Would the NHLPA try and veto if a team's stars all took 75% mkt value so the team could compete?

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I mean, I love hockey. But there are no violins played for millionaires playing this game. I think when you are talking star money, I don't know how much of a life style change it is for a guy making 7 million vs. the guy making 11. Obviously 11 is more (especially over the course of a 6-8 year contract), but unless they are living an extremely extravagant lifestyle, I don't think Pastrnak (making 6.66 a year) is struggling and angry over his choices versus a guy like Marner making 11.
Exactly, some logic and common sense in here.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Maybe someone has numbers, but imo for each underpaid player there are gonna be overpaid ones, because if a couple teams "hoard" cheap talent, then there's less talent to go around the rest of the teams and those will pay a premium to get those guys in

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don’t recall the NHLPA being upset about Kariya and Selanne, but maybe I’m misremembering
It was a different time though. Back then the PA wanted every player to get as much as they could as there was no split with the owners.

Now if a player takes less all it really means is others have a chance to make more. If anything it's probably not a bad thing as it would lessen a divide within the PA.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Why would they ? Everyone has a choice, you can take more money, or take less so your GM can actually help build a good surrounding team. Nothing wrong with players taking less so that they can have a more competitive team. Cap circumvention is a different story, but I don't see why anyone would complain.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
Funny, I think if you ask around here most of us would say we'd be able to take care of our respective family just as well with $5 million as we would with $10 million. :laugh:
So if you live comfortably and your boss/company offered to double your salary you would tell them no?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So if you live comfortably and your boss/company offered to double your salary you would tell them no?

That's not what I'm saying, and that's not what is being asked here, I think.

This is about pro athletes taking paycuts on their next contract for the good of the team.

Not Joe Everyman getting a raise at his 9 to 5.

Of course I'd take more money if I could.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Don’t they pay tax based on where each game is played? So there would still be a benefit, but not as large as your numbers, no?
Yes.

All these calculators massively oversimplify paying taxes and are not really a reflection of the real world, especially with US federal and state taxes.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
NHL players get 50% of hockey related revenue. If the contract values across the league total less than 50% of HRR, then a correction would be applied to give them more than what their contracts state. If contract values across the league total more than 50% of HRR, then escrow takes some $$ away.

The precedents set by star players going for big money or taking discounts can influence distribution of that money between top end vs lower end players, but otherwise it doesn't impact the total amount of $$ going to the players.

So I don't see why the NHLPA should care. It's arguably a conflict of interest if they do, because if they push for the MacKinnon's of the world to go for bigger contracts, it means less $$ available for the depth guys.

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
Yeah but imagine having the opportunity to make $10M instead of $5M.... you would turn that down? Doubtful.
I might turn it down if doing so granted me a serious opportunity to achieve something that money cannot buy...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I dunno look at Tampa. Lowest tax rate, nice weather, great state to be in, good management, and seems like a good group of players that are focused on winning. They all took discounts to be part of a better team.

If I was a hockey player and the difference between $9.5M and $12M was all of the above plus I got to consistently compete for the cup, it would be a no brainer to me.

Another $20M when you already make $100M won't change your life in any measurable way. But being in a stable, good environment definitely will.

This + popular former players can easily land sweetheart jobs with their former teams. I.e. anywhere from coaching, to helping the GM to being a "community ambassador" or something like that.

I know when Tavares took less to sign in TO an added benefit was he could easily make six figures + in retirement shaking hands at Leaf games + charity events like Clark does now.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I think you underestimate how badly most players want to win a cup-they do they do indeed. However, they want money and the ability to take care of their family more.

1) Money
---
--
-
#
2) Stanley cup

Employer: "you seem like the right guy for the job and so we'd like to go ahead and hire you, just one more thing to iron out though"

You: "wow, cool, yeah anything what do you want to know"

Employer:" "well, we were wondering if you'd be cool with minimum wage, but we'd be willing to pay you double that, your choice"

You: "uhhhhh I'm gonna go with double if that's ok?"

Employer: "nice, sign right there and it's all official"

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Years ago didnt Kariya and Selanne signed for peanuts to play in Colorado with Sakic and Forsberg( if i remember correctly it turned out a disaster)

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
As long as the NHLPA has a Superstar pushing the boundaries of the Salary Cap maximum. In the past it was Jagr, now McDavid, setting the upper tier. But I keep waiting for a Super Team like event happening at some point. Sakic, Blake and Roy or Selanna and Kariya type stuff. Players with enough money should be chasing or building for a Cup. That's the dream isn't it?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
They have no say, hence the "free" part of free agency.

Happens all the time, guys take less for the good of the team.

Just on the Bruins you have Pastrnak signing for "only" 6.67 a year over 8, Marchand for 6.125 and Bergeron at 6.875. Even McAvoy signed for only 4.9

You can make an easy case that Pastrnak and McAvoy took 75%. Marchand signed his right when he was breaking out so that's a little different
Pasta only signed for 6 years not 8. I wouldn’t say his was a discount considering where he was when he signed

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
No offense intended but that is exactly the kind of comment that a non-millionaire would make.
Lifestyle creep is a thing.

Millionaires aren't gonna slum up it in a 800 dollar a month apartment with no amenities, not buy a nice car and take vacations and all that stuff rich people do.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
If it doesnt break any specific rules of the CBA what can they do?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Years ago didnt Kariya and Selanne signed for peanuts to play in Colorado with Sakic and Forsberg( if i remember correctly it turned out a disaster)

It was a little more complicated than that, for Kariya at least. Due to the CBA at the time, if he signed a contract for below the league average, he would become a free agent several years earlier than normal, and then could sign a far larger contract the next year. The chance to team up with Selanne (who was seen as washed up at that point), and play for the chance for a Cup, was an added bonus.

And it's worth noting that while Kariya took a massive pay cut, Selanne did not (going from $6.5 million to $5.8 million).

Reactions: mouser

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
They have Vito power?

maxresdefault.jpg

Ohhhhh! There he is...tell that fat f*** he's gotta get back to his kid. You know they found him in the cemetery knocking over grave stones? Of course our friend from NY wants him dead...but he's my top earner...

I gotta think

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Agents are a way bigger factor than many in this thread realizes. Most players have no idea how/don't want to negotiate and just leave it to their agents (which is smart, or there would be a lot of cases where they'd be fleeced). The added benefit of it is they don't really have to answer to their teammates when they get a really nice contract. The agents job is to get the player as much as possible in line with the players wishes and their pay is a percentage of what they manage to get the player. To say that it's just about "taking a discount to win" or greed is to over-simplify the issue. Agents compete with each other too. Getting your client a better contract than other agents manage on the same team might turn heads in the locker room and gain you more clients in the future.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
No offense intended but that is exactly the kind of comment that a non-millionaire would make.

It’s not like he’s wrong so I don’t see your point. This is a single year of their lives we’re talking about. Let’s not act like anybody is struggling to take care of their family at 5 mil a year or act like it’s even a real concern past a point way before that. That’s cashing out, greed and maintaining an insane standard of living versus Cup chances. Not being able to take care of my family versus Cup chances.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I have to imagine other plays wouldn't be pleased at their own value being dragged down if, say, MacKinnon and Landeskog took massive underpayments to keep the core together.
the nhlpa cant do shit but scold the players. Look at what kariya and selanne did when they signed with the Avs. Selanne took a 700k paycut as one of the best players and UFA. Kariya took a 8.8M paycut. It didnt work out anyways

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad