough, right? Not enough chemistry? Same with Winnipeg, Edmonton, Toronto, right?

An expansion team in 17/18 just wanted it more than the entire Western Conference, right? They worked harder than everyone but Washington when they decided to stop working hard?

The Sens should have won the cup this year if they were allowed in the postseason. They always work hard. Right?

Well they wouldn't take so many penalties if they wanted enough, so yeah. Edmonton didn't want it more than Winnipeg, Toronto didn't outwork Montreal and neither did Winnipeg, not sure what you need there.

If you're talking like talent and work ethic are mutually exclusive then yes maybe sports are not for you.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yes. Let's get rid of the cap and have Montreal, Toronto, Rangers, Hawks and Bruins dominate year after year.

Yes I love all the cups those teams won in the 90's and early 00's without the cap, so dominant.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is exactly why you cannot have serious discussions. People are emotionally attached to these leagues and refuse to admit there are glaring issues within the league. Good teams should generally win, yes. An underdog story is nice once in a while but the NHL has several of those every single year lol. That’s a lot of team who decide to just not work hard and try to win the championship looool

Good teams do generally win...you do know the cup winners are generally top teams in the league right? You're upset because the Islanders, the 4th seeded team who finished behind Boston by 2 points has the series lead?

You're just attached to your terrible theory.

Reactions: Refuse

Mr. Fancy Pants

Sep 20, 2002
Gifu
Visit site
In the pre-salary cap NHL the PA did pressure players to get the max they could. With a salary cap and a guaranteed slice of the HRR, it doesn't matter. Every player in the league could take the minimum but their salaries would be adjusted upwards so that the players get 50% of revenue.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It was nice hearing of a good team win last year. Not that I watched.

St Louis won the year before and spent weeks (months?) in last place. Lol

Vegas, in their expansion year, finishes 5/31, wins the division and makes the final. Laughable.

and as far as boston/new york goes, yes, it’s awful. It’s a teribly unfulfilling result thus far in a series where the play has been lopsided.

So were Pittsburgh x 2, Chicago x3, Boston, and Washington not good teams that won or does that just not fit the narrative?

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
NHLPA (agents) would probably be upset that they don't get the same amount of dues/commission, but its better than getting fired and getting 0$.

Think it from this perspective. If your a star player and you tell your agent. "Hey, I know you think I can get 10 million a year. I just really love this team, I want to compete for a cup with them. Tell them I'll sign for 7." He will happily do it. A happy star will bring in more clients. If he then in turned tried to hard ball the GM, the player would find out about it. Now the agent has a shitty rep and is losing clients left and right. Agent's are there to represent their clients interests. If their client says I want to take a 30 percent cut to stay with this team. Then that agent better damn well ensure it get's done.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Each of those teams were very close to being eliminated much earlier than round 4. Once agin, the issue is that almost every game comes down to luck, whether there is a small variance in talent between teams or a 1 vs 8 situation. I don’t need to go through each example.

how do you explain Vegas? How does an expansion team making the final not completely discredit the entertainment value of the entire league? If that happened in the other three major sports, help me god.

It sounds like the NBA would be more up your alley, where the same 2 teams appeared in the finals something like 5 years in a row.

The NHL has way too much randomness in its game. I am probably being a bit unfair but it just gets stupid seeing seemingly every game decided by some chucklehead bouncing a pass off someone’s skate for an easy tap in. Or a goal mouth scramble of 12 players. Or some terrible penalty calls. No one can even string more than two passes together because there’s no room. Goodness, gracious.

Yup, it sounds like hockey really isn't your thing.

Reactions: Refuse

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Clearly you dont know what Kariya did. In his final years with the Ducks he was making 10M a season as an elite player. Coming off that 10M at 29 years old which was the prime age back then, being a ppg player the previous season, he signed for 1.2M. If he was after money teams would have easily offered him 10M again as he was still worth it but he wanted to play with his best friend in Selanne, and wanted to win a cup so he took a massive paycut, and Selanne took a minor paycut. Both players no doubt could have gotten a combined 14M minimum if they didnt take paycuts. They both came in at a combined hit of half that of 7M.

Agreed.... and while 10 million dollars is a lot of money today, it was worth even more back then. I.e. it could get you more than it does now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad