Speculation: would speaking french be a hurdle for Babcock to work in Montreal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Why would Molson do this? Team's making more money than ever. Molson knows having a french coach is probably good for business.

Um, because he wants to win a Cup and it may be dawning on him that MT might not get him that Cup? A Cup-winning team is also good for business. :)

Btw, on that note, there was a post somewhere that speculated, with valid arguments, that Game 2 against the Lightning was not sold out. Lot of seats available at game time.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Why would Molson do this? Team's making more money than ever. Molson knows having a french coach is probably good for business.

Coaches don't sell jerseys but good teams certainly do. Additional playoff rounds are great for business too. I'm sure he couldn't care less what the media says if its unfounded and the angry fans minority is always going to be angry and isn't profitable to begin with.

Just saying. And bear with me here, but even multi-millionaires have irrational dreams and ambitions. Its human nature, we are not 100% rational being, nobody is. Molson would be happy to see the Habs win for more than money I'm sure. Surely he'd look forward to that, the team is his toy, he's a fan too. So far he's seemed to be ''that'' kind of owner. It would have been cheaper and more profitable for him to keep the ''wheel of mediocrity'' rolling, like they have in Toronto.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

A coach able to speak with more than a 10 word vocabulary would also be good.....english and french.

And Molson would make as much money no matter who's the coach, it's the Habs after all.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
A coach able to speak with more than a 10 word vocabulary would also be good.....english and french.

And Molson would make as much money no matter who's the coach, it's the Habs after all.

Also, I could see the chance to play for a top coach like Babcock as an argument that might sway a potential free agent, just like playing with the likes of Price, Patches and Subban. I cannot envision MT having that effect. Quite the opposite, or at best, a neutral perspective.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
It's a transition year. So why not transition into a coaching staff that can draw up a proper PP?

Oh yes.

I really miss looking forward to powerplays. On the plus side I'm far more critical of reffing even when it favors the Habs, seeing how a PP opportunity for the Habs takes away all momentum.

Its really embarassing. Imagine you could go back in time and tell this to people in 2007 (when we had a league leading powerplay) :

Hey guys! In 2015 we'll have a powerplay whose that can use Markov, Gonchar and that new prospect? Subban? Well he won a Norris and he's there too! Pleky's still there and still pretty good, we have a young promising forward selected top3 that wears no27&stickhandles like its previous owner AND there is a strong, fast skating 6'2'' left wing that scored 39&37goals in the last two seasons (definitely not talking about Latendresse!). We also have a 110pts team btw.

Well guess what? We have the most pathetic powerplay in the league! I mean come on how is that even possible?

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
It's a transition year. So why not transition into a coaching staff that can draw up a proper PP?

Except, Montreal lost their composure,took needless penalties and their penalty kill unit faltered. Now TBL power play must be really confident with a goalie killer Stamkos all fired up. Keep your composure boys and if you need to take a penalty make sure its a good one.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC

They are making money, that is for sure. At some point, however, fans will feel cheated if the on ice product is not better. While watching the game on Sunday, the somberness in the Bell Centre was quite noticeable. The Habs have lost 3 of the 5 games they have played there this playoffs and have not shown the fans much in the way of entertainment. If management feels that Babcock can turn this around than he should be considered as a replacement for Therrien this offseason.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
As a Québécois I'm pro-Babcock. We have Bergevin already. Just tell him to say Bonjour and Merci and hire a Québécois assistant coach like Guy Boucher or something. Just hire the best coach, regardless of language. If it's a tie, then take the French one, but I'd much rather Babcock than Therrien.
I think most FLQ and even moderate type Francos would not care in the least bit about who coached the Habs as long as said coach was the path the glory. Since MTL is made up of a majority of Bilingual people, speaking French is secondary (at best). It only matters to the Politicians up in QC.
Babcock would nullify any issues Pur Laine would have as even they couldn't argue the brilliance of the move. He is the World's best and Olympic Coach and is EXACTLY what the Habs need to bring them to the next level. Not since Bowman would we be in this situation.
MTL makes top 5 money in the league and will have to pay him top dollar: $5M/year for 5 years. No biggy for the Molson's even though they'll swallow the MT contract to boot. MT will wind up in the management side to save face, and probably work alongside MB as an asst GM or something.

It really is quite a simple process. and a no brainer considering the Habs will be out in 4. there's nothing MB or MT can say to save face after this series. except for addressing the glaring weakness at coach and missing a top 6. Announcing Babcock as the next coach would turn the whole city into a frenzy!!!

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It's kind of funny and sad that rather than the discussion being, "man we'd be so lucky to get Babcock!" It's "he doesn't speak french, would Bergevin bend his rules."

The first stage is whether or not they'd even consider it, which puts them already behind the 8 ball for teams that will be going all out. Not only would they have to sell him on the team, but they'd have to sell him on the idea of being chastised in the media by racists. Good luck.

What do you think would be said if they released a statement saying "Quebec has a rich history Catholicism, therefore to respect that the Montreal Canadiens will not consider hiring any Protestants." I can only imagine.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Le français, ça s'apprend beaucoup plus rapidement que le niveau de coaching que peut nous amener Babcock.

Bring him please.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal

if a 110 points season is a transition year, can't wait to see what it will be when this team as arrive..... then again, it might be a transition going down.... damn....

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
It's kind of funny and sad that rather than the discussion being, "man we'd be so lucky to get Babcock!" It's "he doesn't speak french, would Bergevin bend his rules."

The first stage is whether or not they'd even consider it, which puts them already behind the 8 ball for teams that will be going all out. Not only would they have to sell him on the team, but they'd have to sell him on the idea of being chastised in the media by racists. Good luck.

What do you think would be said if they released a statement saying "Quebec has a rich history Catholicism, therefore to respect that the Montreal Canadiens will not consider hiring any Protestants." I can only imagine.

We don't need to sell him the city, he knows it and loves it.

Babcock is the best coach in the business, he'll be welcomed with open arms... which was a lot different with Cunneyworth, he had no place here, but thank you for Galchenyuk.

Again, being sensible with the local aspect doesn't mean we are blinded by it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
If we had a vacancy there would be no problem with bringing in Babcock. I'd love to see someone argue against the man who brought us a gold medal just last year.

ROSSter

Jul 5, 2011
It's a shame MT just signed a new contract. If not I'd hope Bergevin would kick the tyres with Babcock, considering he's possibly testing the market and has ties to the city.

McClane

Mar 11, 2015
We don't need to sell him the city, he knows it and loves it.

And if we were such a racist city, how come there are so many anglos coming here to study ? We had none french speaking coaches in other sports with no problem whatsoever, but we'll still be labeled as racists...in that regard, who are the racists may I ask ?

Babcock is the best coach in the business, he'll be welcomed with open arms... which was a lot different with Cunneyworth, he had no place here, but thank you for Galchenyuk.

Again, being sensible with the local aspect doesn't mean we are blinded by it...
And even if a segment of the media didn't welcome him, Babcock is a big boy and can handle the pressure. He might even need it and would probably miss it in a smaller market.

By the way, has anyone read his book, "Leave No Doubt"? It's horrible. :laugh:

mtl_felix

Sep 10, 2006
Lavaltrie, Quebec
Hire the best coach there is, give it a few weeks and I'm willing to bet nobody would even care about that issue at all. I mean really, what does in matter in the big scheme of things? MT's press conferences are so void of any substance anyway that I cant imagine anybody would wait in front of their TV for him to speak up (other than l'Antichambre I suppose).

So again, what does it really matter? Subban's out there on TV every single day and that doesn't stop TV stations from using translators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad